Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

TEXAS: Speed Limit Raising to 85!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-11, 03:20 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

If only the speed limit on the i90 in new york where i am was a little higher. 65 is just to slow for where i am in complete emptiness, no traffic and straight stretches
Old 04-15-11, 03:36 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've driven I-10 from Kerrville, TX westward to the NM border at 80mph and have never seen any problems, accidents or even police. People behave themselves and I don't see them going faster than 80. Most people set the cruise control and just roll the miles. Adding 5mph to the speed limit won't change anything.
Old 04-15-11, 04:43 PM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish there was a speed minimum on the highway. All it takes is 3-4 cars to drive turtle slow coasting next to each other to screw it up for the other 300k people who need to use the freeway.
Old 04-15-11, 06:53 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great move, Texas!
Old 04-16-11, 10:59 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
God I hope it doesn't come to the DFW area. A lot of people here simply don't know how to drive on the highway, where 60-65 is currently the max limit around the metroplex. It frightens me to think of anyone doing 85.

The problem is so many people are selfish drivers and don't care about anyone around them, as long as they get to where they are going they don't care about the mess it causes for everyone else.

I hate to tell you this, but unless you have been living under a rock for the last decade, clearly you can see that if you enter a texas freeway at a speed less than 75-80, most times you will either be run off the road, flipped off, or rear ended. I went to college in DFW at UT-Arlington, and its that way on every freeway in the metroplex except I-820 and TX RT's 114, 183, and US 377, where the speed limits are 55 or lower, but traffic is ALWAYS backed up so it never reaches 55.
Old 04-16-11, 12:01 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, this is almost enough to make me move to Texas.
Old 04-16-11, 12:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
Of course it will cause safety issue for the public with high speed limit. Imaging a small 2,500lbs car cruising at 90/100mph......these car will flip/roll/bounce like a ball. I drive the 2,500lbs Corolla for 8 years and 65~70 MPH is the limit for a stable ride on a good/average interstate HWY. Yes, you can drive faster but the car will start to bounce. A 3,600lbs car will do just fine but a average small/midsize sedan will become unstable at 80MPH and it will take alot of focus to stay on the road.

I have had 4~5 hour driving trip with both G35x & the RSX. The G35x was stable/easy to steer at 75MPH while I have to pay close attention on the steer of the RSX. It would has been easiler at 65MPH, but I don't feel like falling behind the traffic flow.

Alot of people like to stay with the traffic flow regradless of the car they are driving (Like me). Keep in mind that the time & distance to stop a car from 60MPH-0 & 80MPH-0 are day & night!!! And its easy to lost control of the car.
Some good points, grabber.

My own view on the subject is that you can't stop the laws of physics. Higher speed limits will not affect safety, of course, as long as accidents don't happen. But, the faster you go, the more kinetic energy the car has, the longer it will take to stop in an emergency, and the greater the impact-force, vehicle-damage, and likelihood of personal injury or death there will be if an accident does happen. That holds true no matter where you are driving...here in D.C., in Texas, or on the German Autobahns.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-16-11 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-16-11, 12:14 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

80-85 mph is normal traffic in socal in the fast lane as long as there is not gridlock or one person doing 45 mph.
Old 04-16-11, 12:26 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 416 Likes on 343 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
God I hope it doesn't come to the DFW area. A lot of people here simply don't know how to drive on the highway, where 60-65 is currently the max limit around the metroplex. It frightens me to think of anyone doing 85.

The problem is so many people are selfish drivers and don't care about anyone around them, as long as they get to where they are going they don't care about the mess it causes for everyone else.
That's very true! I've lived in DFW most of my life and it's scary to drive with the current speed limit. Nobody can drive and the traffic gets crazy!

Originally Posted by grabber2
Of course it will cause safety issue for the public with high speed limit. Imaging a small 2,500lbs car cruising at 90/100mph......these car will flip/roll/bounce like a ball. I drive the 2,500lbs Corolla for 8 years and 65~70 MPH is the limit for a stable ride on a good/average interstate HWY. Yes, you can drive faster but the car will start to bounce. A 3,600lbs car will do just fine but a average small/midsize sedan will become unstable at 80MPH and it will take alot of focus to stay on the road.

I have had 4~5 hour driving trip with both G35x & the RSX. The G35x was stable/easy to steer at 75MPH while I have to pay close attention on the steer of the RSX. It would has been easiler at 65MPH, but I don't feel like falling behind the traffic flow.

Alot of people like to stay with the traffic flow regradless of the car they are driving (Like me). Keep in mind that the time & distance to stop a car from 60MPH-0 & 80MPH-0 are day & night!!! And its easy to lost control of the car.
That is an excellent point! My SC300 can handle going over 70 MPH with ease, but my 2,300 lb, 120 horsepower Saturn struggles just to get to 60 MPH. The wind alone already makes it really difficult to drive the car at high speeds. If the speed limit was raised to 85, it'd be too dangerous to drive something that slow on the highway.

I guess it's a great excuse for me to buy a faster though.

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I hate to tell you this, but unless you have been living under a rock for the last decade, clearly you can see that if you enter a texas freeway at a speed less than 75-80, most times you will either be run off the road, flipped off, or rear ended. I went to college in DFW at UT-Arlington, and its that way on every freeway in the metroplex except I-820 and TX RT's 114, 183, and US 377, where the speed limits are 55 or lower, but traffic is ALWAYS backed up so it never reaches 55.
Yeah, that's how it works down there. There is always traffic, so it's rare for me to ever get to the speed limit unless it's at a time where there's no traffic.