Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Accord Crosstour Cabriolet - April Fool's Joke?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-11, 10:18 AM
svntwosix
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accord Crosstour Cabriolet - April Fool's Joke?

They can't be serious...What do you think?

Are unconventional droptops becoming the darling of the automotive industry? Honda is evidently paying close attention to the new Murano CrossCabriolet from Nissan, and apparently it likes what it sees. Historically averse to convertibles (small-volume jobs like the S2000 excluded), the Japanese automaker now plans to offer a soft-top CUV of its own, and the unlikely choice for a roofectomy is the slow-selling Honda Accord Crosstour.

Unimaginatively dubbed the Accord Crosstour Cabriolet, this convertible features a two-plus-two interior seating arrangement and unlimited headroom. Under the hood sits the familiar 3.5-liter V6 engine, which produces 271 horsepower and 254 pound-feet of torque. Like the fixed-roof Crosstour, the Cabriolet will be offered with front- and all-wheel drive, giving it more configurablility than the AWD-only Murano. Like the Nissan, the cabrio conversion has resulted in two fewer doors and the merciful exclusion of a basket-handle structural support. Oddly, to our eyes, the Crosstour Cabriolet almost looks more attractive than the hunchbacked hardtop – at least with the top down.

When it goes on sale this summer, the Honda Accord Crosstour Cabriolet will sit atop the Crosstour's pricing structure. The fully-loaded Crosstour we reviewed in 2010 had a sticker price of $36,930, so expect the convertible to come in right at a stitch over the $40K mark. That's a bit less than the $47,190 Nissan wants for its Murano CrossCab.
Old 04-01-11, 10:19 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

God I hope so...
Old 04-01-11, 10:30 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

It has to be a April Fools joke, there's no talk about on vtec.net, also Honda is not crazy like Nissan.
Old 04-01-11, 10:54 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

April Fools=potential sales volume to say the least.

Almost as ugly as the flexi-flyer Murano cabriolet.
Old 04-01-11, 10:54 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

i hope not, because its more ugly as a convertible.
Old 04-01-11, 11:01 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just when you think it couldn't get uglier... Better be april fools Joke.
Old 04-01-11, 11:21 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think its a great idea. Not very good looking but......
Old 04-01-11, 11:23 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

oh my...
Old 04-01-11, 11:32 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Convertiturd in the making, oh my.
Old 04-01-11, 11:42 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will literally go berserk and kill innocent people if that goes into production.

Old 04-01-11, 11:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
April Fools=potential sales volume to say the least.

I actually don't think it's as awkward-looking as the hatchback. But, I agree that it's probably a April-Fool prank..........I didn't see any references to it on the "Future Vehicles/Concepts on Honda's web-site.

Even if it were genuine, AWD convertibles are comparatively rare. They are not something regularly offered by automakers....the Nissan Murano concept notwithstanding. The last production one I can clearly remember was the two-seater Suzuki XC90, which had a rather primitive part-time 4WD and a removable roof-panel.....kind of like a raised-ground-clearance, off-road Honda-Del-Sol.

(off-topic, but I wonder why Suzuki let Volvo use the same XC90 designation without a legal fuss?)

The general marketing philosophy behind the long-standing AWD restrictions on convertibles (though I don't totally agree with it) is that, since convertibles are designed primarily for sunny, warm weather, one will not need AWD for wet/snow traction. However, at the same time, automakers spend a lot of money on their convertible tops making them seal well, with good insulation from cold weather and the elements. So, to me, why give a convertible good cold-weather and rain/snow insulation if you aren't going to give it the traction capabilities as well? (perhaps a weight issue, since convertibles are often, with their added hardware and frame/chassis bracing, heavier than their equivalent sedans/coupes to start with...AWD would just add that much more weight and drag)

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-01-11 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-01-11, 12:14 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I actually don't think it's as awkward-looking as the hatchback. But, I agree that it's probably a April-Fool prank..........I didn't see any references to it on the "Future Vehicles/Concepts on Honda's web-site.
Agreed, it's slightly less ugly.

But I was mainly referring to it's lack of potential sales volume that adds to it appeal as April Fools joke.
Old 04-01-11, 12:19 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Got to be a joke. Hard to believe they'd build this when the hard top version of the car is a hard sell.
Old 04-01-11, 12:51 PM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

Oh dear I hope so. That thing looks disgusting. Don't wanna cause traffic accidents from looking at this thing on the road and hurling.
Old 04-01-11, 02:11 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Pleeeeease be a joke! It's bad enough the roads are already uglified with the Crossturd and soon to be Murano Cross*****. (Wait, if they mated, would it be a Turd***** or *****turd?)

Quick Reply: Accord Crosstour Cabriolet - April Fool's Joke?