Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports Samples the Chevrolet Volt and Nissan Leaf.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-11, 03:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Consumer Reports Samples the Chevrolet Volt and Nissan Leaf.

Consumer Reports, a magazine that I have a lot of respect for, has not published the results of their formal Chevrolet Volt road test (that's coming in a future issue), but they did buy and sample a Volt (paying a $5000 dealer mark-up in the process....even CR sometimes can't escape price-gouging). They were impressed with a lot of its technology, but found the electric cabin-heater inadequate (the gas-engine heater kicks in when it gets really cold outside), and, especially in cold weather, they got inconsistant "fuel mileage" equivalents in terms of its fuel and electric-power use.

And, even without a formal road test, they had a lot to say about the new Volt.....almost two whole pages' worth. Here's the story.

They also provide a video of it on the web-site, but I couldn't copy and post it:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...view/index.htm

Consumer Reports Magazine: April 2011

Chevrolet Volt
GM's plug-in hybrid goes gas-free for short trips, but is pricey.

We can't think of any car that has been so long anticipated as the Chevrolet Volt. From the time it was introduced with fanfare as a concept vehicle in 2007, the Volt's electric-gas drivetrain has drawn wonder, skepticism, and praise from the public and media.

So we were eager to buy one of the first production cars, which are part of an initial rollout in five states and Washington, D.C. You might have to wait a while to get one, because the Volt will not be available nationwide until the end of the year.

The Volt is a four-seat, battery-powered hatchback that runs on electricity alone for short trips. Its electric range is claimed to be between 25 and 50 miles, which could be sufficient for many drivers to commute daily gas-free. After the lithium-ion battery is depleted, a gasoline engine kicks in and acts as a backup generator, powering the electric drive and extending the range to a total of about 300 miles.

It is built on the Chevrolet Cruze platform and comes nicely equipped. And with such elaborate engineering, you shouldn't expect it to come cheap; ours cost $43,700, including options (but with a $5,000 dealer markup, it set us back $48,700). Consumers will be eligible for a $7,500 electric-vehicle tax credit, which should lessen the sting. Some states offer additional incentives.

A full road test of our Volt is still in the works, but we've spent enough time with it to get some initial driving impressions:

Overall, the Volt is refined, yet it has some quirks, notably a weak electric heater. Otherwise, we enjoyed its quiet operation, brisk acceleration, and taut yet supple ride. But the big question is what can you expect in terms of fuel economy and range.

References to "miles per gallon" are not really meaningful without knowing a trip's length. That's because calculating a fuel-economy figure depends on the ratio of electric to gasoline use.

We've been getting the low end of the electric-only range, usually between 23 and 28 miles, undoubtedly due to this winter's deep freeze. The car's electric range is very susceptible to cold weather, primarily because the heater runs on electricity. We also found that an extended highway cruise shortens the electric range.

The Volt's appeal in terms of fuel economy depends largely on your driving pattern. The more often (and farther) you travel beyond the electric range, the closer your overall energy use drops toward 30 mpg. That's what we've been getting when the gasoline engine is running.

Counting just the energy used, not its cost, the Volt has been averaging close to 2 miles per kilowatt-hour, which, according to the Environmental Protection Agency, is the equivalent of 65 mpg. But that's for the first 25 miles or so, when the car is running on battery power alone.

It is typical to see artificially high mpg numbers on the car's trip computer. For example, let's say you make five trips in a week. Four of them are 25 miles without needing the gas engine. On the last trip, 55 miles, the car uses 1 gallon of gas beyond the 25-mile electric range. The trip computer would calculate 155 miles on 1 gallon of gas, or 155 mpg. That might contribute to the feel-good factor, but the figure is misleading because it doesn't count the electricity used.

GM says that recharge times are about 4 hours with a 240-volt supply and 10 to 12 hours with 120 volts. Our Volt has been taking in almost 13 kWh in about 5 hours every time we charge. We suggest that Volt buyers purchase a 220-volt (or Level 2) charger.

At the national average rate of 11 cents per kWh, the Volt would cost about 5.7 cents per mile in electric mode and then 10 cents a mile beyond that (assuming gas is $3 per gallon). By contrast, a Toyota Prius costs 6.8 cents per mile, and a gas-powered Honda Fit subcompact costs about 10 cents a mile in gas. But its price is less than half of what the Volt costs.

In some regions, such as the Northeast, you might pay a lot more for electricity. In Southern California, where rates increase with higher electrical consumption, there are special plans for EV owners that lower rates to as little as 11 cents per kWh.

There are evident compromises in passenger comfort as a result of the Volt's battery layout. Because the battery takes up the center rear-seat area, the car can hold only four people. Also, the rear seats are tight and the sloping roofline can make it easy to bump your head while getting in. Our engineers complained that the air from the heater was tepid, leaving them uncomfortably cold. The electric seat heaters help, but not enough. When the temperature dips below 26 degrees, the engine will turn on even during the electric portion of a trip to produce more heat.

The dashboard has a center screen that houses the standard navigation system, and slick graphics display various energy-use information. The center console consists of small, touch-sensitive buttons on the dash that control the climate and the radio. We found them hard to tell apart.

So far, the Volt works as an electric car with a gas backup, but it's not really much of a money saver in many places. Cheaper electricity or more expensive gas could tip the scales in its favor. For now, it seems that owning a Volt is an expensive way to be green. Watch for our full road test of the Volt in a future issue.

CR also sampled an all-electric Nissan Leaf, and provided a video:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...view/index.htm

Initial impressions: Nissan Leaf

Nissan lent us its Leaf electric car for a couple of weeks while we await delivery of the one we ordered. Overall, it's the most fully developed pure electric vehicle we've tried so far. In SL trim, like the one we borrowed, a Leaf costs $35,270 and is eligible for a $7,500 federal tax credit.

We think the Leaf is great for short trips. But its range is often not what its gauge might indicate. One staffer found that the range was rapidly reduced from 36 miles to barely 19 one frigid morning. Nissan claims the range on a full charge is about 100 miles, but during a long cold snap we averaged just 65 miles.

Using our 220-volt chargers, charging times have been 7 to 9 hours, and the Leaf has taken almost 22 kilowatts per charge. The car can also be charged on 110-volt current, but charging times can be close to 20 hours. We recommend getting the additional charging port, a $700 option, that allows the car to be charged in 27 minutes by a DC charger. Those chargers are expected to be installed in many public places.

We've averaged 3 miles per kilowatt hour, which is 3.7 cents a mile at the national average electric rate of 11 cents per kWh. Using the Environmental Protection Agency's conversion formula, that's the equivalent of 101 mpg. The EPA rates the Leaf at a 99 mpg equivalent (the Volt has a 93 mpg equivalent).

The Leaf comes well equipped and includes a standard navigation system, which shows the car's driving range in concentric circles. The smaller circle shows how far you can venture out for a round-trip; the outer one displays how far you can go one way. Nearby charging stations are also mapped, and the system provides information relating to battery draw and estimated charge times.

Other than the range limitation, there's a lot to like about the Leaf. It accelerates well and climbs hills effortlessly. Handling is quite responsive, though the steering feels a bit vague. The heater, unlike the Chevrolet Volt's, gives ample warmth. The Leaf seats five, getting in and out is very easy, and rear-seat room is generous despite the narrow cabin.

Our initial take is that the Leaf is a fun urban car that works best as a second or third vehicle in a temperate climate.

I myself, if possible, plan to look at and sample both a Volt and a Leaf later in the year, as they become more widely available (or are available for test-drives), but, for now, I have a couple of other reviews lined up on more-available products.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-25-11 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-25-11, 04:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

5.7c/mile Volt, 3.7c/mile Leaf.
Old 04-25-11, 04:15 PM
LexFather

Wait a minute. The Volt is a $45 grand Cruze based car? I had no idea its Cruze based. They paid a 5 grand markup for it. Wow.

35 grand for a Leaf? (yes both get $7500 and maybe additional credits)

Wow

Old 04-25-11, 04:51 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Until "green" manufacturers can approach the economics of your garden-variety Civic, they will never be widely accepted. Why pay the HUGE up-front cost for a car that is less comfortable, refined and trouble-free than a 4-door Civic ES? It would take YEARS to make up the fuel costs, range and performance limitations of an EV. For now, I'd stick with a more conventional ride.
Old 04-25-11, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Until "green" manufacturers can approach the economics of your garden-variety Civic, they will never be widely accepted. Why pay the HUGE up-front cost for a car that is less comfortable, refined and trouble-free than a 4-door Civic ES? It would take YEARS to make up the fuel costs, range and performance limitations of an EV. For now, I'd stick with a more conventional ride.
Welcome back, Lil. Haven't seen you post for a while.

Yes, CR has made that point before, a number of times (though not in this article) that the added price of hybrids (and even a dealer mark-up, in this case) will buy a LOT of gasoline for a more-conventional compact, even at $4 a gallon like it is today. Of course, hybrids, on the other hand, do give you some advantages that conventional cars don't, like HOV-priviledges and tax credits.

Hybrids also aren't necessarily any less-reliable than conventional compacts, either, despite their added complexity. Most Toyota and Honda hybrids have been well-above-average in reliability, according to (who else?)....Consumer Reports. The Ford Escape Hybrid has also been above-average in reliability, though not to the same level as Toyota or Honda.

As for the Volt's potential reliability, it, of course, is unknown. Hybrids, though, by Federal law, have 8-10 year warranties on the hybrid-related components, so that will take some of the potential fear out a purchase. The rest of the car, of course (the non-hybrid parts) is based on the brand-new Chevy Cruze, which ITSELF has unknown long-term reliability at this point. And, just recently, there was a story of a Cruze's steering wheel falling off.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-25-11 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-25-11, 06:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wait a minute. The Volt is a $45 grand Cruze based car?
Starts at 41K.....45K with options is probably about par for the course......minus the tax credits, of course, and whatever you get back in tax-refunds. The $7500, as I understand it, is just a deduction off of your taxable income, like any other deduction, not a tax-refund back from Uncle Sam for a flat $7500.

I had no idea its Cruze based.
Yes, the Cruze was probably the best GM platform for it, if they wanted to do a Prius and Civic Hybrid-competitor. The Aveo's is too small and is being discontinued, and the Malibu's is too large. Buick also has a rebadged version planned......CAR CHAT had a thread on that a little while ago.

They paid a 5 grand markup for it. Wow.
Yes......even CR is not immune from price-gouging. CR spends a lot of time, of course, in the auto-buying issues, giving advice on how best to do auto-deals (I'm sure you've read those articles yourself, a number of times). But, with some vehicles, getting a discount (or even list price) is all but impossible, even for CR's experienced bargainers.

35 grand for a Leaf? (yes both get $7500 and maybe additional credits)

Wow
Both, because they are considered alternate-fuel vehicles, also get HOV priviledges in areas that allow it. That helps a lot in bumper-to-bumper rush-hour freeway traffic.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-25-11 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-25-11, 06:40 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, they should have made it a Cadillac and upped the interior quality and sold it for a couple grand more. Its just not going to do too well as a $45k Chevy with the not-that-good interior and design.

And I just drove past a Chevy dealer, they have a Volt on display up front. I've also seen other Volts sitting on lots for several weeks. The nissan dealers around here on the other hand can't even keep their Leaf's on display long enough before they sell, same goes for the Lexus CT.
Old 04-25-11, 06:49 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
-1- Starts at 41K.....45K with options is probably about par for the course......minus the tax credits, of course, and whatever you get back in tax-refunds. The $7500, as I understand it, is just a deduction off of your taxable income, like any other deduction, not a tax-refund back from Uncle Sam for a flat $7500.

-2- Yes......even CR is not immune from price-gouging. CR spends a lot of time, of course, in the auto-buying issues, giving advice on how best to do auto-deals (I'm sure you've read those articles yourself, a number of times). But, with some vehicles, getting a discount (or even list price) is all but impossible, even for CR's experienced bargainers.
-1- it is a tax CREDIT -- NOT a deduction -- meaning if your tax refund check is normally $100, if you buy either car your refund would be $7600.

-2- CR buys a car like a normal consumer, not a special sample car - the dealer doesn't even know they are selling to CR.
Old 04-25-11, 07:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kostamojen
And I just drove past a Chevy dealer, they have a Volt on display up front. I've also seen other Volts sitting on lots for several weeks. The nissan dealers around here on the other hand can't even keep their Leaf's on display long enough before they sell, same goes for the Lexus CT.
I see you're in CA. It's not surprising that CA would get the first ones, as they are usually (but not always) the first state to get new vehicles. There are some in the D.C. area, too, as this is also, like CA, a huge new-car market. Most of them, though, are spoken-for....so I'm not going to try and review one for a little while yet.

If you get a chance to test-drive one in the meantime, give us an update. I will drive one myself, if possible, a little later in the year.
Old 04-25-11, 07:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
-1- it is a tax CREDIT -- NOT a deduction -- meaning if your tax refund check is normally $100, if you buy either car your refund would be $7600.
I hope you're right. That would be a better deal for the alternate-fuel car-buyer, though, of course, it sure wouldn't help the country's defecit. The way I understood a tax credit, though, was that it was like a regular deduction, and just came off your taxable income. If Uncle Sam really IS mailing out full-$7500 checks-plus the regular refund, then, yes, that will take a big part of the sting out of the Volt's high purchase-price.

In this case, if you're right, I don't mind being wrong.

-2- CR buys a car like a normal consumer, not a special sample car - the dealer doesn't even know they are selling to CR.
Yes, that's true......but CR staffers know how to price-negotiate. That's why they can give out the advice in the magazine that they do.
Old 04-25-11, 07:14 PM
LexFather

Honestly, they should have made it a Cadillac and upped the interior quality and sold it for a couple grand more. Its just not going to do too well as a $45k Chevy with the not-that-good interior and design.

Agreed.....

Old 04-25-11, 07:43 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
You are correct that Electric Vehicles (and Hybrid Electric Vehicles) will not be widely accepted until they come down to a price that is more comparable to the garden-variety Civic or Corolla, but that does not mean that automakers should not start selling them to the public now.

Every new technology, regardless of price (within reason, I guess), will have buyers, those so-called First Adopters. This group of users is important: they are willing to take risks and try to use something that is completely unproven, and by doing so, they will help the manufacturer to improve the product. There is only so much testing that you can do in the lab and eventually, new technology has to be made available for "real world" testing. Some manufacturers will take a more cautious, conservative approach and only offer their new product on a very limited basis -- Toyota with its Prius Plug-in Hybrid and Honda with its FCX Clarity hydrogen fuel cell car are examples -- while others take a potentially riskier approach, which is what GM has chosen to do with the Volt.

If you are worried about high up-front cost, potentially trouble-prone cars, wait for the next generation. That is what Toyota did with the Prius. Now in its 3rd generation, it has almost become a "mainstream" car. The Volt is merely following in the Prius' footsteps; if it lives into its 2nd generation, it will be more widely accepted, its glitches and idiosyncrasies (almost) erased and will be more widely adopted.
Old 04-25-11, 08:03 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Agreed.....
Up the interior quality, put more creases in the bodywork, badge it as a Cadillac and sell it for a few grand more -- they would likely sell more by attracting the "right" kind of buyers (willing to pay the price for the new technology) AND make money on each vehicle. Offer the Chevy model only when the (cheaper) 2nd-gen model comes out.
Old 04-26-11, 06:19 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I hope you're right. That would be a better deal for the alternate-fuel car-buyer, though, of course, it sure wouldn't help the country's defecit. The way I understood a tax credit, though, was that it was like a regular deduction, and just came off your taxable income. If Uncle Sam really IS mailing out full-$7500 checks-plus the regular refund, then, yes, that will take a big part of the sting out .
Ding !! Ding!!! Ding!!! You are taxed on it as income... so it's not $7500, depends on your tax backet but guesstimate true value is about $5K... so again the cost of the technology outweighs the gains... as of this moment in time, the only advantage is "going green"...
Old 04-26-11, 06:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

For now, it seems that owning a Volt is an expensive way to be green.
that says it all.

if you've got the dough to make that statement and use a quirky limited vehicle, more power to you.

as sulu says, hopefully it gets better, but it's got a long way to go.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Samples the Chevrolet Volt and Nissan Leaf.