Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cincinnati impounding cars with oversize wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-11, 09:11 PM
LexFather

Post Cincinnati impounding cars with oversize wheels

http://jalopnik.com/#!5789022/cincin...versize-wheels

Cincinnati residents who enjoy a higher view of the road thanks to oversized wheels are having their vehicles impounded by the Cincinnati police who only return them after an inspection, saying rims are suddenly a safety issue.

Why the law enforcers of WKRP-land decided chrome spinners were menacing the populace more than a decade after they became popular isn't known; city officials have yet to explain the reasoning behind the move. Owners say the crackdown came without warning, and that if a vehicle doesn't pass a city inspection, the owner must pay an impound fee, a fine and hire a tow truck to haul it out of the city lot.

It's here where one has to mention Cincinnati's history of ill will between police and black residents, a relationship that's reportedly healing after 2001 riots. Know what could sustain those improvements? Explaining decisions rather than making unannounced shifts in

Old 04-05-11, 09:38 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

By safety issue, could they be implying the donking of cars raises the car up higher than intended thus raising the center of gravity making the car more likely to be at chance of a roll over?
Old 04-05-11, 10:08 PM
stick
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every time I roll up to a car like that I say, "How often do you go off-roading? I bet you can roll over big boulders with no problem."
Old 04-05-11, 10:18 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Even though it may seem ugly to all of us, I think they should still have the right to do that. What kind of safety issue are they talking about? If it's a higher center of gravity I would argue SUVs and trucks would fall in the same category.

This doesn't seem right to me.
Old 04-06-11, 01:26 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Total B.S. If this is the case, then the police need to pull every lifted F250, Jeeps, and just about any modded car. Sure they are ugly as hell, but this is America.

What happened to freedom of expression/speech? Sounds like another way to target certain groups to me.

I'd like to see some data of car accidents involving cars they are targeting.
Old 04-06-11, 02:02 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sc-driver
Even though it may seem ugly to all of us, I think they should still have the right to do that. What kind of safety issue are they talking about? If it's a higher center of gravity I would argue SUVs and trucks would fall in the same category.

This doesn't seem right to me.
+1

Originally Posted by bruce van
Total B.S. If this is the case, then the police need to pull every lifted F250, Jeeps, and just about any modded car. Sure they are ugly as hell, but this is America.

What happened to freedom of expression/speech? Sounds like another way to target certain groups to me.

I'd like to see some data of car accidents involving cars they are targeting.
I agree
Old 04-06-11, 03:06 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Just like traffic light cameras...another way to raise revenue for ailing city governments.
Old 04-06-11, 03:23 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Good. Technically, you only need the biggest wheel size to clear the brake calipers. The ONLY reason any REAL car has oversized wheels (more than 15") is because it has oversized brakes. Any true race car does NOT have rubber band tires around the rim. . . and I don't know where this stupid and ridiculous myth of less sidewall = better handling. However, a better, more expensive, and WIDER tire does = better handling. More importantly, the mismatched bumper height is very dangerous. In a strong collision, the cars bumpers (due to not being in spec) will not meet, therefore increasing the odds that the crumple zones will not do their intended jobs. It's a recipe to guillotine a small and low car (like a Miata) and kill somebody with an oversized hunk of junk 80's used car. Man, if someone were going to kill me, I'd at least hope it'd be something cool like Bugatti slamming into me at 200MPH. . . not some McDonald's fry pushing fail-mobile, with ghetto-fail-tabolous rims.

Sorry /rant. But I'm an extremely intolerant and impatient person. If I had it my way, I'd throw everyone in jail, including myself, LOL.
Old 04-06-11, 04:40 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I'm not a big fan of the oversized wheels, but I do find this to be ridiculous. This is just a cheap way for them to make money. This isn't the kind of stuff that should be going on in America.
Old 04-06-11, 04:50 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I like it!
Old 04-06-11, 05:49 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Something probably happened and the cops got tired and decided to tighten up and do what they should of been doing, yeah it sucks that they just towed your car but it sucks more for the people who have some custom home depot lift and the welds are strong enough to hold 2 soda cans together
Old 04-06-11, 06:39 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dj.ctwatt
Good. Technically, you only need the biggest wheel size to clear the brake calipers. The ONLY reason any REAL car has oversized wheels (more than 15") is because it has oversized brakes. Any true race car does NOT have rubber band tires around the rim. . . and I don't know where this stupid and ridiculous myth of less sidewall = better handling. However, a better, more expensive, and WIDER tire does = better handling. More importantly, the mismatched bumper height is very dangerous. In a strong collision, the cars bumpers (due to not being in spec) will not meet, therefore increasing the odds that the crumple zones will not do their intended jobs. It's a recipe to guillotine a small and low car (like a Miata) and kill somebody with an oversized hunk of junk 80's used car. Man, if someone were going to kill me, I'd at least hope it'd be something cool like Bugatti slamming into me at 200MPH. . . not some McDonald's fry pushing fail-mobile, with ghetto-fail-tabolous rims.

Sorry /rant. But I'm an extremely intolerant and impatient person. If I had it my way, I'd throw everyone in jail, including myself, LOL.
Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Something probably happened and the cops got tired and decided to tighten up and do what they should of been doing, yeah it sucks that they just towed your car but it sucks more for the people who have some custom home depot lift and the welds are strong enough to hold 2 soda cans together
Originally Posted by Jewcano
By safety issue, could they be implying the donking of cars raises the car up higher than intended thus raising the center of gravity making the car more likely to be at chance of a roll over?
Any evidence to back up either theory that 'donk' styled cars are more prone to either of what you claim above?

Not saying you're wrong because that style can't work here with the amount of potholes we have so I don't know, just wondering if there is any proof of this to be true or just speculation.
Old 04-06-11, 06:56 AM
Luxotic
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cinncinati another source of revenue ... what will they think of next
Old 04-06-11, 07:01 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Any evidence to back up either theory that 'donk' styled cars are more prone to either of what you claim above?

Not saying you're wrong because that style can't work here with the amount of potholes we have so I don't know, just wondering if there is any proof of this to be true or just speculation.
I'm to lazy to pull up any studies or specifics (if they even exist). But I can tell you about safety regulation and the cars and trucks (even semi's and buses) have mandated bumper heights. Also, my brother totalled his LS400 when a raised truck spun out on a bridge (I'm sure he was speeding and following too closely), and the resulting minor impact completely smashed the hood all the way up to the windshield. It's the same principle and basically just logic. If your bumper is too high, it's not going to do it's job. It's like asking me to prove 1+1=2. But either way, my post was meant more to be humorous and rant-ful than to be taken as science. If you want the hard facts, do your own research or ask some people who investigate accidents. This is a common issue. But definitely don't take my word for it.
Old 04-06-11, 07:05 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Ug. . . some google results for you to get you started: (and it shows why it pays not to listen to everyone: SUV's and trucks are not regulated, but passenger cars are, wow!!!)

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/brief...-Speed%20Crash
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/s...per/index.html
http://www.car-accidentlawyers.com/bumper-height.php

I cite the NHTSA and a car accident lawyer...

Quick Reply: Cincinnati impounding cars with oversize wheels