Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CT 200 Supercharged Hybrid widebody pics, 300hp!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-11, 01:50 PM
DFGeneer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
What does that mean exactly...?
In the Atkinson engine, the intake valves close at later moment during (instead of at the beginning of) the compression stroke. Thus, part of the air/fuel mixture exits the chamber back into the intake before that moment to be fed later into another cylinder.
The physical ratio of the engine is 13:1 but since the compression actually begins about half way during the compression stroke, the effective compression ratio is 8:1.
With compression ratio that low, the engine is very easy and smooth to start. And that saves power from the electric motor/battery of the Hybrid Sinergy Drive.
In the other hand, the high expansion ratio makes the engine very efficient in extracting heat from the combustion and converting it into torque.
Old 05-17-11, 12:40 PM
FoxCars
Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
He's referring to the way the Atkinson cycle motor in the CT and new Prius work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkinson_cycle
http://pressroom.toyota.com/article_...rticle_id=2082

I guess my question is, even assuming a constant 8:1 compression ratio (and I'm first to admit I don't know enough about the mechanics of how this motor works to say that for sure since Lexus itself cites the compression as 13:1), Fox's getting over 220% of the OEM HP rating out of a supercharger (even with battery enhancements and other goodies) sounds like quite a feat. Especially given the limited build time for this vehicle for SEMA & the CT model's release.

Just think if you're going to make a HP claim and statements like the below

you need to have the facts ready to share to back up the claim Fox, not at all taking away from this cool build, or your other Lexus builds. Just think if it's going to be advertised in print & shows as 'X' hp, there should be some details shared to keep it both credible and interesting for the enthusiast community. Maybe they've been posted somewhere and I missed them as I didn't follow the build of this particular car that closely in the forums or elsewhere.

I'm generally OK with estimated or potential HP claims for show car builds, but the 224% HP increase in this one has always struck me as marketing.
I couldn't agree with you more about your case here. The truth of that matter is that after crunching the numbers the horsepower had to be an estimate (which I'm pretty much dead on about with all the car I have built, and not just Lexus if you haven't see my site) because the supercharger went on the day before it left to NY. I started to drive it hard and coolant started poring out of the bottom of the engine. I brought back to the shop quickly and we tried a couple things that didn't work. When you build a car in this time crunch sometimes you can't problem solve everything right away. Lexus stopped by an hour after it happened and picked the car up. I could say, "Hold up and let me fix this now". That isn't an option here.

Since the car has gotten back, we found it was a simple fix after putting up on the lift with 3hrs of labor behind it. The car now sits at R Miller Auto Body fixing the paint that I wasn't happy with (small stuff). I was going to have a Carlisle last weekend but really didn't want to drive it in the a down pore of rain. I was going to start really driving that car and put around 250 miles on it but here in Central PA it has rained every day since Saturday and will continue to do that till this weekend! That stinks but I can't control God. I build street cars, not show cars so I must drive it as it was designed to do. You build a car to drive and enjoy, for me anyway.

On the motor side, I am waiting on my injectors to get made and the Nitrous kit (here now) with pistons. That is going to give me the tools to get to my horsepower number that is "claimed". I'm confident I can get there with no problem. This isn't my first rodeo.

Now, when you build a car and NO ONE makes anything for it that is super hard to do. I had to hop on the phone and convince manufactures to make products for the vehicle. It is a lot of work so then one day others can do things to their CT's in the future. My job is to help push the car into the aftermarket and get manufactures to make the parts for enthusiasts. This has always been my role and I love doing it. I listen to what other enthusiast say and they try and make that happen. I can't control whether or not a said company comes out with it after the fact. The market controls that as everything costs money right? But back to the point at hand. Just like my IS F, and IS C build video and dyno sheets will be provided no question about it. I must put some miles on the blower and work out any more bugs before I put this engine set up. What I do not want to do is blow it up!!! Now that my friends, would suck.
Old 05-17-11, 12:44 PM
FoxCars
Driver

Originally Posted by bad co
Offer this kit(supercharger and the other bits)to the public for around 5k and I am new CT owner. I love this concept. I'm pretty sure if your not on the throttle the whole time you'll get respectable mpg's.
I'm not the manufacture and it cost me around 9k out of my pocket for this installed. But, it is more expensive when your the first to do it. I think they will be around 6k which isn't a bad price. You have around 4-5k in just parts alone to make the kit. The blower, piping, intake manifold isn't cheap at all.
Old 05-11-12, 08:29 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

So any more news or update to this?
Old 05-11-12, 08:32 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

shoulda turbo'd it...superchargers kill mileage.