Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: LA police officers who alleged ticket quota system win $2M judgment

Old 04-12-11, 01:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Report: LA police officers who alleged ticket quota system win $2M judgment

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/12/r...ta-system-win/

For the average motorist, dealing with law enforcement usually amounts trying to get out of a traffic citation. So it's understandable that we sometimes are less than thrilled to see them on our roads. But keep in mind that the police are the first responders whenever there is trouble, and the men and women in blue are looking out for our best interests more than many of us realize.

Case in point? Los Angeles police officers Howard Chan and David Benioff sued the city for instituting a ticket quota system (we knew it!). According to the Los Angeles Times, the officers alleged that they were instructed to write up 18 tickets each per shift. And not just any ticket – we're talking high-dollar offenses like blowing stop signs and other major moving violations.

The Los Angeles Times reports that the officers won their civil case by an 11-1 vote and were awarded a $2 million judgment due to a loss of reputation and work actions that resulted from the officers' refusal to meet that quota. Gregory Smith, Benioff's lawyer, says that he hopes the decision helps eradicate quotas, adding that the practice is "a direct violation of the vehicle code and this case was about these officers being asked to break the law."

The city's defense was that the department had broad goals for tickets, but only to improve safety and decrease fatalities. Former LAPD Commander Paul Kim tells a different story, testifying that weather, paramedic response times and the price of gas were more likely more significant reasons for traffic deaths. Hat tip to Bo!
Attached Thumbnails Report: LA police officers who alleged ticket quota system win M judgment-motorcycle-policeman-with-radar-gun.jpg  
Old 04-12-11, 01:20 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Hmmm I wonder if civilians can sue for being unfairly targeted due to these quotas.
Old 04-12-11, 01:23 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done Los Angeles police officers Howard Chan and David Benioff, the truth never hurts.
Old 04-12-11, 01:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

We have heard about these quotas for decades but they have always denied it. Something should be done for the motorists that have been subjected to the ticket quotas.
Old 04-12-11, 01:27 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What is the the difference between quota's and performance objectives?

Is it not unrealistic that in a job where you are evaluated on how you perform that job that you have a minimum standard for performance? We forget that a cops main job is the make arrest or issue citations to people that are in violation of a law.

There is a difference between a cop going out and writing a bogus summons than a cop going out and writing valid summonses to show they are doing their job. There's also a difference in a cop just pulling you over for no reason and checking to see how many tickets he can get off you. But if you get stopped for speeding while having illegal tint and are lowered beyond regulation (damn I just described my car), then how is the 'quota' system at fault for that?

There's a big quota push back going on here in NYC too and I don't get it. Quota's are fine. There needs to be a system to root out lazy cops who do anything at all costs to meet them.
Old 04-12-11, 01:47 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope this leads to a wider investigation.
Old 04-12-11, 01:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Well done Los Angeles police officers Howard Chan and David Benioff, the truth never hurts.
amen brother, amen.

big props.
Old 04-12-11, 02:05 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did they both get $2m, or did they have to split it? Either way, getting over a million bucks, and you can never work a day in your life ever again.
Old 04-12-11, 02:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Incredible
Did they both get $2m, or did they have to split it? Either way, getting over a million bucks, and you can never work a day in your life ever again.
A million dollars is not what it used to be.....unless you move to the sticks
Old 04-12-11, 03:18 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Incredible
all right
this going through the taxpayers right? [sarcasm]
Old 04-12-11, 04:09 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I totally agree!

These quota systems are messed up. I'm sure we have them here since cops like to sit out in front of my school and in neighborhoods trying to bust people over every little thing.
Old 04-12-11, 04:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oohpapi44

Is it not unrealistic that in a job where you are evaluated on how you perform that job that you have a minimum standard for performance? We forget that a cops main job is the make arrest or issue citations to people that are in violation of a law.

There is a difference between a cop going out and writing a bogus summons than a cop going out and writing valid summonses to show they are doing their job. There's also a difference in a cop just pulling you over for no reason and checking to see how many tickets he can get off you. But if you get stopped for speeding while having illegal tint and are lowered beyond regulation (damn I just described my car), then how is the 'quota' system at fault for that?

There's a big quota push back going on here in NYC too and I don't get it. Quota's are fine. There needs to be a system to root out lazy cops who do anything at all costs to meet them.

yeah but we also dont want overzealous cops ticketing people unreasonably
Old 04-12-11, 06:15 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now let's see you give the $2m back by paying back all those motorists you screwed over!
Old 04-12-11, 06:59 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

So can someone explain why these two are the ones who are receiving the $$$? Especially when they were of the ones who were issuing said 'quota' tickets?
Old 04-12-11, 07:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44

I have to agree with oopapi here. He makes some good points. Besides, quotas or not, if you don't screw up, you won't get ticketed....a cop can't give you a citation for something you didn't do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Report: LA police officers who alleged ticket quota system win $2M judgment