Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Driver miraculously survives 199 mph supercar crash

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-11, 06:00 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver miraculously survives 199 mph supercar crash

A $1.5 million Pagani Zonda registered in Monaco spun out of control at 199 mph earlier this week on Italy's A10 autostrada. Miraculously, the young Italian-Argentine-German driver survived, but sadly, the black Zonda F gave its life so he might hoon catastrophically another day.

According to reports, forensics have revealed that the driver — a German citizen — lost control at approximately 320 km/h (198.8 mph), sending the $1.5 million supercar into a spin. It hit a guardrail on its right side, lost a wheel, overturned and shot across the roadway, where it collided with a Mercedes — with whom the driver was apparently racing — and came to rest on the opposite guardrail. Both the 28-year-old driver and his 21-year-old Lithuanian passenger were unhurt.

An Italian-Argentine citizen of Germany in a Monaco-registered Pagani Zonda F? Again, thanks to a carbon-composite safety cell, Darwin ignores the baller rich.
http://jalopnik.com/#!5764098/driver...supercar-crash
Attached Thumbnails Driver miraculously survives 199 mph supercar crash-zonda_crash.jpg  
Old 02-20-11, 06:17 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

"Hello, Geico?"
Old 02-20-11, 07:03 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I wonder, will his insurance cover that? Considering he was illegally street racing, are they obligated to cover the costs of replacement, or what are the conditions in this type of situation?
Old 02-20-11, 09:23 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
I wonder, will his insurance cover that? Considering he was illegally street racing, are they obligated to cover the costs of replacement, or what are the conditions in this type of situation?
Nope. Insurance companies don't cover things like street racing. If your street racing and you destroy anything, or kill anyone, your on your own like you never had insurance. Insurance isn't going to protect anyone for committing a crime. I've heard some insurance companies will cover 3rd parties, but wont cover your damages or cover you if your sued - but i've never seen one that does this.

In fact, even if you take it to the track for racing, your not covered. They usually have a clause in the fine print that states they wont cover you if you engage in:

(a) any pre-arranged or organized racing, stunting, speed or demolition contest or activity, or
(b) any driving activity conducted on a permanent or temporary racetrack or racecourse.
Old 02-20-11, 10:03 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Poor car. I have no sympathy for the driver. Then again I have no sympathy for people who race on the streets.
Old 02-20-11, 10:50 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

This could of easily ended with lost lives.
Old 02-20-11, 10:54 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

I'm pretty sure if you're 28 and drive a Zonda F insurance issues are the least of your worries...
Old 02-20-11, 12:29 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just in time to buy a pagani huyayaywywrrrr
Old 02-20-11, 01:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
This could of easily ended with lost lives.
Agreed. The fact that the two guys were both young (and, presumably, strong and in good shape) probably helped them.

Originally Posted by GSteg
Then again I have no sympathy for people who race on the streets.
Agreed......I have even less.

I'm not saying my own life (and youth) was perfect, but street racing was something I avoided like the plague.
Old 02-20-11, 01:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Nope. Insurance companies don't cover things like street racing. If your street racing and you destroy anything, or kill anyone, your on your own like you never had insurance. Insurance isn't going to protect anyone for committing a crime. I've heard some insurance companies will cover 3rd parties, but wont cover your damages or cover you if your sued - but i've never seen one that does this.

In fact, even if you take it to the track for racing, your not covered. They usually have a clause in the fine print that states they wont cover you if you engage in:

(a) any pre-arranged or organized racing, stunting, speed or demolition contest or activity, or
(b) any driving activity conducted on a permanent or temporary racetrack or racecourse.
Correct on all counts. Not only will they not cover damage from a specific accident, but some insurance companies will drop your entire policy if you are caught racing on a public road.
Old 02-20-11, 05:59 PM
mondo540
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These guys were either lucky or it was not their time to leave us just yet...if they were going that fast and it was straight and those huge guardrails were there, they just bounced around glancing off that like a bowling ball on a lane where the kiddie rails are up....no guadrail ...carbon fiber shell or not, see ya later.

Can u imagine being passed by this guy...just driving along at 55? There should be strict mandatory jail time for this kind of thing if you are caught...we've had 2 instances of street racing killing innocent people where I live (just driving along and getting hit by the racer)...of course the racer survives, innocent victim dies never knowing what hit them...bad stuff.

Last edited by mondo540; 02-20-11 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-20-11, 07:23 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

200mph. one slight twitch, and your car is gone.
I know what it's like. I've been there............. in a video game
Old 02-20-11, 07:30 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many always think about the technology allowing a vehicle to go fast but few recognize the technology in keeping the passengers safe when cars let go at these speeds.
Old 02-20-11, 11:21 PM
LexFather

Old 02-21-11, 12:09 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
LMAO. Amazing, not that they survived but that people can be so stupid and careless. I could care less that this guy wrecked a million dollar car, I'd feel the same way if it were a $3,000 Civic....But then again 199MPH would not have been achieved.

Quick Reply: Driver miraculously survives 199 mph supercar crash