Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

license restrictions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-11, 06:37 AM
k2sty1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default license restrictions?

hey guys
as most of you guys on here are in America i wanted to ask

do Americans have "license restrictions"
as in, if ur a new driver you can't drive certain cars

<- for example, in Australia when you first get your license, for 1 year you are a "learner" and have to display "L" plates on the front and rear on the vehicle and have to have a "full license" driver with you at all times (mum, dad, instructor etc) and have to rack up 120hours of driving (you get a log book to write the hours in) you can also drive ANY car (V10, Turbo, dads IS-F, lol)

after the year and the 120hours, you can go for your driving test and if you pass, you get a Provisional License (P1, which gives you 4 points, full license have 13 points) which then you have to display red "P" plates on the front and rear of the vehicle
this is also when you can only drive vehicles that are under 200kw (270hp) and are NOT allowed to drive any car with 8 or more cylinders or any car with a Turbo (except diesels) or a Supercharger
so basically you can only drive a N/A 4cylinder or 6 cylinder with less than 200kw

then after 1 year, you get another provisional license (P2, which gives you 7 points on ur license) the same vehicle restrictions apply, but you now display green "P" plates on the vehicle. you keep your P2 license for 2 years, then you finally get a full license -> just a insight into Australian NSW license laws

also, one more question
what is a, good, fastish, car that fits in those laws?
350Z's, IS350's, G35's, M3's are all out of the question
since the reason i "resorted" to a IS250, i would have LOVED the extra power on the IS350

thanks
Old 04-26-11, 06:45 AM
561Lexus
Driver

I know all states are different but in Florida, you get a learner's permit at 15, and you can drive any car as long as you are with a 21 or older licensed driver... you have to get something like 50 or 60 hours driving and then at 16 you go for your driving test and if you pass you can drive alone anytime before 11pm, when your 17 you can drive up to 1am and when your 18 you can drive anytime... there are no restrictions do what you can drive just than it is any non-commerical vehicle with a GVWR less than 26,001 lbs... Also, motorcycle's require an additional endorsment (test).
Old 04-26-11, 06:55 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

Wisconsin goes as follows:
15.5 years old you can get learners permit - can only drive with parents/family/someone older than 25 years old

Take test at 16 - if you pass you have a GDL license for 6 months - only one other person in your car and you cannot drive after like 10pm or before 6 am *unless for school or work*
If you make it the 6 months without a problem you're good to go, any problems mean you add time to the GDL
Old 04-26-11, 06:58 AM
k2sty1
Pole Position

forgot to mention, with a P1 license, you can only have 1 passanger under 21y/o between 11pm - 5am
Old 04-26-11, 06:59 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In California it's the same as Florida except that when you get your license under the age of 18 you cannot drive anyone in your car under the age of 21 for a full year. 11pm - 6am you cannot drive at all until you are 18. A pickup truck that has a commercial plate is okay to drive but a Commercial vehicle and motorcycle is under a different type of license.
Old 04-26-11, 07:21 AM
MicaIS250
Driver School Candidate

Dang I'm glad I grew up in Iowa! We got our learners permit at 14 (could only drive with parents or by yourseld to school if you could get a school permit. License at 16 with no restrictions except if you got a ticket it was automatically loss of license. There may have been a curfue, but if there was I didn't know about it, and at 17 got full license. All them others states seem strict! lol
Old 04-26-11, 07:55 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my driving permit @16 not sure when I got the actual DL.... Its been a while. The drivin over there sounds to be much more strict. Could be a good thing though.
Old 04-26-11, 02:28 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Thats pretty smart, restricting the kind of car you can get, if that were the case here in New york, at least 3/4 of my student parking lot in high school would have to change their cars
Old 04-26-11, 05:38 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

No vehicle restrictions in the U.S.

Smart law if you ask me, it could prevent stuff like these from happening. If you ask me, I think even 270 hp is too much for a beginner. Looking back in my life, I am glad I didn't have a fast car when I was a teen.

My SC430 is slow enough to be safe now

17 years old street racing in a 1000 hp Supra

Last edited by BNR34; 04-26-11 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-26-11, 05:59 PM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

Wow... How did a 17 year old get a hold of a 1000HP Supra?
Old 04-26-11, 06:04 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Squirrelz
Wow... How did a 17 year old get a hold of a 1000HP Supra?
Stupid parents. That's Nick Bollea, son of Terry "Hulk Hogan" Bollea. Genius move letting the kid have it with no supervision knowing he had a penchant for speed and racing.

Big Mack
Old 04-26-11, 07:34 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by k2sty1
this is also when you can only drive vehicles that are under 200kw (270hp) and are NOT allowed to drive any car with 8 or more cylinders or any car with a Turbo (except diesels) or a Supercharger
so basically you can only drive a N/A 4cylinder or 6 cylinder with less than 200kw
This sounds like an awful law. I know a lot of kids I grew up with, when they got their licenses, they drove their parents' extra or second car or something like that to go to school (I was the same way) - and these days, I'd think most of those cars would break the 270hp or 8-cylinder rule. I would think laws like this might even wind up pushing parents to buy their kids cars just to abide by the law and these might be used cars - or if new, smaller or even compact cars which might be less safe in crashes than the larger cars with >270hp or 8 cylinders or more.
Old 04-26-11, 09:14 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No license restriction on the type of car thet you drive, however there are some age restriction on the type of license that you hold. Am speaking specifically on a Commercial Drivers License (CDL). You are not allowed to apply for nor operate a commercial vehicle (truck weighing over 26K lbs, bus, or any vehicle carrying more than 12 passengers [extended stretch limo]) undtil at least the age of 21. These types of vehicles require a specific license as well as the proper endorsements to show that you have been trained and are qualified to operate that class of vehicle. As far as everyday cars, no limitations on the TYPE however there are age restrictions for the license as well as hours limitations/rules dependant on age and experience level. At 38 years old, the rules have changed, so not sure what the current restrictions are now.
Old 04-26-11, 11:12 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

The only restriction on my license in Oklahoma was that I could only have one other passenger outside of family members in the car with me. It lasts for six months or whenever you turn eighteen.

I only got this restriction because my mom made me wait almost two years to get a driver's permit. The law came in affect right after I moved to Oklahoma.
Old 04-27-11, 04:48 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For BC.

you can get your Learner's permit with a written test you do at the driver's licensing office. Minimum 16 years old. You have to get over 80% to pass. This is Class 7L. Must have person with full license over 25 years old as passenger. Can only have one other passenger. Can't drive after midnight-6am. no alcohol in system. must display red L sign on back. Minimum of 12 months before progressing.

Next is the Novice license. Class 7N. Have to be minimum 17 years old. You do a 45 min driving test. Big green N sign in the back. No alcohol in system. Can drive any time. Only one passenger unless immediate family. If you have supervisor over 25 with full license, can have as many passengers as there are seats. Minimum of 2 years to get to final test.

Final test is a 60 minute road test. you get your full license. Class 5

In total. 3 years to get full license.

Quick Reply: license restrictions?