Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Forbes Worst Cars on the Road list

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-11, 07:17 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why is that stupid? There are plenty of expensive cars in that segment and none of the others made this list. If the A8, 7 Series, LS and XJ have lower costs of ownership, better resale, and better gas mileage, then it is what it is.

Does it really make the S Class one of the worst cars on the road? No. Did it make this list? Yes and Forbes even gives somewhat of a disclaimer in the article and admits that this is more or less, "strictly by the numbers" and they're CR's numbers at that.

Take it for what it is, but there seems to be a mentality in this thread that the S Class was being picked on, which I am not seeing...
Old 04-25-11, 07:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
We should note that the Mercedes S550 is the only vehicle that qualified for our list because of a high cost of ownership, low fuel efficiency and a low rating for overall value, not because of any problems with reliability, safety or performance, which affected every other vehicle in the top 10.

I wonder why they singled out the S550. Every car in this class has relatively high ownership costs in regards to fuel costs, maintenance (costs of spare parts for example) and such. The S550 is no exception in that regard.
Originally Posted by Och
Thats why publications like this aren't worth the paper they are printed on.
Originally Posted by IS-SV
I really doubt if anybody here learned anything from this.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
they rate the s class bad because of cost of ownership apparently, which is stupid.

Luxury is not supposed to make financial sense. Luxury is not about value. The Accord is definitely going to have more bang for the buck than a BMW, MB, Audi, etc.It's up to the buyer to decide whether the luxury is worth the premium.

Last edited by Joeb427; 04-25-11 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-25-11, 09:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
The Escalade and S550, though not surprising, are still sought after heavily. Reliability is a huge issue with them, but they're more status rides than anything. For those who view cars as a measure of wealth, these cars are of high value. They cost a lot and are require a lot of maintenance. Gas economy is quite poor for these vehicles, but they do fit the needs for some.
For those of you who watch the "Bait-Car" series on cable TV, where cops leave specially-equipped vehicles out on street-corners just waiting for car thieves to take them, the Escalade is one of the most commonly used vehicles. It attracts thieves and joy-riders, particularly younger ones, like a magnet.

The S550, granted, is expensive and has questionable reliability, but it has something that very few cars still have today (a really-comfortable, soft, cloud-like ride), and even fewer have......a nice ride combined with good handling. Consumer Reports rates the S550 as arguably the best-riding car they have ever tested. Most cars, even traditionally big, luxury-oriented ones, have become more handling-oriented today, so that ride comfort has been shunted to the back-burner. Very few can, and do, give you both at once.....but the S550 is one of them.
Old 04-25-11, 09:42 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

could anyone explain the nissan titan? i see a lot of those on the road
Old 04-25-11, 09:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jadu
could anyone explain the nissan titan? i see a lot of those on the road
It has a history of quality-control problems (a number of them inherent in the Canton, MS plant where it is built) and a rather cheapish interior with a second-rate look, even by pickup-truck standards.

Many of the Titan's QC problems also affected the other two vehicles built at the Canton plant (and they are built on the Titan's platform)......the Nissan Armada and the 1Gen Infiniti QX56.

Fortunately, there seems to have been somewhat of an improvement in the plant's QC in the last couple of years......but it still is not a highly-rated plant.
Old 04-25-11, 09:55 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
For those of you who watch the "Bait-Car" series on cable TV, where cops leave specially-equipped vehicles out on street-corners just waiting for car thieves to take them, the Escalade is one of the most commonly used vehicles. It attracts thieves and joy-riders, particularly younger ones, like a magnet.

That would only have any significance if there was a comparison on that show of cars (well lure's actually) they put on the street that go untouched. Show is called 'bait car' so its presumable that ANY car they air on the show is going to be stolen.

People should stop taking the word Worst so literal. Just throw quotes around "worst" and the list makes sense for 550. "Worst" Fuel Economy in its class + "Worst" value = "Worst" list.

550 owners or fanboys should shrug their shoulders and continue to pass the Grey Poupon.
Old 04-25-11, 10:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
That would only have any significance if there was a comparison on that show of cars (well lure's actually) they put on the street that go untouched. Show is called 'bait car' so its presumable that ANY car they air on the show is going to be stolen.
That's true to some extent (I watch the Bait-Car show regularly). But special cameras, hidden in the dash, record the words, conversations, and reactions of the thieves in the front seat. When they take off with one of the show's Escalades, they often react like a little kid with a new toy at Christmas-time. You don't see that as much with the show's Bait-car Camrys and Accords.

550 owners or fanboys should shrug their shoulders and continue to pass the Grey Poupon.
And the 550 is so smooth-riding that they can probably set an open jar of Poupon in their laps without it spilling.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-25-11 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-25-11, 10:10 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's true to some extent (I watch the Bait-Car show regularly). But special cameras, hidden in the dash, record the words, conversations, and reactions of the thieves in the front seat. When they take off with one of the show's Escalades, they often react like a little kid with a new toy at Christmas-time.
You don't see that as much with the show's Bait-car Camrys and Accords.
Well of course. It's not like they are targeting 'thieves' in the neighborhoods where they or their parents drive these cars. They target the 'hood', stage some ridiculous fight where the 'owner' leaves the car either running or lights on so you can see the keys and walks away. Little simple minded Pookie then comes along and gets in car and drives away. (Watch one episode and you've seen the last three seasons)

Again, has no real significance on how much theives like the car since it's a crime of opportunity versus the Escalade (or whatever car they are using) to be the actual target or 'real' thieves.

On a side note, wonder when they will film an episode in suburbia and see how the 'civilized' folk react to this same situation.

And the 550 is so smooth-riding that they can probably set an open jar of Poupon in their laps without it spilling.
lol agreed. Crap, now I want a hot dog with mustard.
Old 04-25-11, 10:39 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

It has a history of quality-control problems (a number of them inherent in the Canton, MS plant where it is built) and a rather cheapish interior with a second-rate look, even by pickup-truck standards.

Many of the Titan's QC problems also affected the other two vehicles built at the Canton plant (and they are built on the Titan's platform)......the Nissan Armada and the 1Gen Infiniti QX56.

Fortunately, there seems to have been somewhat of an improvement in the plant's QC in the last couple of years......but it still is not a highly-rated plant.

thanks, did not know..
Old 04-25-11, 03:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
On a side note, wonder when they will film an episode in suburbia and see how the 'civilized' folk react to this same situation.
L.A. suburbs are sometimes targeted. I know I've seen at least three or four filmings done in Compton (an L.A. suburb). That town, apparantly, has a high gang and car-thievery problem.

Police generally do the set-ups and filming in areas that car-theft is the biggest problem....the idea is to get the thieves (and especially the repeat-offenders) locked up so that they can't steal any more cars.....and stolen cars, of course, are often used to commit other crimes with.
Old 04-25-11, 03:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Anyhow, back to the Forbes List................
Old 04-25-11, 07:55 PM
LexFather

Okay the S550 was a poor choice if its for reasons of value and not reliability as they state..who the hell buys an S-class for value?

Sorry, I'll take the S 550 since its one of the worst cars around.

Forbes FAIL

Old 04-25-11, 08:11 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I can definitely see the Escalade being on that list. My mom has an 06 and I hate that car. I've never been in a car that had such poor ride quality and gas mileage. I will say that it's been pretty reliable though. It's only needed oil changes and tires over the past three years she's had it.

I'm surprised the S550 is on the list. Doesn't it have a V12? I wouldn't expect it to get good fuel economy, have cheap repairs, or good reliability to be honest. It's a pretty high end car.
Old 04-25-11, 08:30 PM
LexFather

Hey Kira, S550 is the base model here, V-8....we don't get the V-6 and I-4 S-classes they get in Europe and China....

Old 04-25-11, 08:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Okay the S550 was a poor choice if its for reasons of value and not reliability as they state..who the hell buys an S-class for value?

Sorry, I'll take the S 550 since its one of the worst cars around.

Forbes FAIL
Yep.....I know that you, like me, appreciate a comfortable car. The S550, though with questionable reliability, coddles you like nothing else out there this side of a Rolls/Bentley/Maybach, save maybe for the LS460.

S550 is the base model here, V-8....we don't get the V-6 and I-4 S-classes they get in Europe and China.
I've heard of V6 S-Class models, but not 4-bangers.

We also get the S600 V12 here, but it is so expensive that it doesn't sell in high numbers.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-25-11 at 08:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Forbes Worst Cars on the Road list