Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Driver miraculously survives 199 mph supercar crash

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-11, 05:27 AM
TOPSECRTIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dunnojack
200mph. one slight twitch, and your car is gone.
I know what it's like. I've been there............. in a video game
lol. But in the video game you can drive away. These guys are going nowhere. Good thing he didn't hurt anyone else.
Old 02-21-11, 03:01 PM
Raralith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, I wondering what the Mercedes was to keep up with the Zonda?

As for insurance, a clarification on track racing, and while it's been mentioned that "normally" you are not covered, you need to speak to your insurance company. Mine, Mercury, does allow you to take "high performance drivers education" classes which is racing on a track, but there needs to be a formal educational class (an hour or so) and normally nothing that is timed. My wife's friend works for State Farm, and if you get into an accident at the track, they will pay for it but you'll be immediately dropped after that. If you notice when you get quotes for insurance companies, they ask if you've been dropped by a previous company so it turns out quite a few have this sort of policy. This specific policy with State Farm will vary though, and she's unfortunately had to tell people yes or no after she puts in the claim. Again, call your insurance company, tell them that you have a high horse power car, and that you want to take a "high performance drivers education type class" and see whether you are covered.
Old 02-21-11, 05:27 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Since these classes are mostly taught at tracks, and more insurers are including this exclusion, do the class sponsors provide insurance?
Old 02-26-11, 10:57 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by meowCat
Thread is good but the comments are extremely lame.

The point of the thread is to show how safe these cars can be. 1992 McLaren f1 had similar crash at 180 something mph, flipped over 17 times and crashed in to other cars and the driver only had a few bruises and walked away. Ferrari Enzo is just as safe if not safer. Hypercars costing 700+k generally come with such level of safety. Instead of whining about stupid insuranes or killing someone, you people need to praise the vehicles safety. You guys got the point all wrong 1000%.

Shame shame shame
Like your signature? Spare us the tutorial people are entitled to their opinions once it doesn't brake the rules.

He is lucky, period. There have been sadly plenty of people who perished in exotic cars.

Old 02-26-11, 11:14 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

at least he didnt kill anyone.
Old 02-26-11, 01:56 PM
Milan
Pole Position

Wow, I'm in for more, this thread just got interesting.
Old 02-26-11, 07:14 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Since no one got killed this guy won't be going to jail. Maybe if he crash it 2 mroe times a judge will give him a serious, stern warning with maybe a month probation or two. If he violates that probation 2 more times then a judge will get furious and throw the book at him and send him to jail for at least 30 mins and make sure he won't get out until the next day.
Old 02-26-11, 08:22 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by meowCat
oh yeah, I have a nice $1.5 mil ranch house too. Opinions are fine, but I was correcting the point about the topic. I did not say don't post because the opinions are wrong. And it's "break" the rules, not brake. You might as well add "brembro" brakes too, hahahaha.

Of course the luck is needed, but if the vehicle isn't safe the chance of fatality is much higher. This ain't "Corvette" typical Americans like... Lmao

Oh and those 1980's Countach's don't count. They were not made for safety, just for speed. Nope, Ferrari F430's and Gallardo's and Murcielago's don't count either.
Are you an expert in forensics? My guess is no. I also figure you are not an expert in physics. B/C hitting anything at 199 MPH and the driver survives is LUCK. Not to mention we have no idea what happened. The force of a 3200lbs or so object at 199 mph is unreal. I agree the exotic car structures are safe but they are not some force fields where you can drive how you want, crash and walk out.

Corvette Typical Americans like? What is that? You are always complaining about racist comments against Koreans (which are never correct) and you make that comment?

No one mentioned the Countach, the F430, Gallardo and Murchielago.

Let me also mention that the Pagani Zonda only crash tests maybe 1 car. And the Zonda did not meet USA Safety regulations so it was never sold here.

Old 02-26-11, 08:25 PM
LexFather

Well after snooping around this is what I found.
The car is owned by the current owner of Gembella and it was him and his girlfriend. He says he hit a puddle going around 100 mph, not 199mph. That makes much more sense for the survival of the two and 199mph on a public road is just something almost unimaginable.

Credit is given to the carbon-composite safety cell for the 2 to walk out with hardly a scratch. But again according to the driver it was 100 MPH not 199 MPH and that is why we can't jump to conclusions.

http://www.luxury4play.com/european-...a-crash-4.html

Old 02-26-11, 08:42 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Nope. Insurance companies don't cover things like street racing. If your street racing and you destroy anything, or kill anyone, your on your own like you never had insurance. Insurance isn't going to protect anyone for committing a crime. I've heard some insurance companies will cover 3rd parties, but wont cover your damages or cover you if your sued - but i've never seen one that does this.

In fact, even if you take it to the track for racing, your not covered. They usually have a clause in the fine print that states they wont cover you if you engage in:

(a) any pre-arranged or organized racing, stunting, speed or demolition contest or activity, or
(b) any driving activity conducted on a permanent or temporary racetrack or racecourse.
Just so I get where you are coming from here, the last time you registered insurance on a Zonda-F Supercar in Italy was?
Old 02-27-11, 08:00 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Raralith
Damn, I wondering what the Mercedes was to keep up with the Zonda?
Was wondering the same thing. SLR perhaps?

Carbon Fiber for the win though.
Old 02-27-11, 11:38 AM
Raralith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Since these classes are mostly taught at tracks, and more insurers are including this exclusion, do the class sponsors provide insurance?
If insurers are including the exclusion of covering you for high performance driving education (HPDE) than you are covered in case of an accident so the host doesn't need to provide insurance. If your insurer doesn't cover HPDE and you get into an accident, you are **** out of luck. I should note though that some classes do let you rent cars (souped up Celica's for example) and those, as far as I know, are covered by the track where you rent them from.
Old 02-28-11, 02:28 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Thats ridiculous that he survived. As illegal as it is, i have driven 130+ in both my car and a mercedes and at speeds like that, keeping just a focus on the road is riduclous, i couldn't even begin to think what would happen in an accident at those speeds