Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2012 Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-11, 07:50 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
so, if you were shopping for 15k Civic or Corolla, you would have purchased 20k Accord?

Besides, there is now smaller fit, which is still a bit smaller than old Civic but has more space.
I think we American's may shop a little different. If the Accord turned out to be worth the money, I'd buy the Accord even if I originally started looking for a Civic or Corolla. Last year I looked at an Avalon, Camry, Infiniti, and ended up buying a Tacoma Double Cab. This year I sold my GS430 and was looking to buy the new CT-200h, a Camry Hybrid, or regular Camry, yet I just put a deposit down for a used 2 seater sports car We don't buy what is practical, we buy what jumps out to us at the moment.
Old 03-11-11, 08:20 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about it still. Maybe I'm just stubbornly holding on to the past, but I still like this generation TL better:
Old 03-12-11, 08:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexitegra
I don't know about it still. Maybe I'm just stubbornly holding on to the past, but I still like this generation TL better:
Style-wise, who doesn't?

The newer TL's though, do have the big advantage of the SH-AWD.
Old 03-12-11, 10:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by lexmenow
Go test drive the new s60 its FIRE!!!!!! I love my s60r
cool. my problem is i think it look like a buick.

and what the heck is marmite LOL.
exactly. it's wildly popular in places like england and australia though, but americans would throw up eating the stuff.
Old 03-14-11, 12:24 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bad co
The TL is still just a pig with lip stick. I will not pay 45k for a dressed up accord.
By that token, would you pay it for an ES, which is (in turn) a dressed up camry? I would say the ES is just as much a Camry as this is an accord.
Old 03-14-11, 06:43 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
By that token, would you pay it for an ES, which is (in turn) a dressed up camry? I would say the ES is just as much a Camry as this is an accord.
Good point. And in spite of the polarizing styling, they'll still sell around 40,000 of the updated TL.
Old 03-14-11, 07:00 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=UDel;6216620]
Originally Posted by lexmenow

"NOPE...... hell no. Looks the same to me."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not sure how you get they look the same. That picture proves they are not the same or don't even really look alike. They look very different to me. I have never heard anyone say a TL interior looks the same as Accord. They might have some slight design execution similarities but that can be also apply to other brands. Overall it is a different design, the materials are more solid and high quality in Acura's also.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"TL: 280-hp, 3.5-liter, VTEC®, V-6 engine
2010 Accord: 271, VTEC®, V-6 engine

Owwww 9 hp difference. Most people get the TL 3.5

TL SH-AWD: 305-hp, 3.7-liter, VTEC®, V-6 engine"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Camry has 268hp and the ES350 has 268-272, is that also a big problem. What about the IS250, HS, CT compared to Toyota's?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"My experience with an 05 TSX 6speed

1. ****ty 2.4 and not enough power for a 3500lb sedan in 3 series price range. Got tired of revving to 7.5k to merge into traffic.
2. TSX ride was stiff as stiff as my Mazda 3.
3. The TSX handles avg. at best. FWD 3500lb didn't help. The TSX is not sporty.
4. Interior was just like my coworkers accord 06 v6. I could not tell a huge OMG difference even the heated switches where in the same place.
5. SLOW
6. SLOW
7 Got tired of people calling it an Accord."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.The 05 TSX was a little over 3300lbs, the 3 series was quicker but much more expensive when you added similar options, actually the prices were not even really close between the sub 30K 05 TSX and a optioned E46 BMW 3 series. I never had to rev to 7.5k just to merge into traffic or pass someone when I drove a TSX or with my 4 cylinder cars that had less hp then the TSX.
2.The TSX has a crisp ride but I would not call it punishing or stiff unless your used to very floaty cars.
3.The 05 TSX is known for its handling and being driver focused, much more then most Lexus or Volvo models. All car reviews said it was a sporty good handling driver focused car.
4. The interior may be similar but it is still not the same, both cars had nice interiors, sharing of some bits and pieces is what happens when your luxury brand is part of a larger company
5 and 6. The manual 05 TSX was a 7 sec or low 7 sec 0-60 car that has more of its power higher in the redline then most cars, the current TSX 4 cylinder manual can do 0-60 in 6.7 sec which is pretty good for a NA 4 cylinder, it is quicker then the IS250 manual. I can see if your used to turbo engines, v6 or v8s you may not like that kind of power band but many do.
7. Who cares if some people called your Acura a Honda, some people also call Lexus Toyotas, Infiniti's Nissans, Audi's and Porches VWs. I car about the merits of the car not what other people think or call it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Why you hate on Volvo."
I don't hate Volvo, they are decent but pricey cars, just not really a fan of them and have had some bad experiences with them reliability wise.

"I got warranty for reliability. The UGLY TL can't be fixed It needs a new design from scratch."
I will not buy a car I am most likely going to have a bunch of issues with even if it is under warranty and I want something I am not scared to keep out of warranty. I don't find the new TL ugly, it is mainly in the big beak where the looks issue lies and that can be remedied by painting it or a aftermarket grill. Other then the grill it is pretty edgy looking car from most angles, I will take edgy over very bland like the G37 and new M37.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Volvo has a more prestigious look then any Acura 2009 and up."
I don't find the look of Volvo's prestigious, they more or less just look safe and bland. The sportier models look less bland but I would not say they are great lookers, I would not trust a high performance Volvo powerplant either. Previous high performance Volvo's are known to be extremely trouble prone.
Ok I feel yah good points.