Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-11, 05:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

i like euro accord but:
a. way way overcomplicated interior controls (is it more luxurious if it has 80 buttons?)
b. wagon looks weird at the back
c. wagon doesnt have enough space at the back or in the trunk. I am not that big and my head was hitting headliner in the back. Boot space also seemed a lot smaller than other Euro competition.

I have group tested Euro Accord Wagon (TSX Wagon) and I was the only person who knew how to turn on the stupid navigation display... just way too many buttons inside.
Old 03-08-11, 07:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i like euro accord but:
a. way way overcomplicated interior controls (is it more luxurious if it has 80 buttons?)
c. wagon doesnt have enough space at the back or in the trunk. I am not that big and my head was hitting headliner in the back. Boot space also seemed a lot smaller than other Euro competition.

I have group tested Euro Accord Wagon (TSX Wagon) and I was the only person who knew how to turn on the stupid navigation display... just way too many buttons inside.
In the version sold in America (not the American Accord, but the Americanized Euro-Accord/TSX), yes, there are a lot of buttons, but they are all well-marked.....I mentioned that in the review.
Old 03-08-11, 07:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
They are all classified in the United States by EPA as SUV's.
On paper, though, that doesn't make them true SUV's....even car-based unibody ones. Don't forget....EPA also plays vehicle-size rating-games by interior volume, not external size.....never mind how much of that interior volume is actually useful.

Going around and around about subjective SUV perceptions and Eagles and Hornets (like those Eagle/Hornets are similar to the crossovers of today and justification/reason for not calling the Venza/Outbacks SUV's) is just too funny, not to mention a waste of time, but what the heck, this is internet with all the blathering that goes with it.
It's not just me......Consumer Reports has also complained about the EPA rating-game.

Moving on (on to the topic for a change) is the best idea in a long time on this thread. The TSX wagon will outsell the RL at least, measured that way a sure-fire success!
Make a prediction if you want, but it may be going out on a limb. IMO, it's too early to predict the wagon's success. The RL does sell in the D.C. area, but, granted, not much nationwide. I'll say myself, though (and I can probably safely make a prediction on this one), that the wagon would sell significantly more if Honda discontinued the Crosstour and they put the Crosstour's equipment on the wagon instead.

Actually, if it were my own money (and I don't part with my automotive dollars without a lot of homework) the wagon, even with the 4 and FWD only, would be very high on my shopping list if I was to consider a FWD vehicle instead of another Subaru or AWD vehicle. No matter what type of drivetrain is in it or what kind of trim it has on the dash, this is one well-built wagon, and its assembly-quality tends to seduce.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-08-11 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-08-11, 07:30 PM
LexFather

They have been selling around 300 or so a month I believe. They actually separate the wagon sales figures if anyone wants to see exact numbers.

Old 03-08-11, 07:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
They have been selling around 300 or so a month I believe. They actually separate the wagon sales figures if anyone wants to see exact numbers.
The rather sparse Acura dealer network (compared to Lexus and Infiniti) doesn't help sales much, either.

How is it doing compared to the better-equipped Crosstour? (if you have the Crosstour's latest sales-figures). That is one of the issues we've discussed at length in this thread....the Crosstour's better equipment vs. the TSX wagon's better-looks.
Old 03-08-11, 07:45 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

For Jan-Feb 588 TSX Wagons and 3,266 Crosstours.
Old 03-08-11, 07:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
For Jan-Feb 588 TSX Wagons and 3,266 Crosstours.
Thanks, LexBob. I expected some lopsidedness, but not that much. The Crosstour's V6, AWD, and raised-suspension, as I suspected, seems to have more appeal, even with its somewhat goofy looks. Honda dealers, of course, are also a lot more widespread than Acura.
Old 03-08-11, 08:01 PM
LexFather

Well the sales goals are different.
The Crosstour had an original target of 44k a year and sold around 30k a year. A huge miss.
The ZDX had an original target of 6k a year last year, then it was to rise to 8k and 10k. They barely sold 3k its first year.
I am unsure of the Wagon's sales goals but I honestly think Honda is happy with 300 or so a month. This car had no development, they just tacked the Acura beak on an Accord wagon. So it should be fairly profitable even if they don't sell many.

Related but the RDX also never met sales targets and they had to add a FWD model to lift sales (a good move).

Old 03-08-11, 08:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well the sales goals are different.
The Crosstour had an original target of 44k a year and sold around 30k a year. A huge miss.
I agree it's a big miss, but 30K a year is not bad in today's economy, especially with the Crosstour's goofy looks.

The ZDX had an original target of 6k a year last year, then it was to rise to 8k and 10k. They barely sold 3k its first year.
Heck, I'm surprised they sold THAT many. Even so, after what Acura invested in its design and production, they gotta be losing money on it.....for an upmarket vehicle like that, 3K a year is probably nowhere near a break-even point.

I am unsure of the Wagon's sales goals but I honestly think Honda is happy with 300 or so a month. This car had no development, they just tacked the Acura beak on an Accord wagon. So it should be fairly profitable even if they don't sell many.
Agreed......but, as I pointed out earlier, it probably wouldn't have cost much to give it the sedan's V6 option and an Outback/Crosstour-style raised suspension, either.

Related but the RDX also never met sales targets and they had to add a FWD model to lift sales (a good move).
As I see it, the RDX really has little value as an SUV. It has a torquey turbo-4 with a lot of kick to it (Honda/Acura's only turbo engine in the U.S.), and a rather stiff, uncomfortable suspension that pounds you over bumps......in return for sharp handling. It is also quite small by SUV standards, without much room inside. Most people don't buy SUVs for that.....I see the RDX as appealing mostly to those who like the Nissan Juke, but want something more upscale and less-polarizing in the front-end styling.
Old 03-08-11, 09:45 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Raised suspension/jacked-up TSX wagons and RDX's being cross-shopped by Juke buyers, too funny to even imagine. Maybe a lift kit is a mod for TSX.

But thanks guys for the sales stats/facts here, after I went "out on a limb" and predicted the TSX wagon would outsell the RL (like that was hard to predict, so gutsy).

Last edited by IS-SV; 03-08-11 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 03-08-11, 10:10 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i like euro accord but:

I don't find Acura interiors to be overly complicated. Yes they have alot of buttons and it may be daunting when you first look at the dash but they are logically laid out and it is easy to figure everything out after a little time experimenting. I never heard of Acura owners being overwhelmed by the buttons in their interiors, it is mostly car reviewers who are who have not or refuse to take a little time to try to figure anything out. I prefer cars with multiple buttons and switches for functions over some manufacturers taking the cheap way out by just using some flimsy i drive type controller in a sparse interior to navigate a video screen for different functions.
Old 03-09-11, 06:24 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks.

The TSX Wagon is a good prospect for those who want a well built, reasonably-priced, reliable, FWD wagon with good handling. My main complaint (and I know I've said it several times) is that the goofy-looking Honda Crosstour got the equipment/options that the TSX should have gotten instead.
This is exactly what I mean, but was to lazy to type lol. Just look at the euro accord. The Acura is nothing more then a re-badged accord so why pay the name premium. Take an 06 RL and compare it to an 09 Accord. There is not much difference to me. Both have very nice materials, tech, and size. Its just that the accord looks better and is faster. In my opinion there is no reason to buy an Acura at this time.
Old 03-09-11, 06:45 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Raised suspension/jacked-up TSX wagons and RDX's being cross-shopped by Juke buyers, too funny to even imagine. Maybe a lift kit is a mod for TSX.

But thanks guys for the sales stats/facts here, after I went "out on a limb" and predicted the TSX wagon would outsell the RL (like that was hard to predict, so gutsy).

Don't give anyone ideas.
Old 03-09-11, 08:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

a venza may be considered an suv by the epa but that just proves they're idiots. it isn't tall enough or roomy enough to be an suv, imo.
Old 03-09-11, 08:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Your premises are incorrect. Factory-raised-suspensions are not "jacked-up" suspensions in the aftermarket, "slammed" sense. And there's nothing funny at all about the statement I made that the RDX, though vastly more upscale, shares some traits with the Juke, such as a small size, questionable front-end styling, a turbo four, AWD, and fairly stiff suspension.

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon