Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2011 Lexus CT200h

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-11, 06:22 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Great honest review,Mike.
I'm glad your not a Lexus Fan boy.
Old 03-15-11, 07:02 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Mike,
Great review once again! I like that Lexus stepped a bit out of the box in terms of the handling with the CT (based on the reviews of it cornering rather flat etc). Hopefully this continues with the soon to be relaesed GS & IS.

side note,
I too would like a review from you of the GX460 being an owner of a 2010 4runner(platform sibling). I have considered it to someday replace my 4runner, maybe a used one.

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 03-15-11, 07:30 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I haven't really disagreed with either of you that much. Some, though not all, of what you said was true, but highway MPG figures are not meaningless. And, on the highway, even though it's true that, as you say, you don't live at 55 MPH, it is still possible to get more than the EPA figure, though it is more-difficult to do it in stop-and-go driving. I can easily outdo the EPA highway figure myself, with my own Outback....on my last longish trip, I did 3 MPG better (31 MPG vs. 28).

Where parallel-hybrids, like I said in my last post, really shine is in the city, where they often get better then in rural areas or in cruise-mode, but this has to be balanced against the hybrid's substantially greater cost.
It's all about the Finesse. Using the 400h as an example, my time behind the wheel has shown that you can really finesse it at 55 MPH and pull 31 MPG, well over the 24 MPG. You can also easily downgrade that mileage too. That's any car.
Old 03-15-11, 09:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Consumer Reports also got 29 mpg overall on their recent test of the new Elantra...
As did Edmunds... coincidence? :-).

But you can get 60-70 MPG in Prius too, easily.... however thats not what average people will get. On average, they get around 48MPG according to fuelgov.org... just like Elantra drivers get 29mpg, Corolla drivers 32mpg.

So yeah, I think that if you advertise only highway mileage, you are deceiving the public as average Joe will not get anywhere close to those numbers... this is why combined rating exists and mix in the combined rating is adjusted for the general USA driving patterns (for instance mix in EU combined between highway/city is different).
Old 03-15-11, 09:32 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

btw, nicely summarized verdict, in sync with my observations and most published road tests.
Old 03-15-11, 09:36 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and a focus hatch is roomier than the CT and a better value. as is a sonata hybrid.
Ehm, apples to apples, Prius is roomier than Focus, and gets 60% better MPG while being similar in price for decently equipped model. But again, Focus is not an premium luxury hatchback. It is like saying that Avalon is more spacious, cheaper and gets better mileage than E class. It does! So why is MB even making E class when there is Avalon!

Sonata and CTh have nothing to do with each other at all, and Sonata is not on sale yet. You could have put Ford Fusion Hybrid in there for instance, but what does that have to do with small premium luxury hatchback, I have no idea.

CT200h is small luxury premium hatchback with sporty drive and good mileage. As such it compares to 1 series, A3, etc.

I am not sure why is that so hard to understand - I do get that it is rather new class in USA, but so what, be of open mind, you are car enthusiast, it should be that out of box thinking :-)
Old 03-15-11, 09:59 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
I am eager to see how this plays out.

I question whether people who are very concerned about gas prices (tight wallets)...... will go out and buy a $35000 hatchback.
kind of defeating the purpose, if you're tight on cash in the first place.

people who can afford to buy a luxury car should not be overly concerned about gas prices.
I have to agree. My next car, whenever that may be, will probably be a 5 door with my preference of mpg/reliability over just about anything else. Unfortunately, i doubt the CT will be in the running. It just doesn't make financial sense to me.

And if i had the money to buy another Lux car after my IS, i doubt i would opt for a CT then as well.

BTW, great review MM! You are one of several on here that keep me coming back to this forum everyday
Old 03-15-11, 10:12 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very informative review. Thank you for taking the time and effort to share this with us. I really appreciate the detail and the way you back up your opinions with observations.

people who can afford to buy a luxury car should not be overly concerned about gas prices.
This may not be true, at least for Lexus buyers. I suspect one of the reasons we buy Lexus is because we see the brand as good value for money. A vehicle that has better MPG has better value for money. Regardless of how much we may have available to spend it does not mean we want to waste it.
Old 03-15-11, 10:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The CT, however, feels and drives quite a bit different from many larger Lexus models....to my senses, it feels different from even its only slightly-larger HS250 cousin.
but of course the CT is a hatch and HS isn't, but i think they might have made the CT an HS variant (by name) and it would have made more sense.

I question whether people who are very concerned about gas prices (tight wallets)...... will go out and buy a $35000 hatchback.
kind of defeating the purpose, if you're tight on cash in the first place.

exactly, although it's amazing to me the number of 'rich' people i've met who buy an s-class and then moan about gas prices.

Originally Posted by raptor22
given that cars come in all shapes and sizes nowadays, side moldings have largely outlived their usefulness. All they do is uglify the car.
i disagree. i like 'em!

Originally Posted by spwolf
... CT200h is small luxury premium hatchback with sporty drive and good mileage. As such it compares to 1 series, A3, etc.
agreed there. A3 sold 386 in Feb (less than A8 ) and 1 series sold 864. i expect CT sales to be somewhere in between.

I am not sure why is that so hard to understand - I do get that it is rather new class in USA, but so what, be of open mind, you are car enthusiast, it should be that out of box thinking :-)
oh it's new all right. and as i've said over and over, i like the looks inside and out. i just think it doesn't make a lot of sense. and someone said the ingress/egress/seating is lower than an IS - if so, fat Americans will like it even less.
Old 03-15-11, 10:40 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh it's new all right. and as i've said over and over, i like the looks inside and out. i just think it doesn't make a lot of sense. and someone said the ingress/egress/seating is lower than an IS - if so, fat Americans will like it even less.
No problem, free Jenny Craig 3 year membership tb included.
Old 03-15-11, 11:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Great honest review,Mike.
I'm glad your not a Lexus Fan boy.
Thanks.

I call it like I see it. But, of course, Lexus does a lot of good stuff.
Old 03-15-11, 11:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
btw, nicely summarized verdict, in sync with my observations and most published road tests.
Are you talking about the review's verdict at the end? I tried to summarize, in a couple of paragraphs, why I didn't think it should have been marketed as a Lexus, and was (probably) better-suited as a Toyota.
Old 03-15-11, 11:58 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Another home run review buddy. We all love cars but its takes dedication, time, and talent to do reviews as good as yours. Thank you sir
Old 03-15-11, 12:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

but of course the CT is a hatch and HS isn't, but i think they might have made the CT an HS variant (by name) and it would have made more sense.

As I see it, it's more than simply a matter of hatch-vs-sedan. The HS simply has more size, smoothness, refinement, and noise-control, period.

I agree, though, with your statement......Lexus should have done an HS hatchback instead, and let the CT be a Toyota.
Old 03-15-11, 12:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Another home run review buddy. We all love cars but its takes dedication, time, and talent to do reviews as good as yours. Thank you sir
Thanks. Glad you like them.

Mike (1SICKLEX), also, IMO, does some great ones.

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2011 Lexus CT200h