Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo X Hemi **JUNK**

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-11, 12:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I am really sorry to hear this. I know its very frustrating when stuff like this happens. This is why I would never touch a Jeep ( or any American car for that matter). I hope they can get things in order for you. 11mpg is just unacceptable. Gas will be at about $6/gallon in less than 2-3 years ( I keep hearing this). Thats gonna hurt. Damn and I felt guilty when my LS gets 22 or 21 mpg
Old 03-31-11, 12:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My parents has a last gen JGC that they got rid of in the spring of 2010. It was a complete and total piece of junk, with my parents driving it averaged about 10-11mpg, when I borrowed it, I'd get 8-9. The hemi engine is an unrefined piece of junk and doesn't live up to its power rating at all, it felt sluggish at highway speeds. I remember the fog light switch falling apart in my hands when I tried to use it.

Anyway, to the op, good riddance on the Jeep, but the ML that you got is essentially the same chassis. If its the ML350 then the engine is very disappointing as well, but ML550 engine is awesome.
Old 03-31-11, 12:55 PM
Alucard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shame. I thought the new Grand Cherokee (especially with the saddle color interior) looked pretty darn good.

I wonder if the Fiat 500 will be just as poopy.
Old 03-31-11, 01:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by BLUEGXLVCR
First off this is a big RANT.

I purchased for my wife a 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo X back in July of last year. She really liked it and I have to say I was skeptical about the quality but thought, hey, they are trying to reinvent themselves. I couldn't have been more wrong.

From the onset I noticed "quirks" that I was none to pleased with...

1) Radio screen would not dim at night
2) Toggle switch on steering wheel did not work properly
3) Shifting was inconsistent, hesitent even
4) Gas mileage was VERY bad (11mpg and my wife drives like a granny)
5) Burning more than 1 quart of oil in less than 1K miles

So I bring the truck into the dealer and explain the situation. The service advisor says the switch is normal and that I don't know how to use it. Admittedly, he had to reprogram the radio to get the dimmer to work. The shifting is normal to enhance fuel economy. If I'm getting 11MPG, than I am driving VERY aggresively. And my favorite...

"Industry standard is it is completely normal for vehicles to burn 1qt of oil every 1K miles and expect to burn over 1qt once the vehicle hits 50K miles. The engine will build up sludge and hopefully this will stop the oil from burning. Especially here in the desert (Las Vegas)."

Excuse me? Do I look like I was born yesterday? I asked him to print out this industry standard which he never did. So we begin an oil consumption test as he does not believe me. 1K miles go by and I'm back in the dealer. I DEMAND the switch be replaced on the steering wheel. I get a call...

"We replaced the switch and found out the part was superceeded with a new part number. It works as designed now. (it didn't) We checked the oil and it's down 1qt but that is normal. I called Chrysler and they refuse to do anything about it. You need to accept the car for what it is as we can't do anything more for you."

I picked up the Jeep, drove across the street, and promptly traded it in for a Mercedes (I tried to get wifey in the RX but it was a no go). I lost a good amount of money on it and cannot begin to explain how pissed I am.

So moral of the story, trust your first instinct and tell Chrysler to take their flagship vehicle and place it squarely in their rear.

Just to add, I asked my wife to "race" my GX470 off the line with the Grand Cherokee with the Hemi just to see if I was smoking crack. Well, my GX used her Jeep. Come on, my GX is NOT fast. I get about 16mpg and the Jeep got 11mpg. I drive like I stole it, she drives like it's Sunday after church.

COMPLETE GARBAGE.

Rant off...I love my GX470.
moral of the story - dont trust american media when they tell you "it is all good now" :-).
I was living in the states when Contour and Malibu got all those COTY awards and we see how that panned out in the end :-)

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...istory-feature
Old 03-31-11, 01:28 PM
slawek65
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife have 2011 JGC Overland with Hemi 5.7 for over 5 months now. To this date no single problem. She drives harder then I, and average 14-16 mpg in the city. Oil level stay the same ( no burning at all ) and I check level once a week. I am sorry but I thing Your's was a lemon.
Old 03-31-11, 02:01 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Still unclear if the OP's JGC is the new body style or the last. Can he confirm? I too don't recall seeing the new one until last Fall.
As far as the ML replacement, I'd be a little worried about that too. It's had a long and troubled history. I highly recommend checking out Consumer Reports information on car reliability. It's been pretty accurate over the years.
Old 03-31-11, 02:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Sorry to hear about your misortune. I'm a big fan of the new GC exterior, but I too would be concerned about reliabily issues.

Btw isn't the new GC riding on the underpinnings of the Mercedes Benz ML...
Old 03-31-11, 02:14 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Btw isn't the new GC riding on the underpinnings of the Mercedes Benz ML...
Yes, the new ML (which is not on market).
Old 03-31-11, 02:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by slawek65
My wife have 2011 JGC Overland with Hemi 5.7 for over 5 months now. To this date no single problem. She drives harder then I, and average 14-16 mpg in the city. Oil level stay the same ( no burning at all ) and I check level once a week. I am sorry but I thing Your's was a lemon.
i think biggest part of the problem was that they told him that all these issues were the way car was designed :-)
Old 03-31-11, 02:53 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Still unclear if the OP's JGC is the new body style or the last. Can he confirm? I too don't recall seeing the new one until last Fall.
As far as the ML replacement, I'd be a little worried about that too. It's had a long and troubled history. I highly recommend checking out Consumer Reports information on car reliability. It's been pretty accurate over the years.
2011 is the new body design, and it hit dealers just about June/July last year.
Old 03-31-11, 03:01 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Combination of a bad build and bad dealer.
Old 03-31-11, 03:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pbm317
2011 is the new body design, and it hit dealers just about June/July last year.
Yes, new 2011 model arrived mid-summer in northern California too.

As long as OP confirms it was a model year 2011, then it would be new design based on next gen Mercedes ML.
Old 03-31-11, 05:42 PM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Sorry for the delay, was out by the pool. (Hey first 85+ day in Las Vegas, had to be done!)

It was the new model, it was the second 11 GC sold in Nevada. To clarify, I did break in the vehicle properly, no gunning it, no steady speeds. I did that for the first 1,500 miles and that's when I found the quart low. I added a quart to find out that it burned it again. Had the oil changed when the oil consumption test was started, it burned a quart in 950 miles.

I did check with a lawyer and yes, 1 quart of oil every 1,000 miles is 'acceptable'. So, it would have to have repairs done three times for the same problem with no improvement.

I will say, I was happy with the interior design and exterior design. It's pretty awesome looking inside and out.

A dealer telling me this is all 'normal' and 'acceptible' is what really turned me off. I understand vehicles are going to have a few issues, but to accuse me of not knowing what I'm doing or what I'm talking about is asinine.

I'm not now, but I was ASE certified which doesn't neccessarily make me a good mechanic, but I have a slightly better idea than your average customer.

I do have the means to afford a 'gaff' like this and my time is better wasted other useless places than the dealer. We did get the ML350 and not sure why someone mention the engine was sluggish?? It's got very good pick up but admittedly it ain't a V8. We'll see about the quality and reliability. At least I know the service will be a bit more respectful.

I am happy from some of the feedback that others have the same model with no issues as I don't want others to experience the same. I do hope however the Overland has a better stereo/navi system than mine did. THAT was one thing I was VERY unimpressed with from the moment I got in the car.

Oh well, I just needed to vent a little bit as in my mind, even if my problems didn't happen, the 2011 Grand Cherokee is not a driver's vehicle and not some brand new brand reinvention. It's just the new model equiped from the factory with SSDD.
Old 03-31-11, 06:29 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

I own a 93 Grand Cherokee and it's been one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever known. About six years ago, my mom severely overheated it and damaged the head gasket. The vehicle has 272,xxx miles on it, and has been driven hard throughout its life. It leaks and burns oil, runs roughly, and it's offroaded regularly. It still starts up every morning, no matter how cold it gets, and has NEVER left me stranded anywhere. The 4.0l I6 was and is nearly indestructible. I plan on fully restoring my jeep when I have the time and money.
Old 03-31-11, 08:09 PM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Originally Posted by LunaVyohr
I own a 93 Grand Cherokee and it's been one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever known. About six years ago, my mom severely overheated it and damaged the head gasket. The vehicle has 272,xxx miles on it, and has been driven hard throughout its life. It leaks and burns oil, runs roughly, and it's offroaded regularly. It still starts up every morning, no matter how cold it gets, and has NEVER left me stranded anywhere. The 4.0l I6 was and is nearly indestructible. I plan on fully restoring my jeep when I have the time and money.
I guess expectations come into play. I had a 1985 Toyota 4x4 truck with 480,000 miles on it that ran perfectly, burned NO oil, and only leaked from the front steering knuckles. The truck was beat silly and then some. I towed 15K lbs with it more than a few times. It didn't die, it was stolen.

The Jeep 4.0 is a proven engine. I had a 2000 Cherokee and really liked it but I'm 6'2 and 230lbs. It was a bit small. This is the Hemi V8 I had in this latest GC. Don't worry though all you Jeep loyalists, I'm still a Jeep owner I forgot to mention that...

Here is my BABY but not really the same. She's a 1969 with 46K original miles...

Quick Reply: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo X Hemi **JUNK**