Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-11, 05:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MM Review: 2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon

A review of the 2011 Acura TSX Sportwagon

http://www.acura.com/ModelLanding.as...0Sport%20Wagon

IN A NUTSHELL: This the body style that its sister, awkward-looking Honda Crosstour SHOULD have been, but why no V6, raised-suspension, or AWD?

I didn't get any specific CL-member (or non-member) requests for a TSX Sportwagon review, but it seems to be an interesting design, and I have been following its progress, marketing, and introduction for some time now. I saw a couple of them at the D.C. Auto Show in January (to Acura's credit, out on the floor and unlocked), and was sufficiently impressed that I wanted to do a review and at least a condensed, if not a full, write-up. However, that's not to say that I didn't have any criticisms......Acura, with this car, IMO, made several big marketing and design errors, which I'll get into later. But, like most Honda/Acura products, its quality only reinforces my strong conviction of the excellent way that the company builds/assembles their products at the factory-level....arguably, today, the best of any mass-production auto manufacturer.

Acura has a long history of building compact-sized vehicles for the American market (and they market a version of the Honda Civic in other countries, which is not available here). The original compact Integra came out in the mid-late 1980's, about the same time as the original Acura Legend.....and was an extremely well-built car. Later versions of the Integra, particularly the coupes and "R" versions, became quite popular with the young, street-custom, and caps-on-backward crowd. "Slammed", customized Integras, with trick-paint jobs, like with Honda Civics, became a common sight on the street. The build-quality and durablity of these cars, of course, allowed them to take much of the punishment that these young racers gave them with their aggressive driving style.

I wasn't nearly as impressed with the two-door Acura RSX that followed the Integra's demise. Some signs of cost-cutting were already popping up, especially with the interior materials, and the car, as a whole, just didn't have the Integra's Swiss-Watch feel and solidness. Acura, fortunately, resolved that problem with the original, first-generation TSX, which, for the most part, replaced the old Integra four-door sedan. The TSX was essentially an Acura version of the non-American-market Honda Accord, which is a little smaller than the Accords sold in the U.S. I liked the first-generation TSX, and was fairly impressed with its build quality. It also offered two things missing on the current, second-generation model....a true three-pedal manual transmission and (on the beige interior) a wood-tone trim option. Acura considered offering the new TSX with the superb SH-AWD system, but, to date, it still is not officialy listed as an option.

New for 2011 is the (overdue, IMO) TSX Sport-Wagon, which, of course, is a much more versatile car than the 4-door sedan. I'm glad to finally see this body style come out on the TSX, but (again, IMO), Acura really blew it on the marketing and equipment. Neither the 3.5L, 280 HP V6 or 6-speed manual transmission offered on the TSX sedan is available on the Sport Wagon....you have to take the smaller 2.4L 201 HP four and 5-speed Sport-Shift automatic. The SH-AWD system, of course, is not available on either the sedan or wagon. And the Sport-Wagon, unlike the sister Honda Crosstour, lacks the raised-suspension-height of the Tooyta Venza and Subaru Outback which would help it in deep snow or over road obstacles. I think both Honda and Acura blew it, to some extent, on the marketing. The Honda Crosstour, which DOES have the V6, AWD, and raised-suspension height for good winter travel, is, IMO, awkward-looking (some would say ugly, but I won't go that far), and the TSX Sport Wagon, which, IMO looks far better than the Crosstour, inexplicably lacks these things. Perhaps Honda didn't want a market-overlap between the Crosstour and the TSX Sport-wagon, with the same equipment on both vehicles, appealing to the same group of buyers. But, in that case, IMO, they should have put that equipment and suspenson on the Sport-Wagon, not the awkward-looking Crosstour.....or given the Crosstour a better-looking (and more space-efficient) body style like the Sport Wagon.

Only one basic version of the Sport-Wagon is offered, with or without a Technology Package. Base price is $30,960, or $34,610 with the Tech Package. No separate options are available except for dealer-added, factory-approved accessories. Acura offers an unusually long 4/50 warranty on the factory-approved accessories (many automakers offer only 1/12). But then, the Sport-Wagon comes fairly well-equipped in both versions, so a lot of separate options aren't needed....outside of the V6, AWD, and raised-suspension which Acura won't offer.

The in-line four, though, really isn't that much of a slouch...even with the automatic, it had a little more spunk than I expected.....I'll get into more of that below. For the review and test-drive, I chose a Gray Tech-Package model with black leather inside....though I obviously wouldn't choose that color-combo for a personal daily-driver. Even with the lack of the major options and equipment that Acura should have put on this car, I was still impressed with it as a front-driver, and its Swiss-Watch build-quality and solidness was apparent from nose to tail. But the TSX's overall reliability, according to Consumer Reports, is only average for the second-generation model (it was much-above-average for the first-generaton), so perfection in the factory-assembly process doesn't always translate into problem-free operaton down the road.....problems with the rear brake-pads and audio system have surfaced in the newer models. Still, even so, it is unusual to find a new car screwed-together as well from the factory as this one is....I was most impressed with its quality.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2011 Acura TSX Sportwagon with Technology Package.

BASE PRICE: $34,610

OPTIONS: None

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $860

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $35,470

DRIVETRAIN: FWD, transversely-mounted in-line DOHC/VTEC 16-valve 2.4L four, 201 HP @ 7000 RPM, Torque 170 Ft-lbs. @ 4300 RPM, 5-speed automatic transmission with Sport/Paddle-shifters.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 22 City / 30 Highway

EXTERIOR COLOR: Graphite (Gray) Luster Metallic

INTERIOR: Black Leather

PLUSSES (+):

Much better-looking overall body style (IMO) than its sister Honda Crosstour.

Like most wagons, more versatile than its sedan counterpart.

Very quick, sports-car-like steering response.

Flat cornering.

Firm but comfortable ride.

4-cylinder engine more responsive at low speeds than expected.

Slick-operating fore/aft transmssion shifter.

Excellent underhood layout despite engine cover.

High-quality interior plastics and materials.

Slick exterior paint finish (but the black has slight orange peel).

Typical Honda/Acura Swiss-Watch-precise overall assembly quality.

High-quality, well-done exterior trim (except, IMO, for the shape of the grille).

Very well-finished cargo area.

Nice-quality seat leather.

Dual-compartment glove box.

Good exterior sheet metal.

Very solid-closing doors.

Good front headroom.

Well-marked buttons/controls.

Sharp-looking chrome dual-exhausts.

Handsome (IMO) 5-spoke mag-type alloy wheels.

Standard Michelin 50-sereies all-season tires.

Acura 6/70 Drivetrain and 4/50 Bumper-to-Bumper warranties.

Unusually long 4/50 warranty on Acura factory/dealer-approved accessories.

MINUSES (-):

Lack of V6 option, AWD option, and Venza/Crosstour/Outback-style raised-suspension are serious marketing errors.

No manual-transmission available.

Typical Acura parrot-beak-shaped grille disrupts the otherwise good-looking styling.

No body-side mouldings for parking-lot protection.

Temporary spare tire.

Manual hood prop-rod instead of struts.

Tight rear seat room for adults.

Brake pedal not ideally located for big feet.

Quirky paddle-shifters for the transmission.

Mercedes/Volvo-type floating-needle primary-gauges (I'm not a fan of that type of design).

OK stereo-sound quality, but not one of the better ones I've heard.

Conventional ignition switch.....no engine START/STOP button.

No wood-tone trim option for the interior, as per the last-generation TSX.

Only six exterior colors offered...the only two I liked were the bright Vortex Blue and White Pearl.

5-speed automatic transmission OK (IMO), but many competitors offer 6-speed automatics.

Second-generation TSX reliablity record OK, but not as good as the first-generation....or of other Acura vehicles (per Consumer Reports)

Acura dealer network not particularly widespread.

EXTERIOR:

IMO, the exterior styling is one of the TSX wagon's best features, clearly avoiding the rather awkward looks of the Honda Crosstour or the truly (IMO) idiotic styling of its sister Acura TL and ZDX. The only flaw outside, as I see it, is the classic brushed-metal Acura parrot-beak grille, but it is not nearly as large or glaring as the ones used on the TL or ZDX. Some Acura dealers, at customer request, will paint Acura grilles body-color so that they don't stand out as much....the factory finally seems to be getting the message, and hints that, next year, those parrot-beaks may be gone (we'll see). The Sport-Wagon's squarish exterior styling, IMO, not only looks better than the Honda Crosstour's, but also helps make it more space-efficient in the cargo area....more on that later.

Outside of the grille, and the fact that there are no body-side mouldings to ward off parking-lot dings (a cost-cutting move), and, of course, the lack of Honda-Crosstour-type ground clearance for snow, there isn't' much to complain about outside. The 5-spoke, mag-type alloy wheels are, IMO, handsome and appear to be well-made. Instead of junk tires, quality Michelin 50-series all-seasons are standard. The sheet metal is solid and feels of high quality. The doors and hatch-lid all close with a solid "thunk" that many vehicles at twice the price don't have. The exterior trim is slick, well-made, and well-attached. The paint job is nicely-done, with the usual Honda/Acura slickness, except for a small amount of orange-peel with black paint. But even Lexus and Audi, with their industry-leading quality paint jobs, can't seem to entirely get around the orange-peel problem with black paint.....that just seems to be a problem on many recent black cars (I don't know why). And, for some reason, one of the best black paint jobs I've seen lately is on my brother's inexpensive Kia Soul. Only six exterior colors are offered, which seems a little miserly for a vehicle in this class...the only two colors I cared for was the bright Vortex Blue and the White Pearl....the others were too dull for my tastes. Finally, in the very back, a pair of nice-looking chrome exhaust-tips jut out from under the rear bumper....but only barely.

UNDERHOOD:

Very nice under the hood....I'd say a good-to-excellent overall layout, a rarity for one of today's upmarket-brand vehicles. But opening the nice, solid hood itself, in a car of this price class, should greet you with hold-up struts, not a simple manual prop-rod like the TSX has. Once you prop the hood up, it has a nice insulation pad to keep the engine sounding smooth and quiet (Honda-designed fours are usually smoother and quieter than most fours to begin with). A plastic engine cover blocks some top-engine access, but, other than that, the underhood access is excellent.....the TSX doesn't block things with panels and covers like some of its competitors do. Many components are easily accessable around all three sides of the engine block; the rather small maintenance-free battery is on the right (uncovered) and virtually everything else under the hood is in plain view and easily accessable, including dipsticks, filler caps, reserviors, ABS computer, etc.... Nice job, Acura......and yes, there's plenty of room in there for a reasonably-sized V6 (hint).

INTERIOR:

While I personally don't care for the second-generation TSX interior quite as much as that of the more plush-looking first-generation, it is still generally a nice place to be.....and done, of course, with the usual high-quality materials and laser-precise assembly in the Honda/Acura tradition. My chief complaint inside is that there is no more wood-tone trim in the second-generation interior (the first-generation offered it with the beige interior), but that alone is certainly not a deal-breaker. The former beige/dark gray interior colors have been replaced by black/taupe (leather....both with gray-metallic trim. The saleseople said that wood-tone was still an option.....but I couldn't find it in the specs (but, if so, it wouldn't be the first time I missed something in a review).

The interior, as aformentioned, was a generally nice, well-done place. The sun visors and headliner were done in a nice fabric. The seat leather felt nice and seemed to be of a fairly high grade...no imitation-stuff like in some German-upmarket cars. The seats were form-fitting, especially on the back-rests. and generally comfortable. There were two settings for the seat-memory feature on the full-power seats. The steering wheel had a nice smooth leather covering and a number of buttons/controls on it, but the spokes were too thick for the type of grip that I like best. Headroom in front was fine, even under the power-sunroof housing, but was surprisingly tight in back, despite the high roofline. Legroom/footroom, likewise, was fine in front, but too tight in the rear for many adults. The stereo-sound quality was OK, but not one of the better units I've sampled lately (and with KISS, AC/DC, James Brown, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Quiet Riot, etc..... they deserve the best). Although the primary-gauges were clear and relatvely easy-to-read, I'm generally not a fan of their Mercedes/Volvo-style floating-needle readouts....I prefer conventional needles. The glove compartment has two sections inside .....a larger main one, and a smaller one (apparantly designed for the Owners' Manual) on the upper-left. The upper-dash has a nice firmly-padded surface, the inside door-panel trim materials are of very high-quality and have solid, nicely-shaped pull-grips, and most of the interior hardware/stalks/controls seem solid and of high-quality, though the center-dash ****-controller for the high-tech/NAV screen doesn't seem as solid-feeling as the one used in big-brother Acura RL. Virtually all of the buttons and major controls are clearly marked and easy to use, though, of course, the dash-controller-**** in the middle takes some getting used to. The steering column had a manual tilt/telescope feature. And the fore/aft/tilt power-controls for the sunroof, like the power-window controls, have a one-touch feature where you don't have to hold them in place...just tap them once. The NAV screen, as with many similiar systems, functions as a back-up camera, with proxmity-markings, when the car is in reverse. All in all, a nice job inside, although if it were my money, I'd forgo the Tech Package, pocket the extra couple-thousand bucks, and have easier-to-use center-dash controls as a bonus.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Again, one of the car's nicest features....and, because of the more-or-less square-roof styling, more space-efficient inside than the droop-down rear roofline of the sister Honda Crosstour. The solid hatch-lid, like the doors, has a solid "thunk" when closing, and the cargo area itself is very well-trimmed and finished. Nice soft plush-feeling black carpeting, with metal-chrome strips and pull-rings, covers the trunk floor and both walls. A solidly-constructed
pull-shade and roll-spring-mechanism covers the rear cargo from prying eyes (many vehicles today have either no standard cargo-cover or a flimsy-feeling one...sometimes installed as a dealer-accessory). The split-rear seats, of course, fold down to increase cargo room. Under the trunk floor, beneath a pull-up panel, is a storage compartments, and, under that, a foam-fitted compartment for the jacking tools. The only cheap touch in the cargo area I could find was, of course, the temporary spare tire....in increasingly common (and annoying) cost-cutting practice on today's cars. On a 30K+ car like this, and any other vehicle in this price range, a real spare, IMO, should be standard........but, except for off-roading vehicles, most are not.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the 2.4L four with a more-or-less conventional key/fob and ignition switch (many newer vehicles in this price-class have an engine START/STOP button), and the engine fires up smoothly and quietly, especially by in-line four standards. Honda-designed non-turbo fours, of course, are known for their electric-motor smoothness and refinement, and this one is no exception. It DOES seem, however, to be an exception to the usual pattern of high-winding Honda VTEC fours not having much torque at lower RPMs. Although the official torque-max of only 170 ft-lbs. is at 4300 RPM (and the 201 HP max at a high 7000), the response clearly starts well below that. While not a drag-racer by any means, there is enough power and response at normal, everyday RPMs and stop-and-go driving to easily get out of one's own way. Lightly loaded, on fairly level surfaces, and at lower altitudes, this car probably doesn't need a V6, but, IMO, one should be available as a opton....particularly if the SH-AWD is ever added. In the Honda/Acura tradition, the four is also fairly quiet, despite the snazzy chrome twin-exhausts in the rear.

Although the TSX lacks the 6-speed automatic that some competitors offer (and, of course, the TSX sedan's 6-speed manual), the standard Sport-shift 5-speed automatic generally works well on American roads (you probably wouldn't need higher gears anyway, unless you were on a high-speed road like the German Autobahn). Smooth and quiet operation was its usual forte, and the shift-lever not only worked slickly but had a nice fore/aft motion that avoided those annoying zig-zags. The paddle-shifters on the steering column, though, (there is no manual-mode with the lever), seemed, at times, to have a mind of their own.....they can be used even in the full-auto mode, but they were off-and-on in delivering the requested gear, even in safe-RPM ranges where the computer didn't have to step in to prevent an engine-redline (I also keep the RPM down with brand-new engines, of course). Sometimes, when you used the paddles, instead of shifting, the digital gear-indicator would just go blank instead. I don't know if that was a random defect in my particular car (which is unlikely, given Honda/Acura's extremely high level of factory quality-control), or just the way the unit is designed/programmed.

Though it falls a little short of BMW-level engineering in the chassis (most cars do, of course), the Sport-Wagon's chassis is otherwise quite impressive.....the steering/suspension and Michelin 50-series tires do their jobs. Steering response is so quick (almost darty) that it is not far from sports-car levels. Cornering is almost flat, with very little body-lean. Ride comfort, while somewhat on the firm side (a little firmer than I would like), is still fairly comfortable, and bumps are absorbed fairly well, though you know you are not in a Cadillac DTS. Wind-noise control, from the door-insulation and extremely well-fitted seals, is well-done, and road noise, though not entirely gone, was also well-muted.....a good job, considering that Honda/Acura products, and especially wagon/hatchback body-styles with the open rear-ends, tend to amplify road/tire noise. The brakes (another traditional Honda weak point) were reasonably effective and smooth, with good proportioning, but the brake pedal was located a little too high and too
close to the gas pedal for my big circus-clown size-15 shoes....I had a small problem with that big shoe catching on the underside of the pedal when
lifting it from the gas to the brake pedal.

THE VERDICT:

This is one of the most significant, versatile, and sensible daily-driving vehicles that Acura has introduced in along time....in fact, IMO, it should have been introduced long ago, especially with the first-generaton TSX. With the exception of the awkward parrot-beak grlle, which is not a garish as on other Acuras, it is the most-conventional and space-efficient of Acura designs. But, just like Acura has screwed up in several other areas lately, they screwed this design up too. As I said earlier, this is, IMO the body-style that the Honda Crosstour SHOULD have been, and wasn't. Then, once they finally got the body-style right, they made huge marketng errors by not giving it the AWD, raised suspension/ground clearance, and V6 engine which would have made it a good competitor to the Toyota Venza and Subaru Outback. Nor is a true manual transmission offered, as in some competing Subarus....or even in its own TSX sedan stablemate.

So, yes, the marketers and designers still have a lot of homework left to do on the Sportwagon....but what they HAVE done, they have done extremely well. The TSX has the famous Honda/Acura build quality in spades. Almost everything on it feels like it was assembled by Black Forest elves. The driving experience, from the well-done chassis, is almost sports-car-like, while still delivering a reasonably-comfortable ride. The underhood layout, long a sore-spot with upmarket cars, is excellent. The fit/finish is first-rate. The interior trim-materials, for the most part, feel like they will wear forever. The only average reliabilty rating from Consumer Reports, however, belies the well-above-average assembly quality and materials.....time will tell how the 2011 and future TSX models will hold up in the long run.

And, as always, Happy Car-Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-07-11 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-07-11, 06:40 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Great Review as usual Mike. The part about Acura dealers is not really a factor for most, I wouldn't think. Reason being is that (like a Lexus), any Honda Dealer can and will willingly service an Acura, usually for a cheaper rate. A shame most people dont know this, because Honda dealers are quite literally EVERYWHERE.

I cant quite stomach paying that price for that car, when the Subaru Legacy offers so much more for the same, or less money. I dont see this car selling well for that reason.
Old 03-07-11, 07:02 PM
stick
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like wagons and this one looks sharp!

No 6 speed, no V6, and no AWD is weak. Nice "sport wagon" Acura.
Old 03-07-11, 07:32 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I've been curious as to why you see manual hood prop as a minus? I see it as a plus because I actually prefer a hood proper over a strut. Most people will bring their cars into a dealership to get them serviced anyways so they aren't bothered by it. Then again, I'm against struts because I work on my car a lot. One time my GS400's hood shocks gave out on me while I was trying to change my serpentine belt. There is nothing luxurious about having a bump on your head.
Old 03-07-11, 07:33 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Excellent review as always mmarshall

The TSX is an overall nice car and this wagon is a nice addition although I think they waited a little long to bring it to us. I have to agree though that the lack of SH-AWD and a V6 option will definitely hold this car back from achieving and appreciable sales figures.
Old 03-07-11, 07:38 PM
LexFather

Great review Mike. Its like Acura didn't even try and offered it just to offer it. There are like 4 colors, 2 interior choices one engine, old *** 5 speed and FWD/I-4 only. The Honda Crosstour is the more luxurious vehicle offering a V-6 and AWD.

The stupid "born from sports car" ad is just ridiculous.

I have no interest in this, maybe if it was a hybrid or something. I would be forced to ante up and buy the much more manly CTS Wagon.

Old 03-07-11, 07:49 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Given the poor sales of wagons in the U.S., Acura is probably being cautious/smart in offering just the I4, FWD etc.

AWD, V6 etc., won't increase sales very much, at least in the U.S. if consumers just don't like the idea of wagons.
Old 03-07-11, 07:57 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Given the poor sales of wagons in the U.S., Acura is probably being cautious/smart in offering just the I4, FWD etc.

AWD, V6 etc., won't increase sales very much, at least in the U.S. if consumers just don't like the idea of wagons.
I agree especially when gasoline prices are currently hovering around the $4 per gallon mark. A V6 and awd would add some weight to the car thus lowering fuel economy.
Old 03-07-11, 08:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Great Review as usual Mike.
Thanks, Josh.

The part about Acura dealers is not really a factor for most, I wouldn't think. Reason being is that (like a Lexus), any Honda Dealer can and will willingly service an Acura, usually for a cheaper rate. A shame most people dont know this, because Honda dealers are quite literally EVERYWHERE.
True. That part of it is similiar to the Lexus/Toyota dealer networks, where some Toyota shops can do routine service and minor repairs on Lexus vehicles (often at a lower price), as long as I doesn't involve warranty work, which only a Lexus dealer can do. I would imagine that, like you suggest, it is the same with Honda and Acura.

I cant quite stomach paying that price for that car, when the Subaru Legacy offers so much more for the same, or less money. I dont see this car selling well for that reason.
The Legacy, true, offers a six-cylinder and AWD, but it doesn't offer the wagon body-style any more (Subaru took that version out of the American market a few years ago). Now, to get the wagon body style, you have to get either a Forester or Outback....and both of those, of course, also have the raised-suspension, for ground clearance, that the Legacy doesn't have.

Where Honda/Acura went wrong, IMO, is that they put the V6, AWD, and raised-suspension on the wrong vehicle, when it was the TSX wagon that should have gotten it instead.
Old 03-07-11, 08:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by stick
I like wagons and this one looks sharp!
Yep....a lot better than the Crosstour.

No 6 speed, no V6, and no AWD is weak. Nice "sport wagon" Acura.

There's actually a fair amount of "sport" in the handling and steering response. You will be surprised at the quick response when you drive one. The 2.4L four, of course, is not a powerhouse, but the low-speed response is a little better than you would expect.
Old 03-07-11, 09:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
I've been curious as to why you see manual hood prop as a minus? I see it as a plus because I actually prefer a hood proper over a strut. Most people will bring their cars into a dealership to get them serviced anyways so they aren't bothered by it. Then again, I'm against struts because I work on my car a lot.
Yes, a prop-rod is simpler and cheaper.....and can't wear out like a spring or gas strut. But it is also more risky for some people, especially those with weak arms, hands, or shoulders. With some of them, especially the older ones with the L-shaped end that slips into a rectangular-slot, if it is not all the way in the slot just perfectly, a gust of wind (or maybe your arm bumping it) can knock it out....and bring the hood down on your head or body. This is bad enough with an lighter alumnum hood, but can be even more hazardous with a heavy thick-gauge steel one.

Given the plusses and minuses of each design, I personally think that struts or springs make better sense than manual prop-rods. But not all automakers agree...because, of course, they look for ways to keep their costs down.

One time my GS400's hood shocks gave out on me while I was trying to change my serpentine belt. There is nothing luxurious about having a bump on your head.
That is quite unusual. Struts rarely give out all at once....especially two at a time. Typically, the seals wear out very slowly over time, gradually increasing leakage and the amount of sag they will allow in the hood. Some vehicles, though, use only one strut....usually a larger, stronger one to compensate.
Old 03-07-11, 09:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
Excellent review as always mmarshall
Thanks.

The TSX is an overall nice car and this wagon is a nice addition although I think they waited a little long to bring it to us.
Yes, I agree...it's somewhat overdue. But, then, IMO, so was the Toyota Venza.....and the Venza got equipment that the TSX Wagon should have gotten, and didn't.

I have to agree though that the lack of SH-AWD and a V6 option will definitely hold this car back from achieving and appreciable sales figures.
Prospective buyers, if they want to stay in the Honda/Acura family (and not get a full-SUV like a Pilot or MDX) will, of course, have to turn to the Honda Crosstour for those things.........and the Crosstour's looks, unfortunately, turn off some people. The Crosstour's relatively high stance (like the Outback's) also helps it in deep snow and mild off-roading.
Old 03-07-11, 09:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
I agree especially when gasoline prices are currently hovering around the $4 per gallon mark. A V6 and awd would add some weight to the car thus lowering fuel economy.
I don't see where that's really an issue. Those who are really serious about fuel-economy aren't going to be looking at a TSX anyway, four or V6. They are going to be Fits, Insights, and Civic Hybrids.
Old 03-07-11, 09:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Great review Mike.
Thanks, Mike.

Its like Acura didn't even try and offered it just to offer it. There are like 4 colors, 2 interior choices one engine, old *** 5 speed and FWD/I-4 only.
According to the specs, there are 6 exterior colors.....the usual funeral-home shades, except for the bright blue and white pearl.

The Honda Crosstour is the more luxurious vehicle offering a V-6 and AWD.
Not only that, but also an Outback/Venza/XC-70 style raised-suspension for deep snow. Why they put that equipment on the awkward-looking Crosstour instead of the much better-looking TSX wagon beats me.

The stupid "born from sports car" ad is just ridiculous.
Actually, that's the one part of the ad that does seem to make some sense. There is a pretty fair amount of "sport" in the chassis....I was surprised at the quick steering response and almost flat cornering. This car is no float-mobile. It also delivers this nice level of handling, fortunately, without an notably harsh ride.....although I'm sure that the Michelin rubber also helps. Michelin, of course, doesn't make junk tires.

I have no interest in this, maybe if it was a hybrid or something. I would be forced to ante up and buy the much more manly CTS Wagon.
I like the CTS wagon, too, looks-wise (and especially its new upgraded interior), but the CTS, like the 1Gen CTS and Catera before it, is a somewhat risky buy, reliability-wise. You are used to typical Lexus reliability, which the average CTS simply cannot deliver.

As far as a so-called "manly" CTS wagon, I assume you are talking about the new CTS-V Sportwagon. That's some big $$$$$....probably more than what your GS460 hybrid cost.
Old 03-07-11, 09:40 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I've been curious as to why you see manual hood prop as a minus? I see it as a plus because I actually prefer a hood proper over a strut. Most people will bring their cars into a dealership to get them serviced anyways so they aren't bothered by it. Then again, I'm against struts because I work on my car a lot. One time my GS400's hood shocks gave out on me while I was trying to change my serpentine belt. There is nothing luxurious about having a bump on your head.
My GS430s hood struts are going and gave out one time while I was changing the air filter, luckily I was not under it when the hood slammed shut or I could have been seriously injured or something may have been damaged. I remember someone working on a BMW when the struts gave out. I know people who have damaged parts or bent metal pieces when their hood strut gave out while they were working on the car and it slammed shut on something under hood. I have no issue with manual hood props and I would rather have them after seeing struts fail so much. Those struts can be expensive to replace on certain cars too.

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon