Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Etherea Concept

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-11, 07:28 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

looks like infiniti and mazda are competing to see who can make the swoopiest, waviest car
Old 02-14-11, 07:55 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack

I think we're not ready to accept a car with this kind of styling yet.

Seeing the evolution of automotive design, we may be ready to accept this in 10 years. But not now.

baby steps.
Ugly cars remain timeless; likewise elegant or beautiful cars remain timeless. Cars like the 1967 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 I think will always remain beautiful, even though such a design is over 40 years old.

Cars like the Citroen DS remain ugly even now. The car originally debuted in the 1950s, yet it's as ugly as ever looking at it today.

10 years from now, this goofy Infiniti concept will still look goofy.
Old 02-14-11, 10:28 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow, first the NIssan Puke and now the Infiniti Urethra. A FWD, Mercedes engine, Renault platform, Nissan interior car.
Source? I either missed it or didn't see any of that mentioned in the article.

And saying a Nissan Interior car is no different than saying a Toyota interior car when referring to a Lexus. Why point out the obvious?

Old 02-15-11, 06:30 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by S8B
Source? I either missed it or didn't see any of that mentioned in the article.

Its been previously mentioned
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ter-turbo.html

the new Infiniti coupe will employ a next-generation B-C-sized platform co-developed by Renault and Nissan that is also destined to form the basis of the next Nissan Tiida and Renault Megane. Taking on almost identical dimensions to that of the Mercedes CLC, the new luxury two-door will be powered by a Mercedes 1.8 liter, four-cylinder CGI turbo

Old 03-01-11, 09:05 AM
LexFather

Infiniti has taken the wraps off of its latest concept vehicle, the Etherea, at the Geneva motor show.

The Etherea is a FWD compact sedan coupe (4-seater) with a hybrid drivetrain similar to the Infiniti M35h, sporting the same single electric motor coupled to a twin clutch system design.

Powering the Etherea is a supercharged 2.5 liter, four-cylinder petrol engine with 245 PS (180 kW / 242 bhp) working in concert with an electric motor. Presiding over the transfer of power to the front wheels is a CVT.

The Etherea represents a first for Infiniti, being that it's a front-drive model. Also unique is the rear-hinged back doors and the absence of a B-pillar, all of which say 'concept' and not 'production'. The car measures 4.4 meters long.

The interior is a blend of premium cool and heritage design. A tech-themed dashboard that features dials radiating from the central tachometer is matched with the kimono-like piping on the seats and Inuyarai, vertical strips on the inside door panels, and a cabin trim called Kasane-Washi - a take on the Japanese parchment paper-style craft known as Washi.

Speaking of the concept, Infiniti's General Manager for Exploratory and Advanced Product, Francois Bancon, says:

"Etherea is not a stereotype. It is a little bit borderline. It is an expression of identity and personality. It adds new values, as well as conveying existing ones."

Read more: http://www.worldcarfans.com/11103013...#ixzz1FMu1GRf5

Old 03-01-11, 10:25 AM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're taking that weird grill the direction of Acura. FUGLY.
Originally Posted by knihc2008
Wow this car is going to be SO UGLY in production form.
Old 03-01-11, 10:35 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That is not the first front drive infiniti, apparently the writer is not aware of the G20 from the 90's.
Old 03-01-11, 10:55 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

I don't know what's worse, the car or the dresses those models are wearing.

Fire all the people in the styling department!
Old 03-01-11, 02:36 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

It looks like a penguin is winking at me...

Old 03-01-11, 03:20 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It looks like a penguin is winking at me...
[/IMG]

haha. I see it

this is one ugly car.

I thought it was an SUV, but looking at the models standing beside it, this is one small car....... with eyelashes in front.
Old 03-01-11, 04:46 PM
LexFather

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/20...nese-identity/
Infiniti Etherea: Doubling Down On Japanese Identity

By Dan Neil

Dan NeilInfiniti’s Etherea concept car is part of a broad program to strengthen the brand’s identity with more distinctive designs.
Etherea, as in “ethereal,” the PR bloke helpfully offers. That’s the name of Infiniti’s spectral strangeness of a concept car on the stand at this week’s Geneva auto show. It’s a C-segment, front-drive concept prefiguring an Infiniti of circa 2014, competing against the BMW 1-series and Audi A3. More than that, it’s a drafting board of ideas for a new visual identity.

Exterior design continues to bedevil the Japanese luxury car makers, who cannot seem to carve out some visual and psychic space in a segment defined by the Germans. Whereas the Germans seem to have won on the basis of a kind of brute grandeur – Audi’s grilles are getting so large they should be continued on the next car – the Japanese are still fiddling. Acura’s bucktooth grille, now in retreat, seems to want to gnaw down the nearest sapling. Lexus design language is all over the road, from the stunt-kite design of the LF-A to the cool laxity of the LS460.

Infiniti has worked hardest to build a visual identity all its own and has executed some decent looking cars – the new M, for instance. But Infiniti has several challenges, not the least of which is overlap with the mass-market Nissans. You have to be a pretty accomplished train-spotter to tell a Nissan Maxima from an Infiniti at a glance (the division now has its own design studio at Sugi). And for the past two years, Infiniti has been competing in the European market, utterly dominated by the Germans and unreceptive to Asian newbies. “There’s no point in building a Japanese 3-series,” says Wayne Bruce, Infiniti’s global communications director.
Infiniti’s strategy – embodied in the Etherea – is to double down on distinctively Japanese design, which is to say, to invoke the shapes and textures of traditional Japanese craftsmanship and artisanal aesthetics. We’ve seen some of these already, in the Samurai blade detailing of the grilles and in the Washi (rice paper) texturing of aluminum interior trim.

The Etherea goes all in. And so you have glowering eye and fierce brow of the Etherea’s headlamps, from Kabuki. The fuselage of the car is swept with a long, calligraphic-like brushstroke of a shoulder line. The mirrored arches of the grille are said to resemble a famous bridge in Tokyo, reflected in the water. The purple glow behind the grille is an attempt to recall the imperial color of Japan. The piping on the upholstery is the cording from a kimono.

Does it work? Well, these details are compelling – or at least, the narratives behind the detailing are, assuming you could convert that into something approaching car-buying desire – but the Etherea is a slagheap of over-thought design. Rule one for concept cars: They must look awesome. Seems simple enough.

I also have my doubts about the whole design as nationalism thing. Cars compete internationally, and the cues here are so culturally specific that they can only be explained, not apprehended. Meanwhile, there’s some bad faith at work. The Etherea will eventually be Infiniti’s first front-drive vehicle, and the swept lines are meant to convey the long-hood architecture of a rear-drive vehicle. It’s fraudulent, in other words.
Radical and intellectually ambitious, the Etherea’s successors may lead Infiniti out of the visual identity thicket. But the brand is not there yet.

Old 03-01-11, 05:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i thought usually concept cars look better than production @_@
Old 03-01-11, 05:20 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

did you guys notice the tag lines on the bottom????

it's missing diarrhea and diphtheria
Attached Thumbnails Infiniti Etherea Concept-urethra.jpg  
Old 03-01-11, 07:20 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

The problem is that there are some really good-looking ideas in this concept but it's just executed so badly and in a form with such bad proportions. I mean, it's essentially an Essence concept car (which was gorgeous) with its proportions messed around a bit and then stuck on a shorter high riding wheelbase. Change the proportions and fix the greenhouse and I think this might be a pretty good looking car. As it is though... bleh.

I wonder if the models ever think, "Damn we got stuck with the ugly one."
Old 03-01-11, 08:44 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I think I pretty much agree with this.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Etherea Concept