Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cheap oil used by Lexus dealership in Indianapolis

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-11, 01:53 PM
HGill2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap oil used by Lexus dealership in Indianapolis

Beaware Tom Wood Lexus (Indianapolis) uses cheap no name brand oil. I learned they are using "Mechanics Brand" Motor Oil. They informed me that oil distributor makes the oil. Lexus is a premium brand car like Mercedese and BMW it deserves quality oil. Protect your investment.
Old 02-17-11, 02:47 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't like in Indiana but im sure anyone who goes to that dealer will appreciate the heads up

Good looking out
Old 02-17-11, 03:46 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

good info for those local to Ind. You should post this on dealer reporting sites like http://www.dealershipratings.com and other review sites. It'll gather a larger audience that way.
Old 02-17-11, 06:31 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Do you have any actual proof, oil is oil and the only damage that is gonna be done is by those who race the engine before it warms up and those who believe in going 20k on the dino stuff before changing.

Other wise a dealer who buys his oil from a distributor who mixes oil, it could have a better additive package then name brand stuff, get a used oil analysis
Old 02-17-11, 06:35 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

As long as the oil is API certified for your car, then it doesn't really matter what brand it is.
Old 02-17-11, 06:36 PM
LexFather

http://bobistheoilguy.com/

FYI the LFA uses Mobil 1

Old 02-17-11, 07:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The dealership has to use oil that meets or exceeds Lexus warranty-requirements (which, I believe, for new 2011 models, is SM-grade, regardless of brand). If they don't, they can lose their franchise. I don't think that the average Lexus Service Manager is going to risk getting his shop closed down just to save a couple of cents on each quart....but, of course, there are sometimes a few bad apples in every bunch.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-17-11 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-17-11, 07:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Do you have any actual proof, oil is oil and the only damage that is gonna be done is by those who race the engine before it warms up and those who believe in going 20k on the dino stuff before changing.
Well, to some extent, oil IS oil, but the additive-packages and refining methods differ vastly among SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers)-rated oil-grades. That is why, oil grades, over the years, has gone from SA all the way to SM-grades. Generally, the newer the car, the higher-grade oil required.....and for a reason. You simply can't use 1960's-grade oil in a 21st-century vehicle without risking engine problems.
Old 02-17-11, 08:09 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, to some extent, oil IS oil, but the additive-packages and refining methods differ vastly among SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers)-rated oil-grades. That is why, oil grades, over the years, has gone from SA all the way to SM-grades. Generally, the newer the car, the higher-grade oil required.....and for a reason. You simply can't use 1960's-grade oil in a 21st-century vehicle without risking engine problems.
Interesting and funny, most don't even know what brand and weight is in their car, let alone the year it was made

My father has some old oil sitting on the shelf in his shop, it does not even have a weight on it yeah I would not put that in my car
Old 02-17-11, 09:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer puts Mobil1 synthetic in my Lexus, per my orders.
Old 02-17-11, 09:40 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Btw, unique 1st post.
Old 02-18-11, 07:44 AM
TomWoodLex
Driver School Candidate

Default I'm from Tom Wood Lexus and would love to answer your concerns...

Hello, I am Heather Thomas, the Social Media Director of Tom Wood Lexus. Thank you for expressing your concerns over the oil we have chosen to sell. I certainly understand that you might expect a name brand product for your vehicle but we have done extensive research on the Mechanics Pride product we currently sell. We have documentation that it is a fully licensed API product and meets all standards that are required by Lexus. Oil Distributing blends the oils for different companies including name brand and private label oils.

In the past, we have used big name oils and we were hit with price increases on a regular basis. Using Mechanics Pride, we are keeping with the manufacturer's recommendations and keeping prices as low as possible. This isn’t a new idea we came up with, it’s a trend with dealerships and repair facilities across the country that helps keep service prices from skyrocketing. If you are still not comfortable with this oil, please let me know when you schedule your appointment and I will be glad to order the oil of your choice and have it here when we service your vehicle.

If you have any other concerns or questions, please feel free to call or email us and we would be happy to serve you.

Phone: (317) 580 6888
mhume@tomwood.com
Old 02-18-11, 08:11 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

As long as the API rating is the latest, you're fine. You have to go out of your way to find oil that isn't the latest API rating.

Worry less about the brand, and more about the rating.

Your biggest concern, many times over, is how often you change that oil.

This dealership isn't doing anything out of the ordinary.
Old 02-18-11, 08:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Btw, unique 1st post.
Good point...........and none of us, so far, bothered to welcome the new poster to CL. I'll do that now.
Old 02-18-11, 08:39 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't know which weight or type of oil they used, but Mechanics Pride oil are API certified:

http://eolcs.api.org/brandSearchResu...ride&go=Search

It's about time people paid less attention to brand name. Most of the oil comes from the same refinery with similar additive packages anyways. You're paying more for the name that won't make a difference in your car. Like CleanSC, said, the oil interval is FAR FAR more important that the oil you're running.

Quick Reply: Cheap oil used by Lexus dealership in Indianapolis