Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Five Mind-Blowing Innovations from Mercedes-Benz

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 01:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Five Mind-Blowing Innovations from Mercedes-Benz

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/12/f...enz/#continued

Cam-Touch-Pad HMI

There's one major problem with touchscreens, and it has little to do with greasy fingerprints. When you're using a touch-based display in a vehicle, your fingers and hand covers part of the screen. This can make navigating menus and panning around maps less-than-intuitive. However, Mercedes' Cam-Touch-Pad HMI (Human-Machine Interface) concept addresses both with a dual hardware solution.

The system utilizes a center console-mounted trackpad similar to the one on your laptop. The difference is that the pad is translucent, allowing a camera mounted behind the pad to track your finger movements. A transparent image of your fingers appears on the dash display, allowing you to see your fingertips glide across the screen while you manipulate the various controls. The image never covers up the virtual buttons and the pad allows you to swipe, push, pinch, turn and rotate everything from maps to climate control settings. The Cam-Touch-Pad was originally shown on the F800 Style concept and if it's given the green light, it could appear on the next S-Class, giving Audi's MMI Touch interface a run for its money.

Traffic Jam Assist

"Now get up to cruising speed and take your hands off the wheel," says the engineer to our right. Despite seeing the system in action earlier, we're skeptical, but we do as our German minder commands while the R-Class in front curves gently to the left. Our specially equipped S-Class follows Benz's glorified minivan as it slowly curves left, then right, then left again before centering itself in the lane. The S never misses a beat, staying within 20 feet of the R's bumper the entire time. The self-driving car is almost a reality and it's about to make start-and-stop traffic slightly less mind-numbing.

The S never misses a beat, staying within 20 feet of the R's bumper the entire time. Mercedes has also evolved its Distronic Plus active cruise control to the next level. Using the same radar-based sensors that detect a vehicle in front to match its speed, and combining them with a stereo camera mounted above the rearview mirror, the Traffic Jam Assist system can analyze a vehicle in front (up to a distance of 50 meters and 25 mph) and steers the car without driver intervention. Well, almost. If the driver takes his hands off the wheel for more than eight seconds, an alert chimes in to inform them that the system will shut down without some kind of control, and after another three seconds of hands-free driving, Traffic Jam Assist turns off.

After playing with the system for the better part of 10 minutes, we found that a palm on the wheel was enough for the sensor (a 50,000-euro prototype mounted behind the wheel) to recognize our hand on the wheel, but a fingertip – an unfortunate but preferred means of steering for millions of commuters – didn't do the job. And what if the vehicle in front decides to do an impromptu lane change? The cameras also track the lines of the road, ensuring that you'll never leave your lane. As soon as Mercedes gets the cost in check, Traffic Jam Assist should be coming to a range-topping Merc in a few year's time.

The Virtual Highway

Deep within the bowels of Mercedes' new $220 million testing facility in Stuttgart are five simulators. We'll be getting to the big boy of the bunch in a moment, but the Virtual Highway has a more direct line to Benz's production models.

Mercedes starts by driving a truck equipped with a brace of high-definition cameras and lasers down a particularly pock-marked road (the one we got the sample was a stretch of road in Los Angeles, CA). The data from the drive is downloaded, analyzed and incorporated into an Benz-developed computer program that's hooked up to the hydraulic platform pictured above. As the video plays back, each and every bump, imperfection and crease of the road is transmitted through the platform and into the butts of the testers. This allows Mercedes to virtually tune a suspension without leaving their cozy simulator facility. The engineers are adamant that this isn't designed to be a substitute for real-world testing – it's a supplement to gather data. So what if you used similar technology to modify a vehicle's suspension on the fly? Meet Magic Body Control.

Magic Body Control

Utilizing a pair of stereo cameras mounted on the windshield – similar to those used for Traffic Jam Assist – the system "observes" the road in front of the vehicle from two perspectives, analyzes the data and then tells the Advanced Body Control (ABC) suspension how to deal with the bumps. The suspension system at each wheel acts independently, allowing the vehicle to effortless float over potholes and road ruts. Expect the first implementation of Magic Body Control to come to Mercedes' products later this year.

Your Personal Assistant 'Gloria'

Voice commands have come a long way in just the last few years, but Mercedes believe that the wide-spread adoption is hindered by the lack of natural speech. Mercedes' solution is 'Gloria,' a digital avatar that's displayed on the COMAND screen to take voice commands.

Mercedes' rationale is sound: You're more inclined to speak naturally to a human figure than talking out loud to no one. So when you see Gloria's face, you know she's ready to take any command, ranging from navigation instructions to point-of-interest searches. Ford has been toying with similar "virtual assistant" avatar technology, EVA, for at least a couple of years now, as shown on its 2009 showcar, the Lincoln Concept C.

Mercedes maintains that despite recent advances, conversational commands are still three-to-five years away, and they'll probably never be able to fully dissect all dialects and accents. However, the bigger issue is with computing power. You can't fit a Cray into the trunk of an SLK, but fitting a high-speed wireless connection connected would allow the system to tap into the cloud for speech recognition, similar to what Google is doing with Android's Voice-to-Text functionality.

The World's Most Advanced Driving Simulator

In May of 1985, Daimler-Benz built its first in-house developed simulator, and in the intervening years, the automaker has been at the forefront of simulator technology. The latest addition is this 300-ton behemoth in Stuttgart, spanning over 24 feet – enough for any Benz to fit inside – and equipped with 40-foot tracks for horizontal and vertical motion, a 360-degree display fed by eight projectors and six hydraulic drive "elements" (i.e. legs) to simulate pitch, yaw and a variety of other movements.

The hexapod sim contains a fully-built vehicle, with data lines sending information 1,000 times a second to the bank of computers outside, and can simulate everything from country roads to downtown drives, allowing Mercedes' engineers to tune everything from suspension compression to braking systems, along with different drivetrains and NVH testing. Is the roar of the engine bouncing off the walls of a building and entering the cabin? They can increase the volume, pinpoint where the noise is intruding and hammer out a new seal in a few day's time.

Situated in the driver's seat of a full-size CLS, Benz's boffins flicked on the screens and let us go from a virtual drive through the countryside and into a small town. The sensations prove to be disconcerting but clinically accurate, with quick steering movements instantly translated into lateral force. Stamping on the brake pedal brought about the same kind of forward dive you'd expect on the road, and we were able to sample both early and late prototype suspension setups back-to-back to see how Mercedes engineered the system to balance comfort, compliance, control and sportiness.

The sim is used for both development and final product testing, with regular drivers coming inside to test the physical limits of a vehicle without the risk of injury or damage. So if you get a call from Mercedes asking you to drive its next generation of products, you could spend some time inside the world's most advanced driving simulator.
Old 04-12-11, 02:02 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

awesome.

But I foresee some impatient drunk punching Gloria in the face when she keeps saying "Pardon me. Can you repeat the command please? "
Old 04-12-11, 02:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Mercedes has been generally accepted as the pinnacle of automotive engineering. They are usually the first to come out with new technologies.( Then the Japanese copy it, tweak it, and make it reliable. LOL.) Its the way its been for decades. What ever mercedes designs will usually be in all cars in about 8-10 years

Example: air bags, navigation systems, seat belts,......the list goes on and on.
Old 04-12-11, 02:36 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Some good stuff coming to cars! Can't wait!
Old 04-12-11, 02:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I read a few months back that they are going to be the first to have internet connection in the car soon as well.
Old 04-12-11, 03:02 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Mercedes has been generally accepted as the pinnacle of automotive engineering. They are usually the first to come out with new technologies.( Then the Japanese copy it, tweak it, and make it reliable. LOL.) Its the way its been for decades. What ever mercedes designs will usually be in all cars in about 8-10 years

Example: air bags, navigation systems, seat belts,......the list goes on and on.
you cannot forget ABS....
Old 04-12-11, 03:15 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mercedes didn't invent airbags. Airbags were first seen on some high-end Cadillacs and Oldsmobiles in the late 1970s where they proved unreliable and generally faulty. Mercedes made them work reliably in their cars and thus proved that they could work in accident situations and save lives.
Old 04-12-11, 03:48 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Out of their latest technologies the translucent screen and magic body control (2nd gen ABC) is the most developed and will be the ones available first, I think the magic body control is going to be available in next gen S Class or sooner.
Old 04-12-11, 03:52 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in my pre-medical school, car designer-wannabe days, I drew up a schematic that looks exactly like the Cam Touchpad shown here. Exciting to see that it works in real life and it will be a huge step forward if implemented right.

I read a few months back that they are going to be the first to have internet connection in the car soon as well.
Doesn't Audi already have this?
Old 04-12-11, 03:55 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by DustinV
Mercedes didn't invent airbags. Airbags were first seen on some high-end Cadillacs and Oldsmobiles in the late 1970s where they proved unreliable and generally faulty. Mercedes made them work reliably in their cars and thus proved that they could work in accident situations and save lives.
Mercedes invented the air bag back in 1971 but they didn't make it as standared option until the 80s. I can't confirm if Cadillacs and Olds having air bags back in the 80s or not but if they did they licensed the techology from Mercedes.

Just like Mercedes co owned the carbon ceramic brakes technology but they didn't use it on their own cars as the price was prohibitive but instead appears on Ferrari and Lamborghini and other high end exotic cars first.
Old 04-12-11, 04:15 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

These sound like some good features. Now if I could just get a car that can turn into Optimus Prime, all will be good.
Old 04-12-11, 05:48 PM
LexFather

I think a lot of it is the media as well. They seem to fap over anything a German brand does first. German culture also is different, they shout their accomplishments. Japanese culture is different, yes they do copy (so do the Germans but that is rarely talked about) but they also create but they rarely brag about it and the media rarely talks about it.

The LS 460 had 11 world firsts and Lexus rarely mentions it for example.

Old 04-12-11, 05:57 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think a lot of it is the media as well. They seem to fap over anything a German brand does first. German culture also is different, they shout their accomplishments. Japanese culture is different, yes they do copy (so do the Germans but that is rarely talked about) but they also create but they rarely brag about it and the media rarely talks about it.

Very true.

I'm pretty sure I saw a Lexus commercial that had a fleeting glance at a huge car simulator that looked EXACTLY THE SAME as the one Mercedes is currently touting as "world's most advanced"...
Old 04-12-11, 06:50 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rF9Cq_GRX0
Old 04-12-11, 07:03 PM
LexFather

^^^ and did autoblog have an article on it?

Quick Reply: Five Mind-Blowing Innovations from Mercedes-Benz