Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spy Shots: 2013 Ford Escape caught!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-11, 04:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope it comes out looking nearly as good as Vertrek concept. Obviously headlights, bumpers, lack of door handles, interior details in concept car don't meet safety requirements, but there is nothing in the basic body style or shape that can't be put into production. Looks very good IMO. It's likely the new Escape will look like this.
Attached Thumbnails Spy Shots: 2013 Ford Escape caught!-vertrek.jpg  

Last edited by IS-SV; 03-04-11 at 10:05 PM. Reason: sp
Old 03-04-11, 10:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I hope it comes out looking nearly as good as Vertrek concept.

Reminds me of the new Kia Sportage.

Old 03-04-11, 10:32 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed looks like the Kia (which I view as attractive for a small SUV), only better.
Old 03-04-11, 10:36 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Agreed, they're both small SUVs with four doors and four wheels, I definitely see the similarity
Old 03-04-11, 11:00 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Looks promising. Ford has the opportunity to grab a big chunk of the market here if it does this thing right. So far, so good.
Old 03-05-11, 06:32 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

^ Yes, this segment should show above average growth in US. Maybe the CRV will be challenged from a sales standpoint (CRV currently is best selling SUV).
Old 03-05-11, 07:00 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its been taking them a while to get the FUsion hybrid's powertrain into the Escape. Should be much improved when they do.
Old 03-24-11, 07:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, I'm reading the hybrid version (of new Vertrek/Escape) is in the works, but not finding anything very detailed so far.
Old 03-24-11, 08:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, I'm reading the hybrid version (of new Vertrek/Escape) is in the works, but not finding anything very detailed so far.
One piece of info I can give you is that there won't be a Mazda Tribute Hybrid (the Escape's twin) version of it. I asked about that at the D.C. Auto Show. The Tribute Hybrid is definitely out (a limited-production Tribute Hybrid run of the present-generation model was sold last year, only in CA.........the rest were conventional Tributes). In fact, there will probably not be a Tribute at all next year.....Ford is forcing Mazda to phase out all of the Tribute versions. The Escape's other twin (the Mercury Mariner), is, of course, already history.
Old 03-24-11, 08:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

^ Yes, this segment should show above average growth in US. Maybe the CRV will be challenged from a sales standpoint (CRV currently is best selling SUV).
Nothing wrong with the Escape (it's a decent small SUV), but the CR-V is the top-seller in its class for a reason. Its build-quality is superb.....IMO, arguably the best of any small SUV.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, to see the new Forester's numbers close in on the CR-V, either.......the 2009-2011 Foresters have been going like free beer at Clancy's Bar, though, even as a Subie fan, I don't think the latest-generation Forester is quite as well-built as the CR-V.
Old 03-24-11, 09:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nothing wrong with the Escape (it's a decent small SUV), but the CR-V is the top-seller in its class for a reason. Its build-quality is superb.....IMO, arguably the best of any small SUV.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, to see the new Forester's numbers close in on the CR-V, either.......the 2009-2011 Foresters have been going like free beer at Clancy's Bar, though, even as a Subie fan, I don't think the latest-generation Forester is quite as well-built as the CR-V.
I'm one of the few here that likes the CRV and know very well why it's the best-selling SUV in US. Forester sales aren't even close to CRV sales, so I will gladly bet on which vehicle will win 2011 sales race.
Old 03-24-11, 09:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,645 Posts

i think the cr-v will be under a lot of pressure in the next couple of years. it's certainly done really well (good bang for the buck, well made, functional, honda name/quality).

i actually see the cuv as the most exciting part of the auto industry, as more and more people move from sedans (most of which are neither fun to drive OR very practical).
Old 03-24-11, 09:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Ford is forcing Mazda to phase out all of the Tribute versions. The Escape's other twin (the Mercury Mariner), is, of course, already history.
Both good business decisions.
Old 03-25-11, 06:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I'm one of the few here that likes the CRV and know very well why it's the best-selling SUV in US. Forester sales aren't even close to CRV sales, so I will gladly bet on which vehicle will win 2011 sales race.
Thru February the CRV is outselling the Forester nearly 3 to 1. It still has a way to go before it's in the same ballpark. RAV4 is up there too ahead of Forester in sales.
Old 03-25-11, 09:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'm one of the few here that likes the CRV and know very well why it's the best-selling SUV in US.
Though it was reliable, I didn't care much for the 1Gen model. I think very highly of the newer ones, thogh, despite the questionable front-end styling.

Forester sales aren't even close to CRV sales, so I will gladly bet on which vehicle will win 2011 sales race.
If Forester sales don't continue to increase, I'd agree, but we'll have to wait and see. The 3Gen Forester, so far, mostly because of its increased size, is vastly more popular than the 1Gen and 2Gen models. Two of my ex-co-workers I've shopped with have gotten new ones in just the last several months.....and another a new CR-V. Subaru ticked off a few prospective Forester customers when they dropped the 5MT turbo XT (while keeping the turbo 4AT) on the 3gen model, but those were only about 4-5% of total Forester sales. It was, as you would put it....a "good buisness decision".

Anyhow, back to the new Escape. Although it hasn't been officially unveiled yet, here are some more (likely) shots (some are quite similiar to the Ford Kuga). The mirrrors, though, are a little different from the OP image in the bra.

................and here's the Hybrid:

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-25-11 at 10:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Spy Shots: 2013 Ford Escape caught!