Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2011 Lexus CT200h

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-11, 05:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MM Review: 2011 Lexus CT200h

By CL-member request, a review of the 2011 Lexus CT200h.

http://www.lexus.com/models/CTh/

IN A NUTSHELL: A generally well-built small hybrid-hatchback, but with several limtations, and the marketing may (?) be wrong.

(Light Interior)

Toyota/Lexus has perfected the modern gas-electric hybrid perhaps more than any other manufacturer. The first American-market Prius was introduced in the D.C. area in August 2000, and though it trailed the original Honda Insight in January 2000 by some 8-9 months (I had the priviledge of test-driving one of the first of both cars in the D.C. area), the Prius clearly brought the gas-electric hybrid into the automotive mainstream more than the smaller, less-versatile Insight ever could. The Prius went on, over the years, to became the darling of the eco/environmental crowd, college professors, and much of the liberal Hollywood/entertainer establishmant...a true cult-car. Toyota, Lexus, and Honda went on to market a number of gas-electric hybrids.....and some other manufacturers have followed. I won't go into them all here, as that is not the purpose of this review.

However, primarily because of the recent unrest and violence in several Middle-Eastern countries, the overthrow of the Mubarak regime in Egypt, and the uncertain future of the Gadaffi regime in Libya, oil-price speculators have bid up the world price of crude-oil (and gas-prices at the pumps) to levels not seen since the summer of 2008. So, it is not surprising that hybrids, among other alternate-fuel vehicles (diesels, plug-in electrics, E85 ethanol, etc.....) are currently quite popular (premium gas reached over $4 in my neighborhood just a couple of days ago). While I'm not going to go into the politics of the current high oil-prices too much (that, again, is not the purpose of the review), I think it is worth pointing out that, despite the unrest in the Middle East and its uncertain future, there is still no REAL gas shortage (estimates are a 1-2% disruption in world-supply at most), so the bid-up in oil prices seems to be purely speculative and/or panic-based, based on the simple ANTICIPATION of a shortage, not a real one as yet.

OK...we'll leave the rest of that issue for the pundits. Lets's get back to hybrids. As aforementioned, Toyota and Lexus have an impressive history of marketing and selling hybrids in the U.S., and the CT200 is simply the latest of a long line. It follows the U.S. introduction of the slightly larger, 4-cylinder hybrid HS250h sedan, which is based on the Toyota Avensis, a sedan not sold in the U.S. The HS, though, was never offered as a hatchback/wagon, and that void is (perhaps) now filled by the all-new CT, though the CT is a noticeably smaller car than the HS.

Two models of the CT200h are offered in the American market; a base model at $29,120, and a Premium at $30,900....the lowest prices for any Lexus model offered in the U.S. NAV packages, and a few other options, are offered separately. Both lines come with a CVT (Continuously-Variable-Transmission) and the 1.8L four/electric motor combinaton. The Lexus shop I was at had three in stock today...a beautiful Matador Red base model (the Matador Red is a remarkable color), a Mustard-colored (Daybreak Yellow) Premium model in the showroom, and an Obsidian (Black) Premium model as a demo, out on the ramp. I wanted to test-drive the red base model, but, as I was looking it over, a salesman came out with a middle-aged couple who was interested in it, so, that was that.....I took the black one out on the road instead. In fact, I don't know how long the black one lasted after I left....the CT, because of high gas prices, is currently in high demand and short supply.

This was not the worst modern car (or the worst hybrid) I have driven by any means, but, to be honest, by Lexus standards, I was not terribly impressed with it. While I'll save the details for later in the review, I wonder if the marketers might not have been smarter to sell this car as a Toyota instead of a Lexus.....as you will see below.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2011 Lexus CT200h Premium

BASE PRICE: $30,900

OPTIONS:

Premium Audio System: $1100
Navigation System: $2445
Remote Engine Start: $375
Cargo Tray: $90
Cargo Spider Net: $49
Cargo Net/Cargo Mat/Wheel Locks/Rear-Bumper Applique (the applique is just a simple Lexus decal): $313

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $875 (more than average for a car of this size)

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $36,147

DRIVETRAIN: FWD, Transversely-mounted 1.8L Atkinson-Cycle in-line 4, High-Output Permanant-Magnet EV-mode Electric-Drive motor, 134 total system HP (Lexus does not publish torque or RPM-power figures for the CT), Continuously-Variable-Transmission (CVT).

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 43 City / 40 Highway / 42 Combined

EXTERIOR COLOR: Obsidian (Black)

INTERIOR: Black NuLuxe

PLUSSES (+):

Excellent gas mileage.....but not than much better than some non-hybrids.

Lowest base price of any American-market Lexus model.

Very quick steering response.

Relatively flat cornering, without body lean.

Effective regenerative-braking.

Solidly-attached exterior trim.

Mirror-mounted turn-signal indicators.

Superb outside-mirror housings.

First-Aid-Kit in the trunk.

(Optional) Subaru-style rubber trunk-cover mat.

OK front headroom for six-footers.

Solid-feeling, well-marked interior buttons.

Solid-closing doors and hatch.

Typical superb Lexus paint job.

Seven exterior colors offered.....four, (IMO), are nice.

Excellent NuLuxe seat-upholstery is very leather-like.

Two interior leather/three NuLuxe colors available.

Three different (dealer-accessory) dash-panel trims available

Will (likely) have better-than-average reliabilty.

Long 6/70 and 4/50 Lexus warranties.

MINUSES (-):

Ride quality and noise isolation not up to that of most other Lexus models.

215/45-17 low-profile tires oriented more towards sport than hybrid-fuel economy.

very low ground clearance for obstacles/bumps.

Somewhat low-slung stance hampers entry/exit for some people.

No exterior body-side mouldings for parking-lot protection.

Tacky-looking (IMO) blue/chrome "HYBRID" badge on lower-rear doors.

Somewhat flat-sounding stereo sound for a Lexus.

Awkward foot-operated parking-brake.

Tight underhood layout.

Manual Hood prop-rod instead of struts.

Somewhat thin body sheet metal (in spite of the solid-closing doors).

Smallish cargo area in spite of the conservative roofline.

Temporary spare tire.

Tight rear headroom and legroom for many adults.

Awkward dash-**** shifter for CVT transmission.

Awkward (IMO) mouse-control for NAV screen.

Limited-range adjustment for the steering column.

Front-Seat lower-bolsters marginal for wide torsos.

Wide center-console hampers front leg-room.

Relatively poor rear vision from protruding rear headrests.

Too-small rear window.

Miniscule rear-wiper.

Overly-wide C-Pillars hamper more rear-vision.

EXTERIOR:

As you first walk up to the CT200, its general body-shape is like that of a number of other small, Japanese-designed hatchbacks, particularly the current Mazda3, though it also bears a strking resemblance to my brother's old 1995 Honda Civic CX Hatchback. The front-end has a more-or-less typical Lexus-sedan grille/headlights, so it's not hard to tell as a member of the Lexus family there. The small size, though, is what impresses on you the most....Lexus has not, until now, sold a vehicle this small in the American market. That small size, despite the rather conservative, squarish roofline, does cut into some interior and cargo space......more on that below. The wide, concave-shaped C-Pillars hamper some of the rear-vision....also more on that below. So does the overly small (for a hatchback) rear-window and its miniscule, barely-6-inch wiper-blade, which looks like something off a toy car. The sheet metal on the fenders and doors is not the thinnest-feeling I've seen, but seems rather flimsy by Lexus standards. However, the doors and hatch-lid, despite the somewhat less-than-tank-grade sheet metal, still close with a firm, solid "thunk".....a quality sound. There are no standard body-side moldings to help ward off parking-lot dings, and none I saw listed as accessories (for me, that would mean a trip to Advance Auto parts to get a stick-on aftermarket molding). The paint job, as usual for a Lexus product, is superb. Seven exterior paint colors are offered...I liked the Matador Red Mica, which is arguably the most impressive Lexus paint-job in the whoile vehicle line-up (it will knock your socks off), the Daybreak Yellow Mica, which is not a bright Yellow but a mustard-yellow color, the always-classy White Pearl, and the increasingly popular Fire Agate Pearl, which is a rich, dark, chocolate-brown color. The ground clearance under the lower-body parts is quite low, which means being careful on speed-bumps/humps, ramps, and around road debris. The low-stance also hampers entry/exit a little for tall persons, though is is not as difficult to get in and out of as, say an extremely low-slung Miata or Corvette. A nice touch is the mirror-mounted turn-signal indicators, and the mirror-housings themselves are very well-done....shaped properly for good rear-vision, made of reasonably solid plastic, and buttery-smooth in their snap/swivel/lock operation. Most of the exterior trim is well-done and well-attached, except for the blue-and-chrome "Hybrid" badges on the lower-rear doors, which were still well-attached, but which, I though, looked tacky. The small, white Lexus decal on the upper-surface of the rear bumper (part of a cargo-area option) also, IMO, looked tacky. The blue-and-chrome "L" Lexus logos on the grille and deck-lid, though, looked nice, just as they do on other Lexus hybrid models. I was somewhat surprised by the 17" 215/45, sport-oriented, low-profile tires, which seemed a little out of place on a small hybrid designed for economy, and they noticeably stiffened up the ride.....more on that below.

UNDERHOOD:

Open up the somewhat lightweight-feeling, not very solid hood, and you are greeted with (yes, on a Lexus product here) a cheap manual prop-rod to hold it up instead of nice gas struts....although, to be fair, my old Lexus IS300 also had a prop-rod. The hood, however, does have a nice insulation-pad on the underside, helping to quiet the gas engine down a little. As to be expected with a small underhood space and a complex dual-engine hybrid drivetrain, things are rather tightly-fitted-in under the hood. The 1.8L Atkinson-cycle gas in-line four and permanent-magnet electric-drive motor fit in transversely, with the CVT transmission over on the right. A big plastic engine cover hides most of the top-components on the gas engine (the electric motor needs little or no maintenance), and there is little space to reach things down the sides of the block. Complex, hybrid and ABS-related computer hardware, plumbng, and wiring take up much of the rest of the space underhood, although the dipsticks, filler-caps, and reservoirs for the gas engine are generally accessable OK. Lexus, with some of its hybrids, has a peculiar habit of not listing, either on-line or on the offical web-site, the HP/torque RPM peaks, or the separate HP/torque figures for each engine like other hybrid manufacturers do, only stating this system as "134 Total HP".....so that's what I will list. Years ago, I remember, Rolls-Royce, no matter how big or small the engine, used to oficially list the power simply as
"adequate".

INTERIOR:

The small interior was generally well-done and well-finished, and used, from what I could tell, far better materials inside than its cheaper Toyota Prius cousin. Its dash was also a lot easier to deal with than the geeky designs that the Prius has used over the years. That doesn't mean that all of the controls, though, were, IMO, well-designed. I didn't care for the chrome CVT-transmisson-shift stub that jutted out of the dash. Nor did I care for the mouse-controller on the console that controls the NAV-system (a $2445 option). All of the buttons and controls, though, felt solid, well-attached, and were well-marked. The steering wheel was well-shaped, and the leather wrapping comfortable to hold. The NuLuxe seat upholstery, IMO, made the real-leather option unnecessary...it looked and felt far more like real leather than the less-pleasant MB-Tex and similiar synthetic materials the German manufacturers use in their interiors. The NuLuxe is available in three colors, with the real leather in two. The standard dash/door-panel trim is silver brushed-metal, but Brown-Ash wood, Striped-Bamboo, and Striped-Graphite Metallic trim are available as factory-approved, dealer-installed accessories. Unfortunately, the Lexus dealer I was at today did not have any of the kits available.....they are still on order.

This is not a very comfortable interior, though, for larger-sized persons like me. It is just too small, especially by Lexus standards. Front headroom is OK, under the sunroof housing, if the seat-cushions are adjusted way down, but the rear-seat, even with the rather conservative square-back roofline, is best left for kids and maybe some small adults. (I forgot to check the sun-visor and head-lining material, but it is usually pretty nice in most Lexus products, without hard-feeling materials). The NuLuxe seat-material, as I described above, was a really nice substitute for leather, but the front seats themselves had cushion-bolsters that were just marginal for big torsos and rumps like mine...they pressed somewhat into the edges. The wide center console, with its numerous controls, was quite restrictive of my right leg when I was sitting in the drivers' seat. The stereo sound, by Lexus standards, was a long way from the fabulous Mark Levinson unit in the LS460, and, to my ears, sounded a little flat (when you listen to KISS, AC/DC,and Heavy Metal, it's nice to have the best). The stereo controls, typical of NAV units, were split between mechanical buttons/controls and the NAV screen....the climate-control buttons were mostly mechanical, but had a nice feel/solidness. The steering column was manually-adjustable for ilt/telescope, but had a rather limited range of adjustment. Non-NAV models (which I would probably choose for myself) had a small, useful, cubby-compartment in the center-console instead of the mouse-control. With the front seats adjusted rearward, the rear-seats would not fold down (or back up again) for added cargo space without taking off the headrests.....the headrests jammed against the back of tghe front seats. The headrests, with the rear seats up, also tended to block the edges of the rear-vision.....as did the big, wide C-pillars and small rear window, despite the high, conservative rear roof-line.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Open the hatchback lid with a touch-sensitive pad under the hatch-lid (if the battery is low or not grounded properly, the pad may not work, as we found out with the mustard-yellow CT200 sitting in the showroom), and the lid flips up to reveal a rather small but generally well-shaped and well-finished cargo area. A decent grade of black carpeting covers the trunk floor. A built-in light makes it easier to see things in the dark. The total cargo space, though generally well-shaped because of the squarish roofline, is still on the small side....partially because of the hybrid-battery-pack location behind the rear seats, under the floor. The split-rear seats, of course, fold down to increase cargo space. My test car had the optional ($90) Subaru-type custom-fitted rubber cargo-bed cover for carpet protection, a $49 cargo-spider-net (don't ask me how Lexus came up with that term), and a seemingly redundant Cargo Net/Cargo Mat/Wheel-locks package (as listed on the price-sticker) that looked to me like Lexus might (?) might be charging for the same options two or three different times. A removable pull-shade cover hides cargo-area items from prying eyes. Also under the floor is a split-compartment.....one part for the standard (and traditional) Lexus First-Aid Kit, and the other for the Owners' Manual (which, of course, if desired, can also be kept in the glove-box). Under the split-compartment is (yep, you guessed it) a temporary spare tire and the jacking tools. The last Lexus I owned (a 2001 IS300) had a real spare tire/alloy wheel, not a cheap temporary one.

ON THE ROAD:

Start things up (as with most hybrids) with the engine POWER button, foot on the brake, and the electronic fob in the vicinity. The electrical system takes several seconds to respond, then the dash lights up, and you are greeted with..... more silence. Place the awkward-shifting (IMO) CVT dash-lever in R or D, and in the battery-charge state of my test-car (almost a full-charge), the car rolls quietly away, like a golf-cart, on the battery alone. The gas engine cuts in after a brief interval (you can hear it, but it is very quiet). There is a console-mounted **** marked ECO or SPORT...ECO highlights the hybrid-related battery-charge dash-gauges, while SPORT brings up a tachometer for the gas-engine (you can't watch the engine-RPM in ECO, as the tach disappears). The rest of the gauges, including the speedometer, are generally clear and easy-to-read, but are mostly electronic-analog.

The drivetrain, upon staring up from rest, didn't seem to be quite as smooth as that of the less-expensive Toyota Prius, or of other Lexus hybrids I've sampled. In my test-car at least, like the small Honda IMA hybrids with similiar CVTs, you could feel a slight shuddering just as the CVT first engages on start-up....then it disappears after a second or so, and the system is then butter-smooth. The gas engine is almost as quiet as the electrics......you certainly aren't going to wake the neighborhood up at 3 AM like you would with , say, a Mustang GT. You can barely hear it running with the quiet exhaust.......which, of course, is verified if you look at the tach in the SPORT mode. Like most parallel-type hybrids, the CT gets better mileage in the city where the gas engine runs less, but its 40 MPG highway mileage is now equalled by some conventional non-hybrid (and considerably less-expensive) cars like the Ford Fiesta and Hyundai Elantra. The CVT transmission is shifted solely with the lever.....there are no column-shift paddles or imitation-spaced CGT "gears" like with the Subaru and Nissan CVTs. This car, as you would expect, is no powerhouse.....as I stated earlier, Lexus rates it at only 134 HP with the gas and electric-motors combined, and the rather leisurely acceleration (Lexus quotes 9.8 seconds from 0-60), though IMO not unacceptable or unsafe, means that you will need to give yourself some room merging with faster-moving traffic.

The steering and chassis is definitely not what you would expect with a small hybrid, especially after driving something like a Prius or Insight. The 3rd-generaton Prius is definitely sharper-handling than the second-generation model, but still not like the CT200. The CT (as I described above) uses 17", 215-45 low-profile tires, which raise the tires's rolling resistance (thence, only 40-43 MPG compared to the Prius's 51 Highway), but add a lot of traction and steering response. The response is almost sports-car quick, even with the car's front-end (FWD) weight-bias. But that, as expected, also stiffens up the ride....the CT, though not harsh, was quite noticeable over bumps, and it was afflicted with the almost constant bobbing, up/down porpoise-like motions that characterize some SUVs. This car, IMO, does not need handling this sharp (cornering is almost flat, with very little body lean), and the Lexus engineers would, IMO, be wise to loosen up a little on the spring/shock rates and use a little-higher-profile rubber next year.....say, a 50 or 55-series instead of 45. Road-noise, from the sport-oriented tires, was not obtrusive, but was a little more than you would expect from a Lexus product......same with wind noise.

I was very pleased with the brakes. The CT, like many hybrids, uses a regenerative-braking system that uses the drag and reverse-energy in the electric motor to not only help slow the car down, but to help recharge the battery-pack during the braking-mode. You could feel the added drag as the car slows, and the lessened-need to use the brake pedal itself. The flip side, of course, is that because of the added-drag from the regenerative braking, there is less of a braking feel in the pedal itself, and you can't actually feel the amount of braking as much with your foot....the senses come in your brain, instead, as the car slows down. The brake pedal seems to be located OK for big feet....I don't remember having any problems with my clown-size 15 shoes hanging up on the brake pedal going from gas to brake....but then, I didn't use the pedal as much either as I do in a conventional car.

THE VERDICT:

Well, folks, I know that, despite the general auto-talk nature of CAR CHAT, CL this is generally a Lexus forum, and I don't like to necessarily pan a Lexus product on its home-turf, but I have to be honest in my auto reviews. Given the design, size, and limitations of this car, I'm just not convinced that it should have been marketed as a Lexus product. It's not a bad car per se, and, of course, it is well-built, and should turn out to have better-than-average reliablity. True, it has the long Lexus 6/70 and 4/50 warranty and the well-known high level of Lexus customer service. But, to me, its ride, interior room, start-up drivetrain refinement, noise level, trim, stereo sound, and, of course, small overall size suggest to me that it would have been better-marketed as a Toyota instead of a Lexus. And, to cap it off, I'm not convinced that the car I drove was really worth its 36K price sticker, either, though base models without options can be had for around 31K out the door.....still, IMO, a rather stiff price for a car like this. And, with gas prices being what they are today, and the fact that small hybrids are current in high demand, don't look for any bargain-basement deals from the salespeople, either. This car is likely to sell for list price, close to it, or maybe even a mark-up.

True, competing luxury-car companies have sometimes offered small 4-cylinder models like the Acura TSX/RSX, Infiniti G20, Mercedes C230 hatchback, BMW 318, Audi A3, etc...., but almost none of those cars were as small or as cramped inside as the CT200. In fact, I think that Lexus did a better overall job on its 4-cylinder HS than on the CT, and should, IMO, have simply considered a hatchback/wagon version of the HS before bringing out the all-new CT. But, of course, if you are not a large or portly adult and can fit in the small space, want a well-built small hybrid-hatchback with great gas mileage, want relability and a high level of customer service, and don't mind spending cash in the low-mid 30s for a car like this, then the CT might be just the car for you.

And, as always, Happy Car-Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-14-11 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-14-11, 05:34 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

nice AND QUICK Mike!!!

as a read thru I will ad more to my list...

1. 215/45-17 tires are on my Prius and I'm still averaging 58.5mpg over 6000+ miles (mpg dropped in cold wx)
2. body-side moldings are 99% gone on new model cars.
3. I understand about the hood prop rods...I mean how much more are struts? but NOT an issue to me.
4. temp spare is much better than run flats (for ride quality)
5. foot operated park brake is not exactly sporty (same in my prius), shoulda been hand op'd on the center console.
6. consider the CT an entry level Lexus....that also gets great mpg.

overall great job MM

Last edited by bagwell; 03-14-11 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-14-11, 05:35 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the review MM.
so from what i can tell it has the funky prius shifter and a specific park button?
Old 03-14-11, 05:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
nice AND QUICK Mike!!!
Thanks.

I'm retired....so I often have the time for it.

1. 215/45-17 tires are on my Prius and I'm still averaging 58.5mpg over 6000+ miles.
Interesting. I test-drove a new 3Gen Prius with that wheel/tire combo, and its handling, while notceably sharper than the old Roly-Poly, still wasn't as sharp as the CT's. As for economy, the Prius certainly has one of the world's best and most efficient gas-electric hybrid systems....there's no queston about that. You are getting better than the EPA figures.....even with the wide-footprint tires (and 58 MPG is excellent, while not having to use more-expensive diesel-fuel like in the VW Jetta/Golf high-MPG TDI diesels, which also get excellent mileage). But, I'd bet you would get even more MPG than you are getting now, if you had the lower-rolling-resistance rubber.

2. body-side moldings are 99% gone are new model cars.
Only from cheapskate automakers. My brother's new Kia Soul has some of the best moldings I've seen in years.

3. I understand about the hood prop rods...I mean how much more are struts? but NOT an issue to me.
No, it's not an issue to everyone, but not everyone has Hulk-Hogan muscles in their hands, arms, and shoulders....especially older women. It's nice to not have to fool around with a hood's weight and those silly prop-rods. And, on some of them, if you don't get them in just perfect, a gust of wind or you knocking against the rod can bring the hood down on top of you.

4. temp spare is much better than run flats
Depends on where you are driving, the road conditions, and how far away the nearest tire-repair facility is. In general, I'd agree with you........but that still doesn't alter the fact that a real spare is usually the best option of all. That's why they are still used on many purpose-designed off-road-capable vehicles like the Toyota 4Runner and Land-Cruiser.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-14-11 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-14-11, 05:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

what non hybrids get similar mpg? what is similar, 30% less?
oh, you mean highway only mpg... why does it even matter when combined you are going to get 30 mpg? As I mentioned in another thread, average reported rating for new "40" mpg automatic Elantra on fuelgov.org is 29 MPG... thats because nobody starts and ends their trip at 55 mph on the highway.

why does the size of the vehicle have anything to do with luxury? if you cant fit, it is not luxury car anymore? there is no "lexus standard" interior space. First Lexus models were built for USA only and hence were large cars... now they wanted car that will do well in Europe and Japan, and that has to be C segment hatchback, best selling car size in both Europe and Japan.

Also, hood is "cheap" feeling because they used expensive Aluminium to cut down the weight.

In fact, if I look at your review it seems that Lexus did what they are advertising - small premium hatchback with great mileage, quality interior and sporty handling with minimum body lean and flat cornering.

Yes, it is small and yes it is sporty, it is meant that way.

p.s. thanks for the review and tell us more about NuLuxe?
p.s.2. While Insight has CVT, HSD has PSD which is actually not an CVT, but as the name says power split device. On paper very similar but in engineering very different technologies.
Old 03-14-11, 05:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lamar411
thanks for the review MM.
Sure....anytime.

so from what I can tell it has the funky Prius shifter and a specific park button?
Well, the shift-pattern is about the same as the Prius shifter, but the 3Gen Prius has a different-shaped lever, and it is mounted on the console, in a more-conventional manner, not jutting up or out out of the dash like on the old 1Gen/2Gen Prius and the CT.
Old 03-14-11, 06:04 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for yet another in depth and candid review MM

I think your impression of the handling is a bright spot for the car that may to a certain extent "wow" people when the drive it. As for the ride quality and sound isolation I think it will be interesting to see what people that are interested in the car can tolerate. What I mean is there might be a greater noise level then you/we expect in a Lexus, but will the people that Lexus is targeting for this car still say "its much better than what I'm driving now"?

Although I don't see this present version of the car being for me, my gut is telling me this car will be a moderately successful addition to the Lexus lineup.

Last edited by TripleL; 03-14-11 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-14-11, 06:13 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That the great, unbiased review! I'm still looking forward to heading over to my local dealership and seeing one of these in person. Based on your review, it's not really up to snuff for a Lexus, so maybe we should all just look at it as a plush Toyota.
Old 03-14-11, 06:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
what non hybrids get similar mpg? what is similar, 30% less?
The 2011 Ford Fiesta and Hyundai Elantra, to name a few (and I mentioned them in the review) get 40 MPG on the highway, very close to the 43/40/42 figures for the CT....and those cars are considerbly less-expensive as well.

There are some other new small cars that can also get that kind of mileage without a hybrid or diesel powertrain, but I don't have time to run through the EPA list and find them all right now.

oh, you mean highway only mpg... why does it even matter when combined you are going to get 30 mpg? As I mentioned in another thread, average reported rating for new "40" mpg automatic Elantra on fuelgov.org is 29 MPG... thats because nobody starts and ends their trip at 55 mph on the highway.
Yes, parallel-type hybrids (the type Toyota and Lexus use) usually do get better city than highway mileage.....but, they cost a lot more than conventional smaller cars, so you have to buy a lot of gasoline, over a number of years, to recover the difference. Fortunately, unlike some other Lexus hybrids, the CT uses regular gas, which helps.

why does the size of the vehicle have anything to do with luxury? if you cant fit, it is not luxury car anymore? there is no "lexus standard" interior space. First Lexus models were built for USA only and hence were large cars... now they wanted car that will do well in Europe and Japan, and that has to be C segment hatchback, best selling car size in both Europe and Japan.
How you define a luxury car is up to you. To me, a "Luxury" car allows me to sit in the front seat without my knee bumped up against the console and my butt riding on too-narrow bolsters, in the rear seat without looking and feeling like a Bachman Pretzel, and go over bumps in a reasonably smooth manner. The CT, for me, is deficient in all of these areas.

Also, hood is "cheap" feeling because they used expensive Aluminium to cut down the weight.
I know that. I did not imply, in the review, that the hood was necessarly made of cheap materials.....only that it did not feel solid, and might (?) be easily dented or bent

In fact, if I look at your review it seems that Lexus did what they are advertising - small premium hatchback with great mileage, quality interior and sporty handling with minimum body lean and flat cornering.

Yes, it is small and yes it is sporty, it is meant that way.
Agreed.....but it does not seem to have been designed for large Americans....in other words, people like me and Mike (1SICKLEX).

p.s. thanks for the review
Sure ...anytime.

and tell us more about NuLuxe
I tried to describe it accurately n the review. Some auto-pundits who have reviewed the CT didn't like it. I disagree. IMO, it is the best leather-substitute I've seen yet.....far better then the MB-Tex and similiar stuff that the Germans use.

Go check it out for yourself and see if you agree. If not....I'll espect your opinion.

While Insight has CVT, HSD has PSD which is actually not an CVT, but as the name says power split device. On paper very similar but in engineering very different technologies.
The Insight's IMA, with its CVT, has mild but annoying jerks and kicks as the elecric motor engages/disengages (most of the Honda systems cannot run on electrics alone, like the Toyota/Lexus units). The CT's doesn't actually jerk, and doesn't rubber-band or motorboat like some CVTs, but, in my test-car, it had a small but noticeable vibration/shudder as it first starts up from rest, which disappears in a second or two.
Old 03-14-11, 06:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
Thanks for yet another in depth and candid review MM
Sure....glad to help.

I think your impression of the handling is a bright spot for the car that may to a certain extent "wow" people when the drive it.
If you like sharp handling, you won't be disappointed with the CT...especially for a FWD product. That firm suspension/tire combination does produce, however, a ride that is a little stiff for my tastes.

As for the ride quality and sound isolation I think it will be interesting to see what people that are interested in the car can tolerate. What I mean is there might be a greater noise level then you/we expect in a Lexus, but will the people that Lexus is targeting for this car still say "its much better than what I'm driving now"?
Well, if you are used to driving an LS460 or a Mercedes S-Class, you are going to find the CT rather noisy and unrefined. If you are coming out of a Smart-for-Two, though, it may seem like a limo in comparison.

Although I don't see this present version of the car being for me, my gut is telling me this car will be a moderately successful addition to the Lexus lineup.
Well, it's a high-MPG hybrid, and, of course, in this environment of sock-it-to-you gas prices, cars of this type sell. But, for reasons I explained in the review, I think it might have been better-marketed as a Toyota rather than a Lexus.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-14-11 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-14-11, 06:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ecr527
That the great, unbiased review! I'm still looking forward to heading over to my local dealership and seeing one of these in person. Based on your review, it's not really up to snuff for a Lexus, so maybe we should all just look at it as a plush Toyota.
Thanks. I try to be as unbiased as I can, although there are (admittedly) some issues I do have rather strong opinions on, such as hood-prop-rods, temporary/donut spare tires, body-side mouldings, overly-complex dash-screen controls, and paint-color-choices. If a vehcle doesn't meet my expectatons in those areas (or what I think it should offer for the price), I do mention it in my reviews.
Old 03-14-11, 06:47 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Interesting. I test-drove a new 3Gen Prius with that wheel/tire combo, and its handling, while notceably sharper than the old Roly-Poly, still wasn't as sharp as the CT's. As for economy, the Prius cetainly has one of the world's best and most efficient gas-electric hybrid systems....there's no queston about that. You are getting better than the EP figures.....even with the wide-footprint tires (and 58 MPG is excellent, while not having to use more-expensive diesel-fuel like in the VW Jetta/Golf high-MPG TDI diesels which also get excellent mileage). But, I'd bet you would get even more MPG than you are getting now, if you had the lower-rolling-resistance rubber.
Mike - they are LRR tires on the Prius....TOYO PROXES A20 -- I did have the 15" wheels and got about 2mpg better...but I think its more due to the weight of the 17" wheels...the 15s are very very lightweight.
Old 03-14-11, 06:48 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, if you are used to driving an LS460 or a Mercedes S-Class, you are going to find the CT rather noisy and unrefined. If you are coming out of a Smart-for-Two, though, it may seem like a limo in comparison.
LOL Quoted for truth
Old 03-14-11, 07:03 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

The shape of this car doesn't really resemble ..... anything? I mean by that, it has no noticeable form. It's kinda square on bottom, round on top, and nothing in between to distinguish it from a cookie cutter block of wood they carved the first one from.
Old 03-14-11, 07:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
The shape of this car doesn't really resemble ..... anything? I mean by that, it has no noticeable form. It's kinda square on bottom, round on top, and nothing in between to distinguish it from a cookie cutter block of wood they carved the first one from.
Well, as I see it, it does have several distinguishing styling characteristics. The front end (grille/headlights) is pure Lexus. The rest of the car is strongly reminiscent of the current Mazda3 hatchback and older (mid-90s) Honda Civic hatchbacks. But, no, I agree with you that the general styling is not a butt-ugly, in-your-face standout like the Pontiac Aztek or Acura ZDX/TL. Neither is it as beautiful or svelte as an Aston-Martin or Jaguar.

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2011 Lexus CT200h