Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best Bang For The Buck: Hyundai On Top?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-11, 08:21 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have sat in Hyundai vehicles and in my opinion it does not impart the feel that you get when you sit in a Mazda3 for example. For a car that I will be driving for the next few years, I cannot compromise on that aspect.
Old 04-16-11, 08:44 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

hyundai prices are slowly creeping up. look how close the prices have become.

if i were buying something in this class, i would not load it up with leather and other crap.
just gimme basic safety electronics, power windows, that's it.
Old 04-16-11, 10:22 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
hyundai prices are slowly creeping up. look how close the prices have become.

if i were buying something in this class, i would not load it up with leather and other crap.
just gimme basic safety electronics, power windows, that's it.
Exactly. Buying a compact with heated leather, navigation, ect. seems a bit silly too me unless you just don't like bigger cars. Some just prefer small cars but can afford more and will load them up. This is common in Europe of course where they normally pay $30K for a compact. This is more do to the fact that they have outrageous gas prices and tighter spaces though.

I also prefer small cars but would not pay more than $18K for one. I just prefer to have economical transportation.
Old 04-16-11, 11:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Incredible
^Marshall, you've done your homework just as much. I see many threads here posted by you about reviewing cars, so I know you got experience in the car market.

Put yourself in my shoes for a second. You want to either lease a new car, or buy a used one, but you want your payments to not exceed $350 (that's including tax, license and all the other fees). You're wanting to do this within within 12-18 months, and you still don't have money saved up for a down payment, yet! What would you do?
First, do you regularly use your personal car for buisness reasons......say, for company-mandated travel or something similiar? If so, leasing may be a viable option.....as long as you don't exceed the mileage limits (typically between 10-15K miles a year) or the wear-and-tear clauses (scratches/dents/broken glass,worn-tires, etc....) in the lease-contract. You can deduct lease-payments off your taxes if you use your own car for buisness. Leasing gets you into a brand-new car every 2-4 years, so you're not driving something old and worn. It also eliminates the hassle of trading or selling your old car. Of course, with leasing, you always have a monthly payment....you're never out of debt, and early-lease-terminations can sometimes be costly.

You seem interested in a new Elantra. IMO, you probably won't go wrong with one....it's a relatively safe purchase, vehicle-wise. The 2011 model, of course, is all-new and untested, but previous models have had generally good reliability. I don't personally care for the interior/exterior styling of the new model, but that is a personal, subjective issue, and you might find the styling more to your tastes. Hyundai offers, on its web-site, a handy pocket-calculator where you can enter the data to suit your needs....loan length, interest rate, down payment, car selling-price, etc..... and come up with how much it will run each month on an actual purchase. They also have a site that describes leasing....vs...buying, though

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/financial-...alculator.aspx

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/financial-...ng-buying.aspx

https://www.hyundaimotorfinance.com/

You want to either lease a new car, or buy a used one, but you want your payments to not exceed $350 (that's including tax, license and all the other fees). You're wanting to do this within within 12-18 months, and you still don't have money saved up for a down payment, yet!
I understand the no-down-payment and $350-per-month limit, but what do you mean by "do this" within 12-18 months? Do you mean you want to wait another 12-18 months before buying or leasing a car, or does that mean that you want to have the $350-a-month actually paid off within 12-18 months? If the latter, I would suggest a one-year lease, if they will give you one at the dealership. On a one-year (if they will give to you) it would be easier to get $350 on an Accent than an Elantra, but not necessarily out of the question for an Elantra. If you can't get those conditions met, and can't adjust your payment-scenario, then you may be out of the market for a new car, period.
Old 04-16-11, 08:34 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
First, do you regularly use your personal car for buisness reasons......say, for company-mandated travel or something similiar? If so, leasing may be a viable option.....as long as you don't exceed the mileage limits (typically between 10-15K miles a year) or the wear-and-tear clauses (scratches/dents/broken glass,worn-tires, etc....) in the lease-contract. You can deduct lease-payments off your taxes if you use your own car for buisness. Leasing gets you into a brand-new car every 2-4 years, so you're not driving something old and worn. It also eliminates the hassle of trading or selling your old car. Of course, with leasing, you always have a monthly payment....you're never out of debt, and early-lease-terminations can sometimes be costly.

You seem interested in a new Elantra. IMO, you probably won't go wrong with one....it's a relatively safe purchase, vehicle-wise. The 2011 model, of course, is all-new and untested, but previous models have had generally good reliability. I don't personally care for the interior/exterior styling of the new model, but that is a personal, subjective issue, and you might find the styling more to your tastes. Hyundai offers, on its web-site, a handy pocket-calculator where you can enter the data to suit your needs....loan length, interest rate, down payment, car selling-price, etc..... and come up with how much it will run each month on an actual purchase. They also have a site that describes leasing....vs...buying, though

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/financial-...alculator.aspx

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/financial-...ng-buying.aspx

https://www.hyundaimotorfinance.com/

I understand the no-down-payment and $350-per-month limit, but what do you mean by "do this" within 12-18 months? Do you mean you want to wait another 12-18 months before buying or leasing a car, or does that mean that you want to have the $350-a-month actually paid off within 12-18 months? If the latter, I would suggest a one-year lease, if they will give you one at the dealership. On a one-year (if they will give to you) it would be easier to get $350 on an Accent than an Elantra, but not necessarily out of the question for an Elantra. If you can't get those conditions met, and can't adjust your payment-scenario, then you may be out of the market for a new car, period.
I've noticed that most of the miles that I put into the car are from going to/coming from work, which is 54 miles a day, lets just say I work full time (currently I don't), it will be under 13,000 miles a year, so leasing a car works for me.

I have done the Hyundai financial calculation thing, but it's for purchase only, it doesn't calculate any lease information.

When I mentioned that I want it done with 12-18 months, I mean that I'm planning on leasing/buying a car within 12-18 months. I have to get a steady job (my hours have been zero to none lately), and I'm still waiting for the last credit bureau to remove this credit item off my file to fix my credit score, so banks can start trusting me again.

Anyway, I'm not in a hurry to lease/buy a car, because like I said, no down payment, no steady income, and I got bills to pay. I think once I pay off some of these big credit cards, I'll lease a car.

I'm leaning towards the Hyundai, but all that can change once the Prius C is released (reading stuff of a potential $17k starting price and 100 mpg, realistically the mpg will be lower, but if it gets 70+, than I'm all for it), and I might just get that, not sure for now.
Old 06-01-11, 12:49 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Have you guys seen the Veloster? It's being released this summer, not sure how soon though.

It's supposed to start at around $17k, and it comes with a bunch of great standard stuff, like a 7 inch touch screen.

The design looks pretty good, and I love the hands-free texting that it comes with. It gets great mileage, estimated at 40mpg.

It having 10 year/100,000 warranty, and it's assurance guarantee resale value program (when buying a new car), makes it very tempting. With this assurance thing, they guarantee you 58% of the msrp of an elantra 31-36 months later!

At this point, anything will be better than my gas-guzzling '90 LS400.
Old 06-01-11, 01:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Hyundai is on the attack. I know many wonder about long term reliability but I think they have easily matched the Japanese. I am pretty sure that Consumer reports or JD power would have picked up on some shotty build quality or reliability issue like they always managed to discover with the older American cars
Old 06-01-11, 10:47 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

I know its relatively early to report, but 2,000 miles later im still happy with my 2011 Genesis Coupe with no complaints. Dealership was also very pleasant as well. so to the OP i'd say you'd be fine with either direction you go.
Old 06-02-11, 01:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Won is low recently so they have been able to price the product well... they do have some of the best buys currently.
Old 06-02-11, 07:45 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Any Negatives about the KIA Optima? Seems like a decent car as far as looks and price. KIA offering the $9000 trade in special...
Old 06-02-11, 08:15 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Corolla = $249 a month with 0 down, 36 month
Elantra = $169 a month with $1699 down, 36 month (1699/36 = $47 add up on the monthly payment = $216 a month, a $34 different

For lease, its a great way to try out different car and not have to worry about resale value. I agree that this Elantra is the best value with the available feature. However, I never driven one and I still have the "cheap/low class" image for Hyundai. The new Kia Optima was very impressive too, but I still don't see myself getting Hyundai/Kia in the near future.
Old 06-02-11, 11:19 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Incredible
Check this out:

Toyota Corolla S (Automatic): $20,470 with Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof.
Honda Civic Si (Manual): $25,155 with Honda Linked Navigation System.
Volkswagen Jetta SEL (Automatic): $23,295 with Leather seats and Navigation.
Mazda 3 sGrand Touring (Automatic): $25,940 with Leather seats, heated front seats, Navigation.
Hyundai Elantra Limited (Automatic): $22,700 with Leather seats, heated front and rear seats, Navigation.

There are more features, I just wanted to do the comparable ones, and I'm blown away with what Hyundai has to offer.

On top of that, they got a lease special. It's $169 a month for 36 months, with $1,699 due at signing. This is for the Hyundai Elantra with an MSRP of $17,800. I'm not sure how much the monthly payments will be to get the Limited Elantra fully loaded for $5k more.
It's amazing what government subsidies and practically no labor laws can get you, eh?

As well, no one really knows - in facts and data - the long term reliability of Hyundai vehicles.

Last edited by E6BAV8R; 06-02-11 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-02-11, 12:52 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Lease coming up on the Wolf so was looking at getting another Sonata today for the DD... dream cars now just a dream, project dead ...

...love the changes to the new Sonata, loved my last one... close, $$$ looking good, will counter tomorrow...

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
As well, no one really knows - in facts and data - the long term reliability of Hyundai vehicles.
Good friend in ATL used to drive a Hyundai between ATL and Liberty U and then after college... this was in the mid 90s... put 189K miles on it, only needed tires, brakes and regular maintenance... he drove at 85-90 mph on those long trips, NEVER had on issue...
Old 06-02-11, 01:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think Hyundai has caught up on quality. Now they just need to develop that reputation and image. They will
Old 06-02-11, 02:26 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

seriously where is cut-throat??

Quick Reply: Best Bang For The Buck: Hyundai On Top?