Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Oil forum post on shortage of Toyota 0w20 oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-11, 02:52 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Oil forum post on shortage of Toyota 0w20 oil

Toyota Motor Sales USA warned dealers Tuesday that supplies of some replacement parts are being rationed. Canadian dealers had not received a memo on that subject, but were told to restrict the use of Toyota Genuine Motor Oil 0W20 to select vehicles.

“There is a risk we may experience a short supply of Toyota Genuine Motor Oil in the coming months until mid-August,” Toyota said in a memo to Canadian dealers.

That’s because it contains an exclusive additive made by Adeka Corp. of Japan, whose facilities were damaged by the earthquake and tsunami.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...63&nt=2&page=1

I have about 30 qt on hand.

Last edited by Joeb427; 03-29-11 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-29-11, 03:05 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Here's the additive-moly.
Toyota and Honda 0w20 have over 800 ppm of moly in their 0w20.
Mobil 1 0w20 200 ppm.

http://www.adk.co.jp/en/chemical/pickup/pickup01.html

ADEKA additives reduce friction and wear

The ADEKA SAKURA-LUBE series of lubricants was originally developed by ADEKA Corporation using organic molybdenum compounds. By adding ADEKA SAKURA-LUBE the friction coefficient of engine oil is significantly reduced. It also contains anti-wear and anti-oxidation properties. Closer attention has been placed on friction reducing properties that reduce energy loss and minimize CO2 emissions. Because of its ability to improve fuel efficiency, ADEKA SAKURA-LUBE is used as a friction modifier in a wide range of engine oils and grease, especially in the automotive industry. The graph below illustrates ADEKA SAKURA-LUBE's effect on engine oil. ADEKA proudly claims that this additive significantly improves fuel consumption.
Old 03-29-11, 04:05 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Here's the additive-moly.
Toyota and Honda 0w20 have over 800 ppm of moly in their 0w20.
Mobil 1 0w20 200 ppm.
That is very interesting. How about advanced synthetic Castro Edge in the gold bottle, does Castrol Edge have more than Mobil 1?
Old 03-29-11, 05:28 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trexus
That is very interesting. How about advanced synthetic Castro Edge in the gold bottle, does Castrol Edge have more than Mobil 1?
I don't know but I like using the Toyota 0w20.
Great question to post on the bobistheoilguy.com forum.
Old 03-29-11, 05:44 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
Although moly is a nice thing to have, it's just one of the very few things that makes up the motor oil. Even if the Castrol has less moly count, it doesn't make it inferior to Mobil.
Old 03-29-11, 05:50 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
Although moly is a nice thing to have, it's just one of the very few things that makes up the motor oil. Even if the Castrol has less moly count, it doesn't make it inferior to Mobil.
True.
I like Toyota 0w20 because I've read very good oil analysis reports that are posted on that forum and people who know their stuff on oils say it has a very good additive package.Cost isn't bad too.
I'm a former Amsoil user.
Old 03-29-11, 06:05 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Noo, more problem, I just brought a new highlander which requires 0w20 oil ... Could we use other alternative oil? like 5w20?
Old 03-29-11, 06:22 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by horent135
Noo, more problem, I just brought a new highlander which requires 0w20 oil ... Could we use other alternative oil? like 5w20?
I prefer Toyota 0w20 but there's plenty of 0w20 oil brands available that are good.Doesn't have to be Toyota 0w20.Walmart has a lot.
Old 03-29-11, 06:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Even if it was manufacturer-recommended, I'm not sure I'd use a 0W20 weight, especially in the summer, unless it was a synthetic. I understand the ratinonale behind low-viscosity oils (today's tight engine clearances and the need to get oil flowing quickly on a cold start), but regular petroleum oil that thin probably wouldn't give enough protection in hot weather....or maybe, in some cases, even at normal oil temperature betwen 200 and 300 degrees (oil usually runs somewhat hotter then the anti-freeze coolant). Many of the newer cars I've seen, even though built in the last five years or so, recommend at least 5W20 or 5W30. Synthetics, of course, are much more resistant to extreme temperatures then petro oil, and, of course, can be used everywhere from tropical deserts to the polar regions.
Old 03-29-11, 06:37 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Even if it was manufacturer-recommended, I'm not sure I'd use a 0W20 weight, especially in the summer, unless it was a synthetic. I understand the ratinonale behind low-viscosity oils (today's tight engine clearances and the need to get oil flowing quickly on a cold start), but regular petroleum oil that thin probably wouldn't give enough protection in hot weather....or maybe, in some cases, even at normal oil temperature betwen 200 and 300 degrees (oil usually runs somewhat hotter then the anti-freeze coolant). Many of the newer cars I've seen, even though built in the last five years or so, recommend at least 5W20 or 5W30. Synthetics, of course, are much more resistant to extreme temperatures then petro oil, and, of course, can be used everywhere from tropical deserts to the polar regions.
0w20 weight is usually a synthetic,Mike.
There are a couple of dino 0w20 oils,though.
Old 03-29-11, 06:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
0w20 weight is usually a synthetic,Mike.
There are a couple of dino 0w20 oils,though.
That's why I said, above, that I probably wouldn't use dino oil that thin, even if it was widely available......it would not adquately protect in hot weather. Apparantly, most oil-producers agree.

I have a lot of respect, BTW, for the Castrol blends....synthetic, semi-synthetic, or dino. And I've noticed that a lot of professional racing-teams (not all, by any means) use one of three oil-brands......Castrol, Valvoline, or Penzoil. Texaco's (now part of Chevron) Havoline used to be popular on the track, but not so much anymore.

Few, if any, automakers, BTW, actually produce their own-brand motor oil...it's almost always done by a contractor. The so-called "Toyota" oil in the OP, for example, uses supplier-produced additives.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-29-11 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-29-11, 07:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think the durable motors in these toyotas and Lexus vehicles could handle 2 or 3 oil changes with mobil 1 instead of the genuine Toyota oil. No big deal
Old 03-29-11, 07:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Don't let the temporary shortage of Toyota-brand oil scare you. I'm sure most of you know this, but, for those who don't, one is not required to use factory-brand oil (including Toyota oil) to maintain the vehicle-warranty. Legally, you can use any oil that meets the manufacturer's standards or recommendations. Look on the container for the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) seal, the oil-class (SF, SG, SH, SM, etc.....) and, of course, the proper viscosity-grade. On most containers like this, there will be a note saying that it meets factory requirements....but don't necessarily take the note for granted. Carefully look at what you're buying, and make sure the numbers and logo agree with the factory-recommendations.

And, with any oil, the single most important rule, after making sure it is OK to use in your car, is to KEEP IT CHANGED. I myself don't trust the oil-sensors used in some upmarket vehicles these days (a defective sensor can ruin the engine). BMW, for one, has had to replace some expensive motors under warranty because the sensors allowed the oil to go too long.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-29-11 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-30-11, 04:26 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's why I said, above, that I probably wouldn't use dino oil that thin, even if it was widely available......it would not adquately protect in hot weather. Apparantly, most oil-producers agree.

I have a lot of respect, BTW, for the Castrol blends....synthetic, semi-synthetic, or dino. And I've noticed that a lot of professional racing-teams (not all, by any means) use one of three oil-brands......Castrol, Valvoline, or Penzoil. Texaco's (now part of Chevron) Havoline used to be popular on the track, but not so much anymore.

Few, if any, automakers, BTW, actually produce their own-brand motor oil...it's almost always done by a contractor. The so-called "Toyota" oil in the OP, for example, uses supplier-produced additives.
Toyota 0w20 is formulated for Toyota by Exxon-Mobil and has a more robust additive package than Mobil 1 0w20 oil.
Old 03-30-11, 07:41 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Eneos (Nippon Oil) offers a 0w-20. Eneos is also an oil supplier for Toyota. I use Eneos 5w30 in my 09 IS F:

http://www.eneos.us/product/1

ENEOS 0W-20
GF- 5 OVERVIEW
The new ILSAC GF-5 specification is an improvement in engine oil performance compared to the current GF-4 specification. The new ENEOS GF-5 oil provides better fuel economy, increased emission system durability, enhanced piston cleanliness, reduced engine sludge, and improved turbocharger protection.

0W-20 Comparison with other leading brands of 0W-20: Comparison Data

SPECIAL FEATURES
Low Viscosity (0W-20)
ENEOS Motor Oil 0W20 is blended from high-performance hydrorefined base oils and an optimized additive blend, so it provides much better heat and oxidation stability than regular motor oils blended from solvent-refined base oils. Thanks to its innovative formulation, ENEOS Motor Oil 0W20 achieves a low viscosity of 0W-20, so it enables excellent fuel economy and environmental protection.
Ultralow Fuel Economy to Protect the Environment
In addition to its high-performance hydrorefined base oils and various additives, ENEOS Motor Oil 0W20 is also blended with organic molybdenum friction reducers. As a result, the oil minimizes friction and enables superb fuel economy.
Meets Latest API Standards
The high-performance ENEOS Motor Oil 0W20 has been certified as meeting the latest API SN standard established by the American Petroleum Institute.
APPLICATION
Motor oil for gasoline engines.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
Automobiles for which 0W-20 oils are recommended.

Caution: The use of this oil in automobiles designed for high-viscosity oils can result in inadequate oil circulation, oil leaks, and other problems.

CONTAINERS
1 US QT and 1 US Gallon

Quick Reply: Oil forum post on shortage of Toyota 0w20 oil