Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2011 Lexus GX 460

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-11, 10:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I thought you said that is soooooo 80s

yeah, they cleverly put the 3rd row seat down so you can't see the zero storage space when it's up
this was a big FAIL for the gx for me (and I was a 1st gen owner)
WTH was lexus thinking???????

the new 4runner is much better looking than this
the 1st gen actually still have a bit storage space when the 3rd row is up. when we checked out the 2nd gen we were like wtf too. it's too pointless...
Old 02-26-11, 10:54 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
the 1st gen actually still have a bit storage space when the 3rd row is up. when we checked out the 2nd gen we were like wtf too. it's too pointless...
yeah, for the 1st gen, you can put grocery bags and a small stroller (crushed against the seat) but for the 2nd gen, I'm not even sure a shoe box can fit in there
Old 02-26-11, 11:34 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
I much prefer the 1st generation by a mile. Not a fan of the steering wheel, but it's not as bad as the front end. It doesn't look elegant at all. Had they gone with headlights that are not as dumb looking, it would have looked a lot better. But for now, I think they took a step back in design compared to the very nice looking 1st gen.
Completely agree. The first gen was and still is one of the best looking SUVs on the road...much better than the gen 2.
Old 02-26-11, 11:52 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Why would they do that? The RX is by far the best selling and standard in the class. I think they would need to develop a better chassis if they want to make it some AMG/Turbo SUV but they sell what 100 of those so its hard to even justify that market.

Quite frankly the new RX is a stunningly better drive than the 1st gen and it does offer a sport package.

Most SUVs are not road racers, they are driven by people with sense that like the space, elevated height etc and not worried about wanting to race it.
I think it's still a good idea, the reason people like me don't buy RX's is that there no more fun to drive than a minivan.
Old 02-26-11, 04:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

yeah, for the 1st gen, you can put grocery bags and a small stroller (crushed against the seat) but for the 2nd gen, I'm not even sure a shoe box can fit in there
yeah, but in 1st get seats folded on the sides which was dumb and took space compared to current setup... that tiny trunk wouldnt do anything with 7 people inside anyway.

2nd gen has Electric 3rd row seats that fold into the trunk.

Which make it more useful because most people used it for 5 seater.

Not to mention that 2nd gen has much much better suspension, and still stays honest truck.

2nd gen is best of dying breed. I had extensive time in LC Prado 120 (few years of driving every model that came out) and decent time in latest one.
Old 02-26-11, 06:24 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought you said that is soooooo 80s

yeah, i think i did say something like that before in reference to wheel arch cladding.

in this case, it's just lacking door dingers. but i see that's an option.
Old 02-26-11, 08:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bad co
I think it's still a good idea, the reason people like me don't buy RX's is that there no more fun to drive than a minivan.
And thats cool but there are more people that buy RXs for not being fun. Its great the X5 and Cayenne are sportier, not every has to drive the same. Any SUV without utility but wants to be sporty is just ****ing stupid.

Old 02-27-11, 01:22 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by venom21
I think its past its prime. The age of these vehicles is coming to an end.
The market says otherwise. Sales of the GX are strong and the GX currently outsells many unibody luxury crossovers.

Originally Posted by GSteg
I much prefer the 1st generation by a mile. Not a fan of the steering wheel, but it's not as bad as the front end. It doesn't look elegant at all. Had they gone with headlights that are not as dumb looking, it would have looked a lot better. But for now, I think they took a step back in design compared to the very nice looking 1st gen.
Looks far more elegant that the 1st gen IMO. This doesn't scream "Toyota" like the 1st-gen did, which it was essentially just a re-badged Toyota.

Less storage space overall, but you can argue the 2nd-gen has more "usable" storage space because the third row folds more logically than it did in the 1st gen.
Old 02-27-11, 07:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

just read some more of the review..

5300+lbs but 17 cu. feet less interior space than 1st gen?

it's a unique vehicle, but for me, just trying to do too many things. 7 seats and no cargo room is useless to me. it's got great off road capability though. i think for 5 people + cargo who need to get across a muddy field and stream, it's great.
Old 02-27-11, 10:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The market says otherwise. Sales of the GX are strong and the GX currently outsells many unibody luxury crossovers.

Looks far more elegant that the 1st gen IMO. This doesn't scream "Toyota" like the 1st-gen did, which it was essentially just a re-badged Toyota.

Less storage space overall, but you can argue the 2nd-gen has more "usable" storage space because the third row folds more logically than it did in the 1st gen.
no, doesn't matter much. people argue about the fold up seats in the first gen taking up space, but you can remove those seats if you need to. heavy, but i know plenty of people doing that

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
just read some more of the review..

5300+lbs but 17 cu. feet less interior space than 1st gen?

it's a unique vehicle, but for me, just trying to do too many things. 7 seats and no cargo room is useless to me. it's got great off road capability though. i think for 5 people + cargo who need to get across a muddy field and stream, it's great.
yup, i just find it very weird and surprising. even my sales said it's odd with zero space with 7 seat setup
Old 02-27-11, 10:09 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The new "fold flat" third row in the GX bumps up the cargo floor height quite a bit. You can see this when you open the door. It's the same in the new 4Runner's with a 3rd row. See the couple inches of plastic at the bottom here.

With 3rd row up, much of the space disappears
Old 02-27-11, 11:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
With 3rd row up, much of the space disappears
looks like you MIGHT be able to fit a pizza box, sideways.
Old 02-27-11, 02:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

no, doesn't matter much. people argue about the fold up seats in the first gen taking up space, but you can remove those seats if you need to. heavy, but i know plenty of people doing that

yup, i just find it very weird and surprising. even my sales said it's odd with zero space with 7 seat setup
we serviced 100+ Prado's, and never saw anyone remove 3rd row seats... and if they did, they certainly didnt put them back on daily/weekly/monthly basis.

Who cares of the space lost there? You are not going to load GX to the roof anyway (it is long way up).

Plus, reason there is less space behind 7 seats is because 3rd row is more useful now.

2nd Gen also has considerably better interior in both Lexus and Toyota versions. I would say it is even better than big bad LC's now.
Old 02-27-11, 04:55 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

It's a nice SUV, but I still prefer the LX over it.
Old 02-27-11, 11:33 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Personally I far prefer power-folding seats that give more usable space, as opposed to removing those 1st-gen style seats that fold to the side. I'm willing to bet the average 1st-gen GX owner did not remove their rear seats on a regular basis, if at all.

Quick Reply: Review: 2011 Lexus GX 460