Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-11, 12:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MM Review: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500

By CL-member request, a Review of the all-new 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad-Cab.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/2011/ram_1500/

IN A NUTSHELL: A new smooth-riding suspension, interior, and fit/finish transforms an American classic....but reliability may be suspect.

(Accessory Bed-Extender)

I got a request from a well-respected CL member, a couple of months ago, for a review of a new 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad-Cab 4.7L, but, because of my surgery, recovery-time, the week-long D.C. Auto Show, and a number of requests for the Hyundai Equus review, it's been delayed some. But I promised I'd get to the Ram review in February, as soon as feasible.....so, apologizing for the slight delay, here you are. And, anyone else interested in a new Ram......it's for you, too.

I looked at several new Ram 1500 and 2500 models at the D.C. Auto Show, of course (I don't remember them having a dual-wheelie 3500 there). Like some other new Chrysler products, I was impressed with the new interiors, paint jobs, good fit and finish, and what appears to be somewhat better build quality.........long a Chrysler weak point. Only time will tell, of course, on whether long-term durability and reliability are improved, but the design and condition of a number of new Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep products coming out of the factory is noticeably better (and, in some cases, far better), than just a couple of years ago. The story goes that after Fiat bought part of the company's rights (along with U.S. Government bailout money), Chrysler's new boss, Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne, took a look at the way Chrysler was designing/building their products and, among other things, simply demanded better interiors. And it shows. Already, in just a year or two, new Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep products are getting substantially better design and interiors...it's amazing how quickly things can happen, of course, when people's jobs are on the line. Of course, Fiat, the last time they were in the American market (some 25 years ago), itself had a reputation for building junk. But, of course, that was decades ago, and the new Fiat 500s that were also at the show appeared to be reputable small cars now.

Full-size Dodge trucks, like their Ford and Chevy/GMC competitors, go back many years. The 4WD Dodge Power Wagon, like the military's ******/Bantam Jeep, became famous during World War II (the Power Wagon, like the Jeep Wrangler, is still in production). After the war, Dodge trucks were popular in the late 1940s and 50s, after World War II (at the end of the war, of course, civilian versions began to be built again). They remained fairly popular during the 1960s, but, as the 70s dawned, quality and reliability started to suffer. I remember the Dodge trucks of the 70s and 80s....full of rattles/squeaks, ill-fitting parts, water-leaks, and premature rust/corrosion from poor bodywork. Also the uncomfortable park-bench seats common to many pickups of the time, bouncy rides, and trim pieces falling off. By the 1980s, the Ford F-150 had taken over as the King of the American pickup market, with the Chevy C/K and Silerado models close behind. Dodge trucks, in sales, languished in a distant third.

That began to change, though, in 1994, at least to some extent. Dodge marketers and designers, desperate to improve the Ram's showing in the American market against Ford and Chevy competitiors, tried an all-new, novel approach of desiging the Ram with big-rig, semi-type, droop-front-fenders and Macho styling. It was also adopted, to a lesser extent, on the smalle, mid-size Dodge Dakota pickup. The results were an unqualified success. Though the somewhat sub-standard Dodge build-quality still remained, the Ram's popularity increased markedly during the mid-late 90s. Sales still remained behind Ford and Chevy, but the Ram suddenly became a household word, and the distinctive new shape had become famous. The 1994 Ram also introduced some other new pickup-innovations, such as the big wide console-lid that flipped up or down and served as a mobile office-desk.

Unfortunately, IMO, some of the marketers don't know when to quit with the Ram's Macho-ads. Even today, I find the newest Ram ads on radio and TV to be somewhat annoying, with a Hulk-Hogan, WWF-type atmosphere, hard, macho-music in the background, and a tough-guy narrator outlining the truck's construction and towing abilities. But, from a marketing point of view, they seem to be working...the truck does sell better than it did years ago.

The latest-generation Ram, though, ironically, has not only a more plush, less-Macho interior, but also a less-Macho suspension that trades the old bouncy, teeth-rattling leaf springs (a pickup staple for decades) for much more civil-riding coil springs. You really have to drive this new truck to believe it...the new suspension, compared to the old, is way more comfortable.....but I'll get into more of that later, down below.

Domestic American pickups, especially the full-size ones, traditionally come in a bewildering array of engines, drivetrains, wheelbases, bed-lengths, cab-styles, frame-lengths, wheelbases, towing capacities, trim levels, Stepside-vs-Fleetside beds, etc..... so I won't try and go into all of the possible Ram versions. Basically, it comes in three basic levels (1500, 2500, and the dual-rear-wheel 3500), gasoline or diesel, base/SL, SLT, Sport, Laramie, Big Horn, and Longhorn trim levels. Three basic gas engines are offered (3.7L V6, 4.7L V8, 5.7L Hemi V8) and a Cummins diesel on the heavier-duty versions. The 4.7L V8, which my test-truck had, can also burn E85 (85%) Ethanol. The 3.7L V6 has a 4-speed automatic, the V8s a 5-speed (oddly, there is no manual transmisison). My test-truck had a 6"4" (76-inch) bed with a factory spray-on bed liner...other bed lengths are available, according to model.

The review request was for a 4.7L SLT Quad-Cab, but it was difficult to find this exact model in stock....and even more difficult to find V6 models in stock. The Dodge dealership I was at today, for example, (a very large one, BTW), had a number of Rams in stock, but were virtually all 5.7L Hemi Big Horn models. One 4.7L model was in stock....fortunately, a 4X4 Quad-Cab (per the request), but, unfortunately, a Big Horn instead of an SLT. However, this seemed reasonably close to the review-request, so I decided to go ahead, test-drive it, and write it up. It was Gray metallic, with a two-tone cloth interior, a fair number of options, and listed for a little under 38K (an SLT mode, depending on options, would have probably been a little cheaper). When I asked why most of the ones in stock there were Hemi models with either the Laramie or Big Horn trim, the salespeople said that because of dealer and factory-incentives, Hemi Big Horn models can go out the door for roughly the same price as 4.7L V8 SLT models...and the difference in gas mileage between the 4.7L my test-truck had and the more powerful 390 HP Hemi was barely 1 MPG. So, according to them, most people took the Hemi Longhorn models......and, of course, nobody wanted the V6. Made sense to me.....the dealership, of course, was stocking up on what actually sold.

Though, of course, I had already seen new Rams at the D.C. Auto Show, I was pleasantly surprised (again) when I had the chance to test-drive one....details coming up.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 4.7L Quad-Cab Big Horn

BASE PRICE: $33,905

OPTIONS:

Tech Group: $495

3.92 Rear Axle: $375

Voice Command for Bluetooth: $310

Power Sunroof: $850

32-Gallon Gas Tank: $75

Class-IV Towing Hitch: $335

Spray-on-Bedliner: $450

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $975

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $37,770

DRIVETRAIN: 2WD/Part-Time 4WD, longitudinally-mounted 4.7L Flex-Fuel V8, 302 HP @ 5650 RPM, Torque 329 Ft-lbs. @ 3950 RPM, 5-speed automatic transmission with Tow/Haul Mode.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 13 City / 18 Highway

EXTERIOR COLOR: Mineral Gray Metallic Clearcoat

INTERIOR: Light Pebble Beige/Dark Brown Cloth

PLUSSES (+):

Excellent ride-comfort by body-on-frame pickup-truck standards.

Reasonably short turning radius.

Good wind-noise control.

Decent power from the 4.7L V8.

Flex-Fuel/E85 Ethanol capability.

Fairly good underhood layout except for engine location.

Plush, rich-looking (though plastic) interior trim.

Good interior fit/finish.

Good exterior fit/finish.

Relatively solid-feeling exterior sheet metal.

Big, classy chrome grille.

Nice chrome front bumper.

Fairly nice paint color choice.

Better paint job than past models.

Solid exterior mirror housings.

Beefy, well-shaped steering wheel.

Clear, simple gauges.

Complete gauge set (oil pressure, voltmeter, etc...)

Excellent stereo sound quality.

Easy-to-use interior buttons, *****, controls, etc....

Good front and rear headroom and legroom (Crew Cab) for tall persons...slightly less rear legroom in Quad Cab.

Good rear-seat comfort by pickup-truck standards.

Versatile rear seats easily fold-up...and with solid hardware/hinges.

Handy door panel pull-grips.

Double glove box openings...with solid latches.

A REAL spare tire (as all vehicles should have).

Handy swing-down lever for spare tire.

Built-in ventilator pane in rear window.

Automatic PSI system on the dash checks pressure in each individual tire.

Large, wide flip-up compartment on center-console.

Bargain Hemi and Big-Horn deals/incentives available for almost the same price as 4.7L/SLT.

5/100 Powertrain and 3/36 Bumper-to-Bumper warranties.

MINUSES (-):

Spotty reliability record of past models (but is now average, per Consumer Reports).

Electronic but outdated Part-Time 4WD transfer-case.

(Still) does not offer Full-Time AWD like Chevy Silverado.

Noisy engine exhaust.

Noticeable rear-tire/road noise.

Engine somewhat difficult to reach underhood.

Poorly-located brake pedal for big feet.

Awkwardly-high left-foot step-on parking brake.

Thinly-applied spray-on bed liner.

Somewhat cheap-feeling dash *****.

No splash guards behind the wheel wells.

No standard running-boards for entry-exit.

No body-side moldings for parking-lot protection.

No locking gas-cap.

Zig-zag shifter (on floor-console models).

V6 and 4.7L models hard to find in stock.

Tacky, annoying (IMO) Macho Radio/TV ads. (this, of course, is not the vehicle's fault).

Complex, slow-loading web site (again, this is not the vehicle's fault).

EXTERIOR:

On first glance, there is no mistaking this truck for anything else but a classic droop-fender Ram, although the semi, big-rig look up front is not as pronounced as in earlier versions. The overall fit/finish and paint-job is light-years better, although I wasn't impressed with the spray-on bed-liner (more on that below). The Big Horn version includes a big, classy, Dodge-style chrome grille, big chrome front/rear bumpers, and chrome door handles. Unlike the rather flimsy sheet metal on some recent Toyota Tundras, the sheet metal on most domestic full-size pickps (including the Ram) is substantially more solid-feeling. Ten different exterior colors are offered (I liked several of them) and some upper-level Rams have some available two-tone combinations. There was some cost-cutting in a few areas outside......no locking gas-cap, no body-side mouldings for parking-lot protection, and no standard running-boards for easier entry/exit (the truck's high-stance makes getting in and out an effort, especially for shorter persons). Once up in the drivers' seat, though, there is a high, commanding view of the road ahead. A sliding pane in the center of the rear window, on some versions, helps ventilate the cabin. Most of the exterior trim semed solid, well-finished, and well-done. The two outside-mirror housings had plastic that felt a litle thin, but, unlike past Chrysler products, seemed to snap/swivel and lock solidly. Large, extended mirrors, as on most pickups, are available as an option for towing big, wide trailers. Also, as with many pickups, a number of factory and aftermarket accessories and equipment is available for cosmetic (stripes, graphics, etc...) or work-truck needs (winches, towing, snow-plows, etc...).

UNDERHOOD:

Open the solid hood, and two nice gas-struts hold it up for you. There is a nice insulation pad under the hood, and it seems to help keep the engine quiet, but there is exhaust noise....more on that later. The basic underhood layout is pretty good, and the longitudinally-mounted 4.7L V8 fits in pretty well in the large underhood space, but the substantial height and width of the compartment, plus the fact that the engine is mounted somewhat to the rear partly under the firewall, makes it a little dificult to reach, unless you are of NBA-height. The plastic engine coverblocks access to most top-engine components (when are automakers finally going to finally toss those covers out?). But, if you are tall enough to lean over the big fenders and grille to reach the engine, there's some room to reach things down the sides of the block. The battery, on the right, is partially-covered, but generally accessable. The high-stance of the vehicle, rearward-location of the engine, and big fenders and grille, mean that it will be a strain for some people to reach dipsticks, filler caps, and reservoirs.

INTERIOR:

Although there is a fair amount of plastic inside, and some cheap-feeling *****, by and large, the Ram's designers have delivered on CEO Marchionne's orders to come up with more respectable interiors and fit/finish. On several of the newest Chrysler products (Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Charger, Chrysler 300, and now, the Ram, the difference is noticeable, big-time (I think, for now, that some jobs at Chrysler are going to be safe). The new Ram has attractive, well-done trim inside, particularly in the upper-line versions( Big Horn, Longhorn, etc...) The dash has well-trimmed, attractive, clear, easy-to-read gauges. There is an entire set of gauges as well, including oil-pressure and an ammeter.....(a full-set should be standard, IMO, on all vehicles), although the secondary gauges are a little on the small side. The sun visors could use a little better material, though, and some of the climate control/stereo/headlight *****, though well-trimmed, have a rough, cheap feel to them when you turn them. But there wasn't much in the rest of the interior to complain about. The headliner was a nice material. There are BIG hand-grips built into the windshield pillars. the power-seats were fairly comfortable and had a nice-feeling, durable cloth. The rear seats had not only decent leg/footroom (more so in the Club-Cab models than the Quad-Cab), but a quick, easy fold-up mechanism for added cargo space, with durable-feeling hardware. As mentioned before, there is a slide-panel in the rear window for added ventilation. The glove box is split into (roomy) upper/lower halves and has durable-feeling latches (flimsy latches are a problem on a lot of vehicles). The stereo is relatively easy to adjust and has good sound quality.....but it is not up to the Lexus Mark Levinson units. There are BIG handy door pull-grips built into the interior arm-reats...but they would feel and work better, IMO, if they were vertical instead of horizontal. There is a big, wide, multi-use flip-up compartment between the two front seats that can double as a mobile-office desk.....a Ram tradition since the first ones were used in 1994. Headroom, front and rear, is, as expected, good.....even with the sunroof housing. My test-truck, without a floor-console (which adds footroom between the two front seats), had a column-shifter for the transmission instead of the annoying Chrysler zig-zag console lever. The 3-spoke steering wheel, with plastic-metallic-trim, was beefy and well-shaped; comfortable to hold. Not a perfect interior, but, all in all, light-years ahead of the original Rams in design and execution, although, as mentioned, the original droop-fender Ram, in 1994, introduced the flip-up office desk between the two front seats.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Typical of full-size American pickups is a number of different bed-lengths; my test-truck had the 76.3" bed, which was 64.4" wide. I wasn't terribly impressed with the way the optional ($450) factory bed-lining coat was sprayed on. The grainy, dark-gray material, to me, felt a little thin and cheap. How long it will continue, with sharp, heavy loads, to protect the sheet metal underneath from scrapes, gouges, rust, and corrosion remains to be seen. The locking and removable tailgate, with Lift-Assist and caliper-latches, seemed to be made of durable-enough sheet metal (weak, buckling sheet-metal under load, I remember, was a problem on the second-Generation Toyota Tundra's tailgate). I can remember when some American pickups had a dual-action tailgate that opened either down or sideways (the Honda Ridgeline still does), but I don't see it offered as a Ram option. Under the rear of the bed lies a REAL spare tire (something that is rapidly disappearing from today's vehicles, unless they are designed for off-roading). Athough I didn't actually try out the mechanism myself, the salespeople say that you don't have to crawl down under the Ram, like in the old days, to unbolt the spare tire....a remote bolt-and-lever mechanism does that for you, and swings it out past the rear bumper. The Big Horn trim package includes not only a nicely-chromed rear bumper, but also a black, bumper-wide, rubber-step on top of it for you to place your feet while loading. Some versions of the Ram also have a nice, weather-tight, outside-locking compartment outside, just below the bed (my truck didn't have it).

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the 4.7L v8 with a plastic electronic key-fob and a twist-hole in the dash, just to the right of the steering-column. The engine comes to life with a smooth and fairly quiet idle....some exhaust noise can be heard, which increases markedly upon acceleration. The engine has decent power, but this is a heavy vehicle and it has to work. Although I did not drive the truck fully loaded, still, there seems to be enough grunt, empty, that it should take on its rated load and/or its rated 8500 towing capacity without too much strain. The 5-speed automatic performed smoothly and quietly once the fluid warmed up, but when, cold, you could notice a small amount of firmness in the shift. My test-truck had a column-shift for the transmisison, though, of course, models with a full-length console get a floor shift....with Chrysler's zig-zag pattern (I find zig-zag patterns annoying). The transmission, as in most pickups, had a push-button Tow/Haul mode (which limits the higher gears under load), and a Hill-start feature, which prevents rollback in dicey off-road conditons.

The chassis was a defnite improvement over earlier models (and over many other pickups). As I mentioned in the opening section, the old leaf-springs, which tend to give a bouncy ride when lightly loaded, have been tossed out in favor of new coil-springs, which vastly improves the light-load ride. I was pleasant surprised (I hadn't read about the new suspension earlier) with the overall ride comfort, and remarked about it when I brought the truck back after the test-drive. Of course, it's not as smooth as, say, a Buick Lucerne or Cadillac DTS, but it clearly doesn't jar and bounce you over bumps like many pickups still do. I felt like I could ride for hours in this truck (if my bladder and lower-back/upper-leg Sciatica co-operate) without major discomfort. Steering response was not bad either, for a full-size truck...it was reasonably quick, with only moderate body-roll. Another pleasant surprise was the truck's turning radius........short enough that making U-Turns on a typical four-lane highway was not much of a problem. Wind-noise control, on the road, was generally well-done, but there was a fair amount of the aforementioned exhaust-noise, and a noticeable amount of rear-tire and road noise. The brakes were generally OK, and fairly responsive by full-size truck standards (which, needless to say, are not in Corvette of Porsche territory), but the pedal was poorly-located for big clown-shoes like my size 15s. Because of the large, roomy floor-space under the dash, the brake pedal is a ways to the left of the gas, but high enough off the floor that my big shoe tended to catch and hang up on the right edge of the pedal when I took it off the gas and went for the brake....I had to be careful.

THE VERDICT:

Although it is not perfect, there's no doubt I am impressed with this new 2011 Ram 1500. Its few weak points, like the spray-on bedliner and cost-cutting lack of some features outside, are, IMO, more than compensated for by its new or much-improved features. The new interior, as mentioned, is light-years ahead of the older ones. The new coil-spring suspension makes you almost forget you are in a pickup truck (the ride-comfort is that much improved).....and, despite the added suspension softness, full-size pickup payload/towing capacities are not affected (this truck will still work toe-to-toe with the other big boys). The classic Ram big-rig styling remains, although a little subdued, and with tons better fit/finish than in past years. Handling/steering/body-roll, of course, is not sports-car grade, but not bad at all by full-size pickup standards (again, this may be the effect of the new
suspension).

One significant problem, though (IMO) remains....the Part-Time 4WD system and the lack of a Full-Time AWD/4WD setting for the electronic transfer-case. American full-size pickups, except for the Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra, have dragged their feet for years by not adding this feature....the Ford F-150, like the Ram, still has not added it either. Part-time 4WD, of course, is cheaper because it is less-sophisticated (without a center-differential), and it's fine for use off-road or slick surfaces, but, on dry pavement, it can't be used because of the tendency of the driveline to bind and tires to scrub during tight turns......and you're sometimes guessing if the pavment under you is perfectly dry or not. Full-Time or On-Demand AWD/4WD eliminates this problem by having a fool-proof center differential that can be used in ANY conditons, on ANY surface (that is one reason why Subaru does all their American-market vehicles this way). GM recognized the need for this system several years ago, in the Silverado/Sierra....it's high time for the Ram and F-150 to catch up. Of course, the 2WD (RWD) setting should remain in the transfer case for fuel economy when AWD is not needed, but, when actually in 4WD, the part-time system should add a center-differential and function as Full-Time or on-Demand AWD. Then, of course, there is the reliability issue. According to Consumer reports, Dodge Ram products are not known for good reliability, though the latest ones, for the last couple of years, have climbed to Average in the reliability rating, so they are now on Consumer Reports' Recommended List (CR will not recommend anything with a Below-Average reliability rating, no matter how competent a vehicle it is or how well it performs in their tests).

And, as always, Happy Car (Oops, Truck) -Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-16-11 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-16-11, 12:47 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Fantastic Review, Mike, as always. Thank you. Looks like I picked a winner! What did you think about the 4.7L? While not fast, i think it has enough ooomph!
Old 02-16-11, 12:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Fantastic Review, Mike, as always.
Thanks, Josh. Glad to help.

Looks like I picked a winner! What did you think about the 4.7L? While not fast, i think it has enough ooomph!
Yes, my impression, too. It has some exhaust noise on acceleration, and enough power for normal driving....probably enough for heavier loads too, unless you load it up to the max in, say high mountain driving with steep grades.

Long-term reliability, of course, is still a question-mark, but, given the rise to Average reliability in the newer models, and the improved build-quality evident in the latest-generation model, my strong guess is that reliability won't be as much of a problem as before.

The salespeople here said that, all else equal, they were selling Hemis and big Horn models at roughly the same price as 4.7L and SLT models, but I'm not sure I believe it. Some salespeople will say (or B.S.) almost anything to try and make a deal.
Old 02-17-11, 06:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned review, by CL-member request: 2012 Ford Focus (I looked at a few at the D.C. Auto Show)...but this car hasn't been released yet in the D.C. area. I may also do a mini-review or test-drive a Chevy Volt if I get a chance
Old 02-17-11, 07:20 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Mike for another outstanding review! Applause is due to MoPar for ditching the old cart-springs. My 3/4-ton 4X4 (K-20) Suburbans had them fore and aft, and in order to achieve a decent ride, you had to install HUGE gas-charged shocks to dampen the bouncing. Naturally, as with any suspension mod, there was a significant downside to upgrading to shocks that actually did their job - you ripped the shock mounts right off the frame within a year - or a good-sized pothole, whichever occurred first. That required some fabrication by a good frame shop to build and install proper mounts to carry the increased loads placed on them. Glad to see Dodge did it right from the start.

I agree totally with your distaste for the over-the-top machismo advertising. Although there is a large market for "work" trucks and commercial vehicles, those rugged features are largely for image, particularly among city-dwellers. Few privately-owned new pickups show any signs of real "work", unless you consider hauling two weeks worth of groceries work. On the freeway, that pickup alongside you with the 3" lift kit, mud-grip tires, and snarling side-exhaust is likely being driven by an accountant.

I'm always amused by the people who drive one-ton duallies with the diesel option that have neither a real tow hitch nor a scratch on the painted tailgate or bed. $40K worth of "male enhancement" product, that.
Old 02-17-11, 02:49 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review MM. Good to see you feeling better. I really like the looks of the Dodge, but the Ford interior just kills it and the Silverado hands down.
Old 02-17-11, 03:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Thanks Mike for another outstanding review!
Sure, Lil...anytime.

Applause is due to MoPar for ditching the old cart-springs. My 3/4-ton 4X4 (K-20) Suburbans had them fore and aft, and in order to achieve a decent ride, you had to install HUGE gas-charged shocks to dampen the bouncing. Naturally, as with any suspension mod, there was a significant downside to upgrading to shocks that actually did their job - you ripped the shock mounts right off the frame within a year - or a good-sized pothole, whichever occurred first. That required some fabrication by a good frame shop to build and install proper mounts to carry the increased loads placed on them. Glad to see Dodge did it right from the start.
Yes, pickups and some truck-based SUVs have traditionally had a kidney-pounding ride....in general, the heavier-the-duty (three-quarter-ton, 1-ton, etc...), the stiffer the ride. That wasn't necessarily shock-damping, though, (or the need for big gas-shocks) but simply the heavy-duty springs needed to support a heavy load without the truck squatting down on its tires. Shock-damping, of course, improves the handling and prevents excessive body roll, but the main factor in ride-comfort is usually spring/tire harshness. Somehow, though, Dodge engineers have found a way to put relatively smooth-riding coil springs on the new Ram, while, at the same time, still giving decent handling and preserving its good GTWR payload and towing-capacity (8500 lbs). And, of course, there are optional factory-packages that increase those ratings.

I agree totally with your distaste for the over-the-top machismo advertising. Although there is a large market for "work" trucks and commercial vehicles, those rugged features are largely for image, particularly among city-dwellers.
Yeah, that stuff gets old hat after a while....epsecially on regular radio and TV ads. People who want to listen to macho-music like that can watch Monday Night Raw and the WWE.

Few privately-owned new pickups show any signs of real "work", unless you consider hauling two weeks worth of groceries work. On the freeway, that pickup alongside you with the 3" lift kit, mud-grip tires, and snarling side-exhaust is likely being driven by an accountant.
The nice plush interiors on many newer pickups show that they are built as much for show and comfort as they are for hard work. But those same pickups ARE still available in base, no-frill-versions....stark military-grade trim, simple vinyl seats, no floor-carpets, no chrome, etc.... for farmers, ranchers, construction crews, etc..... who use them for hard work.

I'm always amused by the people who drive one-ton duallies with the diesel option that have neither a real tow hitch nor a scratch on the painted tailgate or bed. $40K worth of "male enhancement" product, that.
At least with the Cummins diesels available on the 350/3500 series, they aren't burning up quite as much fuel as the gas-engine versions for that "male-enhancement". The gas-engine versions of those dual-wheelies drink up fuel faster than Lindsay Lohan does booze.
Old 02-17-11, 03:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lamar411
Thanks for the review MM.
Sure...anytime.

Good to see you feeling better.
Yes....with a few restrictions such as still no swimming, I'm virtually back to normal.

I really like the looks of the Dodge, but the Ford interior just kills it and the Silverado hands down.
Have you seen the Big-Horn version of the Ram......or the even more plush Longhorn versions? The Longhorn's interior, with unique leather and delicate carvings all over, can easily go toe-to-toe with the Ford F-150 King Ranch.
Old 02-18-11, 05:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Personally, I'd like to see Dodge or Chrysler do a full-sized SUV based off of the new Ram platform....I think it would make a good Suburban/Tahoe/Expedition competitor. Chrysler, strangely, has not offered any SUVs in this size-class for as long as I can remember. The long-running Dodge Durango is in a slightly smaller size/price class.
Old 02-18-11, 08:46 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Dodge produced the Ramcharger from 1974 to 1993.

Based on the marque's 1/2-ton pickup platform, the Ramcharger was a short, 2-door short-bed pickup with a back seat (as was the competing Chevy Blazer). Neither vehicle was a particularly good one, as they were heavily compromised and built to a price.
Old 02-18-11, 08:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Dodge produced the Ramcharger from 1974 to 1993.

Based on the marque's 1/2-ton pickup platform, the Ramcharger was a short, 2-door short-bed pickup with a back seat (as was the competing Chevy Blazer). Neither vehicle was a particularly good one, as they were heavily compromised and built to a price.
I remember the Ramcharger (and its twin, the rather short-lived Plymouth Trail Duster)....I rode in them numerous times with friends. They were two-doors, though, not really in the same class as Suburbans, Tahoes, Expeditions, etc..... and not as passenger-friendly inside.
Old 02-18-11, 10:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

wondering how you can tell the spray on bed liner was 'thin'?
Old 02-18-11, 03:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wondering how you can tell the spray on bed liner was 'thin'?
Two things. First, on my particular truck, you could see and the edge-line in a couple of places (and its width) where the spray stopped. Second, in a couple of other places, you could feel things, through the liner, in the bed-fitting underneath like small bolt heads, seams, etc.... that would probably be covered up or masked by a thicker coat of lining material. It's probably not a serious issue, but it will be interesting to see how many, if any, rust-through warranty claims are made with trucks that regularly haul things that are hard on the bedliner like firewood, rocks, junk parts, trash, etc.....
Old 03-04-11, 09:22 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Just wanted to update this, your model did not have it, but the 4WD Auto is an option, which is essentially AWD. It enables the system to detect when to use 4wd and when not to, much like an AWD system. Ram added it as an option in 2009, rather than making it standard, because some people (like me) dont want computers doing everything. Also, if/when lift kits are installed, AWD systems can get very dicey. So rather than kill that section of the market, Dodge merely made it a low cost ($250) option.
Old 03-04-11, 09:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Just wanted to update this, your model did not have it, but the 4WD Auto is an option, which is essentially AWD. It enables the system to detect when to use 4wd and when not to, much like an AWD system. Ram added it as an option in 2009, rather than making it standard, because some people (like me) dont want computers doing everything. Also, if/when lift kits are installed, AWD systems can get very dicey. So rather than kill that section of the market, Dodge merely made it a low cost ($250) option.
Thanks for the update, Josh. I went over the specs carefully in the web-site when I did the review, and Dodge, at that time, either did not mention the Auto-4WD option, or it just got past me (yes, that sometimes happens). The impression got from the site was that it was the old-fashoned part-time 4WD without a center-differential. That, of course, was the system that was on the truck I drove.

The Silverado/Sierra has had that option for a number of years now, and, yes, it's about time that Ford and Dodge caught up. Of course, for strict, classic off-road work, the old-fashioned Part-Time 4WD works just fine (and it s less-complicated and easier to repair/service)....but many owners don't use their trucks that way anymore.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-04-11 at 10:19 PM.

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500