Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Forbes Worst Cars on the Road list

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-11, 04:23 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Forbes Worst Cars on the Road list

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/the-wors...-20110418.html

The Worst Cars On The Road
When it comes to quality, efficiency, reliability, safety and overall value, these vehicles bring up the rear.
ForbesBy Hannah Elliott | Forbes – Mon, Apr 18, 2011 4:48 PM EDT

retweet

* 2011 Cadillac Escalade

2011 Cadillac Escalade

By all accounts, Detroit's Big Three automakers have begun producing better-made, longer lasting, more efficient vehicles. It's a distinct change from the 1990s and early 2000s, when they fell behind their European and Asian counterparts in each category.

"This change is not even a gradual thing," says Christine Overstreet, an automotive consultant and director of Heels and Wheels. "It's like they've said, 'OK, we really want to step it up, we really want to compete, we're ready.' After past years of being so bad, they've really stepped up their game."

But with three exceptions--the Mercedes-Benz S550, Smart Fortwo and Nissan Titan--all of the cars on this year's list of the Worst Cars on the Road are (still) made by domestic companies. That includes the Dodge Dakota, Chevy Tahoe Hybrid and Chrysler Town & Country. The only American car company with zero vehicles on the list? Ford.

Behind the Numbers
To determine our list of the worst-made cars on the road, we started with the lowest-rated vehicles from six reliability and performance studies conducted this year by Consumer Reports.

Any car, truck or SUV named among the worst in at least two of those studies made the final cut to be on the "Worst" list.

We should note that the Mercedes S550 is the only vehicle that qualified for our list because of a high cost of ownership, low fuel efficiency and a low rating for overall value, not because of any problems with reliability, safety or performance, which affected every other vehicle in the top 10. Indeed, luxury vehicles like that sedan and the Cadillac Escalade are arguably at a disadvantage on lists like this--their luxurious interior upgrades, high-quality trim and powerful engines work against them.

"The worst value, the highest cost of ownership--you've got to remember there is a numerator and a denominator in these things," says Terry Woychowski, the vice president for quality and global launches for General Motors. "To use an analogy of a watch: If you looked at dollars to buy a watch vs. accuracy of time, you'd probably buy a Casio. [Compare that] to the price and value in a Rolex--you'd say, 'Well, shoot. It costs so much!' For vehicles like this, it's an uphill battle."

We should also note that nearly every car or truck made today is safer, more efficient and more reliable than anything on the road even as recently as 15 years ago. But that doesn't excuse just how often vehicles like the Jeep Liberty are panned for poor reliability or poor fuel economy--or both.

Jeep's Liberty and Wrangler earned spots on Consumer Reports' Least Reliable list for 2011. The Wrangler also received Consumer Reports' Worst Value and Worst Cars distinctions, the latter of which is based on more than 50 individual Consumer Reports tests and evaluations. The Wrangler also appeared on our Worst Cars list last year.

Doug Betts, Chrysler's senior vice president of quality, says the Consumer Reports tests don't reflect the latest, most up-to-date vehicles the company is currently manufacturing. The cars and trucks Chrysler has coming off the line now are far better than cars made even last year, he said in a statement about the reports.

"Customers will see 16 all-new or significantly updated vehicles at Ram, Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep and Fiat dealers this year," Betts said. "These vehicles represent a new level of interior refinement, world-class fit and finish and significantly enhanced driving dynamics."

Similarly, and despite significant improvements since hitting bottom in 2009, GM has some work to do before it can regain a good reputation fleet-wide. Four GM-made vehicles--the Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Tahoe Hybrid, Chevrolet Colorado, and Chevrolet Aveo/Aveo5--are ranked as among the worst on the market today. All but the Tahoe Hybrid qualified for the Worst Cars list last year as well.

No big surprises, pretty much all American and a few European cars except for the Nissan Titan.
Old 04-24-11, 04:34 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

The Escalade and S550, though not surprising, are still sought after heavily. Reliability is a huge issue with them, but they're more status rides than anything. For those who view cars as a measure of wealth, these cars are of high value. They cost a lot and are require a lot of maintenance. Gas economy is quite poor for these vehicles, but they do fit the needs for some. And some people just swear by their cars, especially the Jeep group from what I've seen.
Old 04-24-11, 04:47 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Not surprise for the Caddy.......they are not reliable & mos of them drove like nuts int hat huge SUV........the s550 in the other hand seems fine.......maybe its just the dealer service cost....
Old 04-24-11, 05:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

No surprise on either. God I am glad I went with an LS460 instead of an S class
Old 04-24-11, 05:25 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Wrangler doesn't belong on there.
Old 04-24-11, 05:42 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
No surprise on either. God I am glad I went with an LS460 instead of an S class
We should note that the Mercedes S550 is the only vehicle that qualified for our list because of a high cost of ownership, low fuel efficiency and a low rating for overall value, not because of any problems with reliability, safety or performance, which affected every other vehicle in the top 10.

I wonder why they singled out the S550. Every car in this class has relatively high ownership costs in regards to fuel costs, maintenance (costs of spare parts for example) and such. The S550 is no exception in that regard.
Old 04-24-11, 05:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
We should note that the Mercedes S550 is the only vehicle that qualified for our list because of a high cost of ownership, low fuel efficiency and a low rating for overall value, not because of any problems with reliability, safety or performance, which affected every other vehicle in the top 10.

I wonder why they singled out the S550. Every car in this class has relatively high ownership costs in regards to fuel costs, maintenance (costs of spare parts for example) and such. The S550 is no exception in that regard.
if i had to guess, i would say S550 probably had the highest costs in the class, or at least worst overall combination in the class.
Old 04-24-11, 06:03 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ relatively high depreciation costs as well compared to the LS
Old 04-24-11, 06:08 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
if i had to guess, i would say S550 probably had the highest costs in the class, or at least worst overall combination in the class.
True. The base price of the car is probably the decisive factor here.
Old 04-24-11, 06:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
Thats why publications like this aren't worth the paper they are printed on.
Old 04-24-11, 06:35 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Kind of silly to call these "the worst cars on the road" ib the basis of cost and fuel economy. Reliability issues, OK, but for something like the S-Class to be called one of the worst cars, lol, because it's expensive and powerful? Uhm, it's supposed to be.

I'm not a fan of the S-Class, but the fact is it is considered among one of the standards of the world. And considering included it here admitting that it doesn't have quality issues is especially odd.

C'mon Mercedes, why don't you make the S-class for only $50K and get 35 MPG? Maybe then, you won't be a "worst car"?

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 04-25-11 at 04:32 AM.
Old 04-24-11, 06:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

uh, the op doesn't even include the list, although i know it's hard to cut and paste from that article. this is some of them... i still don't understand the criteria.

The Worst Cars On The Road

Cadillac Escalade

Cadillac Escalade

Listed Among:

Consumer Reports Worst Value
Consumer Reports Highest Costs of Ownership
Consumer Reports Worst Safety Performance

Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid

Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid

Listed Among:

Consumer Reports Worst Safety Performance
Consumer Reports Least Reliable

Dodge Nitro SLT

Dodge Nitro SLT

Listed Among:

Consumer Reports Worst Cars
Consumer Reports Worst Fuel Economy

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Listed Among:

Consumer Reports Worst Cars

Mercedes-Benz S550

Mercedes-Benz S550

Listed Among:

Consumer Reports Highest Costs of Ownership
Consumer Reports Worst Fuel Economy

Old 04-24-11, 09:20 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really doubt if anybody here learned anything from this.
Old 04-24-11, 10:06 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Thats why I laugh at car "advice" from sources that don't deal with anything automotive. The S class being the worst really? Since when does a magazine that promotes opulence call it a bad thing when it comes to car's. If anything the S Class is the best car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs1xEA7Rvkc
Old 04-25-11, 06:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

they rate the s class bad because of cost of ownership apparently, which is stupid.

Quick Reply: Forbes Worst Cars on the Road list