Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2011 Jeep Compass

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-11, 09:45 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2011 Jeep Compass

Review: 2011 Jeep Compass

"Least Capable Jeep Still Lost In The Woods"

Let's be honest here: The Jeep Compass should have never been built – at least not in the form it took. A derivative of the compact Dodge Caliber, the Compass is neither a real Jeep nor an SUV, but a singular testament to how badly Daimler mismanaged the brand over its decade of ownership. And sales have proven this out. Although the Compass did well in the first year after its May 2006 launch, interest quickly cooled, and through the end of 2010, Chrysler had totaled only 111,000 Compass sales. The company managed to move fewer than 16,000 of them last year.

A "softroader," the Compass was meant to compete in the growing field of compact, front-wheel-drive crossovers often derided as "Cute Utes." The misguided, condescending and paternalistic attitude of the Germans running DaimlerChrysler at the time was that young women would flock to the Compass, while its mechanical twin, the Jeep Patriot, was designed for the boys. While the Patriot at least looked like a Jeep – the much-loved, discontinued Cherokee – the googly-eyed Compass was cartoonish, like a Jeep animated for the Powerpuff Girls.

Since its launch, the Compass has been called out for a host of shortcomings, starting with its cheap and noisy interior. While Chrysler revamped the instrument and door panels, along with adding some sound dampening in 2009, the 'ute has finally received a more thorough overhaul for the 2011 model year, with some additional upgrades including a new steering wheel, a new front fascia and grille with a revised hood to match, along with a new four-wheel-drive package that confers a "Trail Rated" label to this least illustrious Jeep.

Nobody can argue against these moves hugely improving the 2011 Compass, but after spending a week with the vehicle, we find that the changes have done little to move the needle against the competition – especially considering Chrysler continues to raise the model's price.

For 2011, the base Compass starts at $19,295, some $4,000 more than Jeep was asking at introduction. At the top of the range, the Compass Limited 4x4 has experienced a similar price creep and is now wearing a $25,995 sticker, up $860 from last year. Our test model, in mid-range "Latitude" trim with the new "Freedom Drive II" off-road package, carried a shocking $27,485 window sticker. That's more expensive than a similarly equipped Liberty – a real rock-crawling Jeep.

Even more galling than our Compass tester's sticker price, however, was its fuel economy panel. The normally reasonable highway mileage, which can even hit 29 mpg in front-drive configuration with a five-speed manual and the smaller 2.0-liter engine, drops to just 23 mpg in the "Trail Rated" Compass models. Chalk this up to a ride height that's been raised by an inch, some extra weight in the form of skid plates and tow hooks, and a different version of the Compass' continuously variable transmission that offers a "low range" for off-roading.

We will take Chrysler's word that this new kit gives the Compass capabilities for "moderate off-road situations that include steep grades, occasional wheel lift and rock or log climbing," as we didn't head off-pavement. Realistically, nobody is ever going to buy one of these for off-roading, just as you'll never see a Compass sporting an "It's a Jeep Thing – You Wouldn't Understand" bumper sticker. Belatedly offering an off-road version of the Compass might begin to address the model's underlying credibility problem, but it's not going to make anybody want to drive one.

We do imagine quite a few prospective buyers will be lured in by the model's new face, as it makes a world of difference in helping it look like a real Jeep – the aforementioned Grand Cherokee, in particular. And naturally, this is by design. For proof, check out the Compass "Bloodlines" marketing campaign below that directly associates the two. Chrysler did an excellent job of restyling the hood as well, and the combined result renders the Compass as an entirely new vehicle. While the rest of the exterior didn't see much change, the new, serious personality imparted by the front-end makeover helps even the strange and blind-spot-inducing D-pillar look more normal.

Unfortunately, for as well as the new styling works, Chrysler hasn't throw an equivalent number of mechanical upgrades into the mix. The Compass does have some revised suspension bits designed to improve its road manners – and it rides and handles about as well as any other compact crossover – but this was never the biggest problem with the Compass. Its noisy and underperforming powertrain was – and still is – the deal-breaker.

Four-wheel-drive Compass models are only available with a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine making 172 horsepower and 165 pound-feet of torque. In our Compass, this was paired with the disappointing continuously variable transmission, which had us wishing for the standard-equipment manual gearbox. Jeep also offers a 2.0-liter four-cylinder on front-drive models, but with only 158 hp and 141 lb-ft of torque, it promises to feel at least as underpowered as the larger engine. While getting the Compass moving is not the problem – its throttle response and initial acceleration is decent enough – once you hit highway speeds (greater than 45 mph), the vehicle is painfully slow to respond. Even when the CVT pegs the tachometer, you'll experience more volume than motion.

Despite the lack of refinement under its hood, the Compass could still be an endearing choice when shopped against other compact crossovers – until you crunch the numbers on size. This area is paramount among shoppers in the segment, most of which are looking for that magical combination of roominess, cargo capacity, big mpg numbers and low MSRP. Among the price-competitive set – which includes the Honda CR-V, Hyundai Tucson, Nissan Rogue, Toyota RAV4, and Subaru Forester – the Compass is just too small to make up for its shortcomings. Save for rear legroom, the Compass trails in the important measurements of roominess, and its rear cargo capacity is the lowest by a healthy three cubic feet. The class of this class – the CR-V and Subaru Forester – offer over 10 cubic feet more cargo capacity behind their rear seats.

If the new, refreshed Compass were priced more realistically – which will no doubt happen when Chrysler starts putting big cash on the hood – it might make sense as a cheaper, less enticing alternative to its bigger and better competitors. This was part of Chrysler's game plan back when the $15,000 Compass debuted. But as much as that tactic to help move some more metal might again work, there's another idea that seems even better. It has been reported that the Compass is scheduled to be replaced by a new model born from a Fiat platform as early as next year. That's likely the Compass' most promising direction yet.

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2011-...eview/#4008720

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/29/2...iew-road-test/
Old 03-29-11, 09:53 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Exterior styling is still dopey. They need to dump the squared off wheel wells and straighten out the backward D-pillar. Both would be great improvements.
Old 03-29-11, 11:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

hmph, what Fiat platform? Not exactly known for good sales of anything but small cars.
Old 03-30-11, 12:13 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still a P.O.S. Its a POS with some botox and some lipstick but still a pos lol.
Old 03-30-11, 09:22 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typical unrefined 4 banger paired with a crappy CVT transmission, resulting in miserable driving experience. As they said "move volume than motion" and I know the "volume" is the horrible sound of non-premium machinery, possibly my coffee grinder sounds better.
Old 03-30-11, 09:25 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

POS.....
Old 03-30-11, 12:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bad co
Still a P.O.S. Its a POS with some botox and some lipstick but still a pos lol.
Originally Posted by Joeb427
POS.....
Originally Posted by IS-SV
Typical unrefined 4 banger paired with a crappy CVT transmission, resulting in miserable driving experience. As they said "move volume than motion" and I know the "volume" is the horrible sound of non-premium machinery, possibly my coffee grinder sounds better.
I reviewed the old Compass several years ago. Yes, I agree that it, along with its Dodge Caliber cousin, whose platform and drivetrain it was derived from, were two of the most poorly-done vehicles in the American market. Fit/finish, interior trim, driving refinement, and overall build-quality....all were sub-par. And, on top of that, the Compass wasn't anywhere near a true Jeep (nor was it intended to be, according to Jeep marketers). It was a redone FWD compact economy-car with a Jeep-grille and hatch-lid, designed primarily as a grocery-getter for paved roads.....and little else.

But, that was then, and this is now. Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep have made some astounding improvements, in several areas, in their latest 2011 redesigns. Let's see if the Compass and Caliber follow suit...I'm not going to pan them without a review and test-drive.
Old 03-30-11, 02:13 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Note: This is now (not then).

I see a 2011 Compass review above in post #1 (they actually drove the thing for a week), that's all I need to know about the Compass. Key points in the review being the crappy carryover 4 bangers combined with CVT, despite the other improvements, overall inadequate.

btw - Thanks to Hoovey for posting the review.

Last edited by IS-SV; 03-30-11 at 02:32 PM. Reason: thanks
Old 03-30-11, 04:28 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It appears that Chrysler has made great strides with many of their vehicles, but I don't know if the improvements are enough to win buyers and whether the reliability has improved.
Old 03-30-11, 06:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Note: This is now (not then).
Yes, I keep my watch-battery changed, and my clocks set.

Note: Tomorrow, this will be yesterday.

I see a 2011 Compass review above in post #1 (they actually drove the thing for a week),

that's all I need to know about the Compass.

btw - Thanks to Hoovey for posting the review.
Good.

I didn't need even that much. Two minutes with the old Compass, before I even started it up, was enough to convince me it was a sub-par vehicle. Driving it, whether it was for 30 minutes or a week, only reinforced that impression.

I agree, though...thanks, Hoovey. More opinions on a vehicle never hurt.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-30-11 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-30-11, 08:49 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting review, I finally learned what the difference between the Compass and Patriot

Chrysler has been doing well lately, they might as well stick a lifetime warranty on these things and price them at 15k

But it is nice to see how they are restructuring
Old 03-30-11, 09:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
interesting review, I finally learned what the difference between the Compass and Patriot
Even with its more-traditional square, Jeep-like body and styling, the Patriot, having been derived from more or less the same platform as the Compass, offers a Non-Trail-Rated version with FWD...essentially a Compass with a Jeep body.

But, unlike the Compass, Jeep engineers managed to do a more-robust, Trail-Rated version of the Patriot's frame/chassis/drivetrain that allows it to go off-pavement and act somewhat more like a real Jeep....though not quite to the extent of the Wrangler and the larger Jeep models.
Old 03-30-11, 09:27 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, I keep my watch-battery changed, and my clocks set.

Note: Tomorrow, this will be yesterday.

I didn't need even that much. Two minutes with the old Compass, before I even started it up, was enough to convince me it was a sub-par vehicle. Driving it, whether it was for 30 minutes or a week, only reinforced that impression.

Good to hear (regarding then and now with tomorrow too).

Glad you came to same conclusion as review posted here (I see you are panning it now instead of waiting as mentioned earlier).
Old 03-30-11, 09:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Glad you came to same conclusion as review posted here (I see you are panning it now instead of waiting as mentioned earlier).
I'm not necesarily panning the new 2011 Compass. I don't usually pan vehicles before a formal review and test-drive, though I will sometimes comment on their styling or design if I think it is good or bad-looking or if I like or don't like the specs that are offered.

My negative comments about the Compass were for the old model, which I thought was one of the most poorly-done vehicles in the American market. I wasn't terribly-impressed with the old Compass' brother Patriot either, though the Patriot was more traditional in Jeep-appearance (and, IMO, somewhat better-looking).

Chrysler, though, has sharply upgraded the 2011 Compass (and, presumably, will do the same for the Patriot either this year or next). I'll comment more on them when I've had a chance to check them out more.

The Compass and Non-Trail-Rated Patriot (the Patriot also offers a Trail-rated, more robust version) were never meant to be true Jeeps. Jeep marketers decided that they needed to expand beyond the traditional off-road/adventure image and offer something less-robust for suburban mall-shoppers and soccer-moms (never mind that a lot of suburban soccer-moms were already driving Grand Cherokees). The results (Compass and Patriot), based on a FWD compact-car (Dodge Caliber) platform, were, IMO, for many reasons, a mistake.
Old 03-30-11, 09:57 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

^ I see. Please note the review in post #1 is of the latest (2011) Compass based on 1 week of driving.

Quick Reply: Review: 2011 Jeep Compass