Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Your Favorite Car Trivia Questions ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-11, 01:10 PM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your Favorite Car Trivia Questions ??

How about some good car related trivia questions that can stump even the best car guys?

I'll start:

The Ford Skyliner was the first production vehicle in America to offer an automatic retractable hardtop in the mid-50s. What was the second?

(After several guesses of 60's, 70's, 80's cars that never really existed....)

The answer is the 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT Spyder. It seems to get people because there is such a huge gap before anyone tried it again.

Who's got some good ones?
Old 04-09-11, 07:05 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The Corvette is the longest running continually produced model sports car, being built since 1953. How many 1983 Corvettes were built and sold?

1983 was supposed to mark the 30th anniversary of the Corvette with the new 4th generation (C4) body style. There were 44 1983 pre-production cars built and trotted out for the press to review. However, production problems delayed the launch until the spring of 1983. GM decided to launch the C4 as a 1984 model, supposedly due to EPA emissions rules. No 1983 Corvettes were sold and 43 of the 44 pre-production cars were crash tested, smashed, or dismantled. One remaining car was eventually returned to the Bowling Green, KY Corvette plant where it was saved from the crusher, restored, and loaned to the National Corvette Museum across the road.
Old 04-09-11, 08:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

What was the last production 4-door convertible sold in the U.S.?

Lincoln Continental....1967.

Why was the famous, rear-winged 1970 Plymouth Superbird/ Dodge Daytona Charger not sold or registered in Maryland?

The state would not recognize its wedge-front-end as a legally-required bumper.

What engine powered the Triumph TR8?

An aluminum Buick-derived 3.5L V8

How many times did Chrysler's Lee Iacocca smooth-talk a bunch of nonsense about his products on TV cameras in the 1980's?

Don't know............my computer's memory-circuts fried trying to add them up.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-09-11 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-09-11, 01:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

A. where did the Ferrari symbol originate from?

B. where did the Lamborghini symbol come from?

Ferrari symbol was taken from the symbol placed on a war plane ( dont want to go into all of the details because I have in the past and it seemed like nobody cares)

Lamborghini symbol came from the astrological sign for Ferruccio Lamborghini. He was a Taurus
Old 04-09-11, 06:40 PM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I read somewhere a long time ago that Lexus stood for "Luxury EXport to U.S." and before Lexus was to be called Luxus
Old 04-09-11, 06:54 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Q: How many of the 1940 Chrysler Newport Dual-Cowl Pheaton were built?

A: 6. there were only 6 built because it was a publicity stunt by Chrysler.
Old 04-09-11, 08:45 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Q: How many Corvettes were sold for the 1983 model year?

A: None. 44 were produced, but none were sold to the public. Only 1 survives and is at the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY - and it's still owned by GM.

I saw it - it's white with fabric interior.
Old 04-09-11, 08:51 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by MadMax96
Q: How many Corvettes were sold for the 1983 model year?

A: None. 44 were produced, but none were sold to the public. Only 1 survives and is at the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY - and it's still owned by GM.

I saw it - it's white with fabric interior.
I've heard of this Corvette. I used to have a picture of it.
Old 04-10-11, 01:36 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
A. where did the Ferrari symbol originate from?

B. where did the Lamborghini symbol come from?

Ferrari symbol was taken from the symbol placed on a war plane ( dont want to go into all of the details because I have in the past and it seemed like nobody cares)

Lamborghini symbol came from the astrological sign for Ferruccio Lamborghini. He was a Taurus

I liked that thread you made on the Ferrari symbol based on Stuggart. It was pretty interesting trivia to me.
Old 04-11-11, 12:10 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Post 1961 Motor Trend Car of the Year & why?

One of my all-time favorite cars designed by my top automotive icons John Z. Delorean. 1961 Motor Trend Car of the Year. This was the working prototype for what would become the GTO. If only GM would have let the man do things his way. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1961-1...c-tempest9.htm
Old 04-11-11, 01:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Last model year American sedans with suicide doors available?

1969 (Thunderbird and Lincoln)
Old 04-11-11, 03:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Last model year American sedans with suicide doors available?

1969 (Thunderbird and Lincoln)
Your answer is correct, but, out of curiosity, Chrysler did a prototype Imperial several years ago with Bentley/Rolls-Royce styling and suicide-doors, but never put it into production. We had several chat-threads on it in this forum.

Old 04-11-11, 05:21 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I got one, it still amazes me.

Name all the V8 powered Japanese coupe?

SC400 and SC430.

I can't believe it is 2011 and Toyota is the only Japanese company that put a V8 in a coupe
Old 04-11-11, 05:40 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Your answer is correct, but, out of curiosity, Chrysler did a prototype Imperial several years ago with Bentley/Rolls-Royce styling and suicide-doors, but never put it into production. We had several chat-threads on it in this forum.

(lol, but it comes as no surprise that my "answer is correct")

Wow that Chrysler concept is ugly, no wonder it never made in to production. Certainly a suicide door 300 might have more potential.

I like this small Jag/Bertone sedan/concept car (w/suicide doors):
Attached Thumbnails Your Favorite Car Trivia Questions ??-2011-bertone-jaguar-b99-concept.jpg  
Old 04-11-11, 06:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
(lol, but it comes as no surprise that my "answer is correct")
Most people wouldn't have known that answer off the tip of their tongue, but, of course, you and I grew up with those cars in 1969. I remember my dad, recently-retired from the Army and working for Philco-Ford, bringing home big Mercurys and Lincolns regularly at night after work. Though only a junior/senior in high school, I liked big luxury cars of the era much as I did the muscle-cars of the era. He'd toss me the keys (he knew I was a careful driver) and let me try them out, driving sensibly. One night he brought home a '69 Continental that the company VP was using. He tossed me the keys and warned me to be careful with it. I took it out for about an hour, put some premium-gas in it (it held some 26 gallons) and Man, I fell in love with that magic carpet ride...it felt like a monstrous 5200-lb. pillow moving across a mirror-cloud surface, and tomb-quiet.

Also ties in, to some extent, with my earlier trivia-post on the last 4-door convertible...the '67 Continental.

Wow that Chrysler concept is ugly, no wonder it never made in to production. Certainly a suicide door 300 might have more potential.
Though not expressly forbidden by law, the government discourages the use of suicide-doors. That's why, on vehicles with small, forward-opening rear-doors like the Mazda RX-8, older Saturn coupes, and some pickup trucks, you have to open the front doors first before you open the rears.....they act as an anchor for the rears.

Quick Reply: Your Favorite Car Trivia Questions ??