Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-11, 08:36 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I don't find Acura interiors to be overly complicated. Yes they have alot of buttons and it may be daunting when you first look at the dash but they are logically laid out and it is easy to figure everything out after a little time experimenting. I never heard of Acura owners being overwhelmed by the buttons in their interiors, it is mostly car reviewers who are who have not or refuse to take a little time to try to figure anything out. I prefer cars with multiple buttons and switches for functions over some manufacturers taking the cheap way out by just using some flimsy i drive type controller in a sparse interior to navigate a video screen for different functions.
we had 7 cars (Ford Mondeo, Skoda Octavia, VW Passat, Toyota Avensis, Honda Accord, Mazda 6, Citroen C5) and we were testing them for 2 days... out of 7, Accord/TSX had the worst interior ergonomics... could you take few hours/days and slowly figured it out? Yes.. but all of the cars had similar features, some even more, and Accord/TSX were still hardest to use.

Opel Insignia is even worse, you actually have to use manual to figure some things like how to operate trip computer :-)
Old 03-09-11, 08:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
we had 7 cars (Ford Mondeo, Skoda Octavia, VW Passat, Toyota Avensis, Honda Accord, Mazda 6, Citroen C5) and we were testing them for 2 days... out of 7, Accord/TSX had the worst interior ergonomics... could you take few hours/days and slowly figured it out? Yes.. but all of the cars had similar features, some even more, and Accord/TSX were still hardest to use.
Does the Euro-Accord have the same dash/control set-up as the TSX, which, of course, is done on the same platform? In the American-market 2Gen TSX, there are indeed a lot of buttons, but they are virtually all large and clearly-marked.....I commented on that in the review.

Opel Insignia is even worse, you actually have to use manual to figure some things like how to operate trip computer :-)
Yes, some Opel products do have poorly-arranged controls. I remember how poorly-designed the Astra's controls were (the Astra was marketed here as a Saturn, with the same name...... Astra).
Old 03-09-11, 09:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
a venza may be considered an suv by the epa but that just proves they're idiots. it isn't tall enough or roomy enough to be an suv, imo.
Yes, Paul.....you hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what I was saying. The same applies to the Outback, Crosstour, XC-70, All-Road, etc.....
Old 03-09-11, 09:30 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Your premises are incorrect. Factory-raised-suspensions are not "jacked-up" suspensions in the aftermarket, "slammed" sense. And there's nothing funny at all about the statement I made that the RDX, though vastly more upscale, shares some traits with the Juke, such as a small size, questionable front-end styling, a turbo four, AWD, and fairly stiff suspension.
My premise is correct as usual and based on your past statements (above posts) and all too funny

Factory crossover SUV's are not station wagons with raised suspensions, they are thoroughly engineered as a complete vehicle. No doubt the Juke has some traits shared with RDX, RDX cross-shopped by Juke buyers is certainly a fun thought.
Old 03-09-11, 09:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
My premise is correct as usual and based on your past statements (above posts) and all too funny
OK...believe whatever you want. As far as I'm concerned, our conversation on this topic is over.
Old 03-09-11, 09:37 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

OK...believe whatever you want. As far as I'm concerned, our conversation on this topic is over.
Ok great, whatever , so that you don't go on & on with raised suspension station wagons and Jukes on a TSX thread. Over is good, thank God.
Old 03-09-11, 05:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned MM Reviews: 2011 Lexus CT200, and (by CL-member requests), 2012 Ford Focus and 2011 (2012?) Dodge Durango R/T, when they are released.
Old 03-09-11, 06:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Here's a little tip for multi-quotes:
Start with QUOTE=person's name in brackets.
Then highlight what you want to quote, copy it, and transfer it.
Then add /QUOTE in brackets.
Then type out your response.
Repeat this over again for the next part of the phrase you want to quote, and answer.
it's actually a lot simpler. the icon (to the right of quote button) at the bottom right of each post can be clicked (highlights red ), and you do that for each post you want to multiquote and then you click quote on the last one you want to include and it includes 'em all with the tags.

Originally Posted by spwolf
i agree the tsx center stack is crazy hard to figure out! i could NOT figure out how to pair a phone via bluetooth without the manual, and even operating the radio was crazy hard.
Old 08-03-13, 04:26 PM
KBALL
Pole Position

Is 2 1/2 years enough time between posts in this thread??
I'm on the sc430 side (03 closing in on 200k) and bought the '12 tsx wagon as my DD to replace a 4x2 4runner.
Put 30k on the wagon already and really love it overall. Getting 33-35mpg on hwy. '12 didnt come w spare tire but same everywhere else. They only sold 3200 in 11 and around 4200 in 12. Nobody likes wagons as some have stated but i think they're a pretty good jack of all trades. Planning on keeping mine at least 150k. The tsx steering wheel is so perfect when i get into the sc the wheel is HUGE!

Tough decision which to drive as both are so much fun
Old 08-04-13, 06:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KBALL
Is 2 1/2 years enough time between posts in this thread??

bought the '12 tsx wagon as my DD to replace a 4x2 4runner.
No problem. I'm glad the old review helped (that's why I do them). And congratulations on your purchase.

Put 30k on the wagon already and really love it overall. Getting 33-35mpg on hwy. '12 didnt come w spare tire but same everywhere else. They only sold 3200 in 11 and around 4200 in 12. Nobody likes wagons as some have stated but i think they're a pretty good jack of all trades. Planning on keeping mine at least 150k. The tsx steering wheel is so perfect when i get into the sc the wheel is HUGE!
After noting the Honda Crosstour's continuing awkward, space-inefficient styling and low sales, I'm still convinced, as I was a few years ago, that the smart-looking and more space-efficient TSX wagon was the platform that Honda should have used for its own Crosstour. Of course, Acura, IMO, also made some mistakes on the TSX Wagon's equipment/options-list, not giving it a V6, AWD, or added ground-clearance to enable it to compete with Subaru Outbacks and some versions of the Toyota Venza. That's part of what accounts for the low TSX wagon sales.....but, apparantly, you weren't one of those customers who wanted AWD or a larger engine in the first place. It seems to fit your needs just fine....so relax and enjoy it. Like most Acura products, it will probably be reliable and last a long time.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-04-13 at 06:39 PM.