Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick Spin: 2011 BMW X1 xDrive28i

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-11, 05:43 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I never understood these tiny "sport utes." They aren't particularly sporty, nor are they useful.

I like station wagons fine. Mini 'utes are sort of like small wagons, without the good handling or fuel economy.
Old 04-24-11, 05:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I never understood these tiny "sport utes." They aren't particularly sporty, nor are they useful.

I like station wagons fine. Mini 'utes are sort of like small wagons, without the good handling or fuel economy.
better handling and economy compared to big utes?
Old 04-24-11, 06:07 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They weigh less than their bigger siblings which has got to improve handling (and thus the 'sport factor').

Also, they're quite useful. Just because a car is "smaller" doesn't mean it's not as practical as a larger car. Most Americans have no experience with the BMW 1 series 5-door hatch for example, which I own. The 1er is not as small as you'd think. It's knocking on the door of the current 3er in size and offers tremendous luggage space on the inside (rear space for passengers would be "ok" if the leg space wasn't non-existent). My wife uses our 1er for her photographic job. Her typical equipment compliment will include a small diesel generator (almost 1 x 1 meter in size) for her lights, an assortment of Elinchrom lights and their tripods, softboxes etc. and of course her camera and camera equipment plus a number of other components. All of these easily fit into the car without problems when the rear seats are folded down to create more space.

The average American would already have bought a Ford Excursion for the same task.
Old 04-24-11, 06:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

more and more americans (especially fat ones!) appreciate the higher seating positions in cuvs/suvs. kinda like comfort height toilets.
Old 04-25-11, 10:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

If BMW is smart, they will make the I-Drive optional on the American-market version rather than standard. Many people like the classic BMW ride/handling/steering combo and chassis engineering (and I'm one of them), but don't want to take their eyes and attention off the road while fumbling around with an I-Drive or Audi MMI-type controller.
Old 04-25-11, 10:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
more and more americans (especially fat ones!) appreciate the higher seating positions in cuvs/suvs. kinda like comfort height toilets.
That's part of it, but equally-important issues are cargo-versatility, all-weather traction, easier cleaning underneath with a hose with the added ground-clearance, and more clearance over curb-obstacles and road-debris. These are also among the reasons I drive an Outback.
Old 04-25-11, 11:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If BMW is smart, they will make the I-Drive optional on the American-market version rather than standard. Many people like the classic BMW ride/handling/steering combo and chassis engineering (and I'm one of them), but don't want to take their eyes and attention off the road while fumbling around with an I-Drive or Audi MMI-type controller.
they added 30 buttons these days so you have plenty of "shortcuts"... besides, people are obviously not complaining too much or the cars would not sell as good as they sell
Old 04-25-11, 12:17 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Good point about high seating position, don't have to be fat to appreciate it.

A CUV/SUV with a high seating position is an ideal commuting vehicle for the heavy traffic that most Americans experience daily. The comfort, visibility and safety in typical urban commute environments is very good.
Old 05-12-11, 03:42 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DustinV
They weigh less than their bigger siblings which has got to improve handling (and thus the 'sport factor').

Also, they're quite useful. Just because a car is "smaller" doesn't mean it's not as practical as a larger car. Most Americans have no experience with the BMW 1 series 5-door hatch for example, which I own. The 1er is not as small as you'd think. It's knocking on the door of the current 3er in size and offers tremendous luggage space on the inside (rear space for passengers would be "ok" if the leg space wasn't non-existent). My wife uses our 1er for her photographic job. Her typical equipment compliment will include a small diesel generator (almost 1 x 1 meter in size) for her lights, an assortment of Elinchrom lights and their tripods, softboxes etc. and of course her camera and camera equipment plus a number of other components. All of these easily fit into the car without problems when the rear seats are folded down to create more space.

The average American would already have bought a Ford Excursion for the same task.
Hey, you're preaching to the choir - other than the better "view" out the windshield, I just don't understand buying a CUV over a similar sized wagon. I guess I just like cars better; they are more fun. With vehicles getting taller and taller, I don't see the better 'view' as justification for getting a CUV - if you're behind a lifted truck, big SUV, or a UPS truck.

As an everyday car, I drive a Honda Odyssey - perhaps the ultimate in "useful" vehicles.
Try packing 12 boxed 22" wheels into a mini-ute
Old 05-12-11, 04:13 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, you're preaching to the choir - other than the better "view" out the windshield, I just don't understand buying a CUV over a similar sized wagon. I guess I just like cars better; they are more fun. With vehicles getting taller and taller, I don't see the better 'view' as justification for getting a CUV - if you're behind a lifted truck, big SUV, or a UPS truck.
The "view" is important to commuters, since the vast majority of other vehicles during the commute are not lifted trucks, big SUVs, or UPS trucks. I use a mid-sized SUV in heavy traffic frequently and enjoy the "view" aspect. Also the chair height seating is more comfortable and easier to enter/exit. Owning 2 sports sedans and a SUV I am frequently able to compare the driving experience in traffic.
Old 05-12-11, 10:27 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Have you been to L.A. lately? Nothing but Range Rovers, Tahoes, pickups, and the one guy who still has a Hummer .

I can also compare and contrast, with a GS, MR2, and NSX in the fleet.