Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

lexus CT configurations...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-11, 01:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts
Red face lexus CT configurations...

so i went to the new lexus CT configuration page:

http://www.darkersideofgreen.com/showroom/

starting at 29,995 (incl. delivery) it says. hmm not bad.

looked through packages/options. don't want nav and don't want a moonroof. oh wait, you can only get heated seats (want) if you get a moonroof too. oh wait, i like the dynamic cruise option though, but, but it says you can't get that without adding premium audio AND navigation?
hmm... base doesn't have dimming rear view mirror or homelink? what is this, a kia?
so to add dimming rear view mirror you have to add moon roof / heated seats package first. that brings it up $2k even without leather. i doubt you could actually get this combo without special ordering anyway cuz lexus dealers almost never have cars without leather. so adding leather gets you:

CT with leather, moon roof, heated seats, dimming rear view mirror, and homelink for $34,230.

lexus/toyota bundling/constraints is challenging to say the least...
Old 02-08-11, 05:37 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah it is super difficult to get exactly what you want unless you special order it. But if you special order there wouldn't be much discount. So you have to make some compromises. I don't like sunroof or moonroof because I never open it but somehow all the cars in my household and cars we sold already have one. If one thousand dollars for each moonroof we could have saved at least five or six thousand dollars already. But still CT is one of the best looking sport wagons out there in my opinion, very sporty looking with a high tech looking interior, still worth the money I guess.
Old 02-08-11, 09:37 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I remember the days going shopping for a new car with my parents and the sales guy literally showed them a page of about 10 different AM/FM, AM/FM/Cassette deck options they could choose from. This was for a Honda Accord. You could even get the car without any radio at all. They days of customers getting exactly what they want is long gone.
Old 02-09-11, 05:26 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so i went to the new lexus CT configuration page:

http://www.darkersideofgreen.com/showroom/

starting at 29,995 (incl. delivery) it says. hmm not bad.

looked through packages/options. don't want nav and don't want a moonroof. oh wait, you can only get heated seats (want) if you get a moonroof too. oh wait, i like the dynamic cruise option though, but, but it says you can't get that without adding premium audio AND navigation?
hmm... base doesn't have dimming rear view mirror or homelink? what is this, a kia?
so to add dimming rear view mirror you have to add moon roof / heated seats package first. that brings it up $2k even without leather. i doubt you could actually get this combo without special ordering anyway cuz lexus dealers almost never have cars without leather. so adding leather gets you:

CT with leather, moon roof, heated seats, dimming rear view mirror, and homelink for $34,230.

lexus/toyota bundling/constraints is challenging to say the least...
No dimming mirror standard in any Lexus is ridiculous.
I bet there won't be any $29995 base CT's available.It's just a number.
The CT cost fully equipped is like the HS250's cost optioned out...too much for the car.
Old 02-09-11, 05:36 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The CT cost fully equipped is like the HS250's cost optioned out...too much for the car.
I concur. I think the 28 range would be a more reasonable spot for the CT.
Old 02-09-11, 07:48 AM
JessePS

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
You could even get the car without any radio at all. They days of customers getting exactly what they want is long gone.
Thats how it should be with Lexus. They want perfection and what not. Perfect it to the customers needs

Lexus needs to become more bespoke.

Anyways a fully equipped CT in Canada is C$41400.

Last edited by JessePS; 02-09-11 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-09-11, 08:05 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
Thats how it should be with Lexus. They want perfection and what not. Perfect it to the customers needs

Lexus needs to become more bespoke.
Agree with that but only within reason, and its very hard to draw that line on what is 'reasonable' sometimes.

Making a design-to-sales production line capabile of doing that has significant costs that would drive up the total cost of even the more basic models. You'd be seeing even more complaints about the higher vehicle cost. I don't want to pay extra for my car because two people want one without a stereo.

I'm OK with bundling options, but some of Bit's more commonly requested examples of upgrades should be things you should be able to get independent of stuff you might not want or need. Truly bespoke is taking it too far for most of Lexus' vehicles IMO (LFA and possibly LS excluded).
Old 02-09-11, 08:07 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was highly interested in the CT as a purchase later down the year but after seeing the pricing, it’s turned me right off. I can’t see how the car justifies the asking MSRP when it falls short by 10mpg to the Prius from the get-go…it’s really ridiculous to me. regardless of Lexus’ claim for it being “sporty” (0-60 in 10secs?, LoL) the selling point is the mpg figures and that is a big FAIL.

for a moderately equipped CT at $34k, this vehicle needed to match the Prius’ numbers in mpg…or at least somewhere close to it. being that it isn’t…I can only see it heading down the path the HS did in sales.
Old 02-09-11, 08:51 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Lexus took a page from the Germans' book on how to sell cars. Set the MSRP lower than the Japanese counterparts to undercut them, but then make the options ridiculous
Old 02-09-11, 09:48 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
Lexus took a page from the Germans' book on how to sell cars. Set the MSRP lower than the Japanese counterparts to undercut them, but then make the options ridiculous
But the Germans allow you to configure your car without necessarily having to pack on bundles/options you don't want. Custom ordering a car doesn't make your car cost more IME either (3 car purchases).

Like Dave said, your costs are more because of the different packages you can choose your car in.
Old 02-09-11, 09:49 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sad but true. I remember a co-worker talking about wanting a new 3-series back in 2001 or so. He was listing off the options he wanted and one was a CD player. I told him - "Really?? An option? My girlfriend's 2000 Focus SE has that standard!"
Old 02-09-11, 10:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by baddis es
for a moderately equipped CT at $34k, this vehicle needed to match the Prius’ numbers in mpg…or at least somewhere close to it. being that it isn’t…I can only see it heading down the path the HS did in sales.
the CT and Prius are totally different though. the CT will presumably be library quiet like most lexus' and that adds WEIGHT. i haven't checked the CT weight but i bet it's a lot higher than the prius. plus, everything about the prius was done to conserve weight and be aerodynamic. the CT, not so much. so expecting prius fuel economy in the CT is completely unrealistic.

but that's just it, Lexus doesn't offer much 'options' they offer a tangle of packages with a couple of 'options' that require one or more expensive packages. it is highly inflexible.
Old 02-09-11, 10:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Truly bespoke is taking it too far for most of Lexus' vehicles IMO (LFA and possibly LS excluded).
exactly right. for a Bentley (or LFA), sure, but for a lexus, not going to happen, although in Japan they do seem to offer that additional wide array of interior trims and finishes, but maybe that's possible because they make 'em 'down the road'
Old 02-09-11, 11:46 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the CT and Prius are totally different though. the CT will presumably be library quiet like most lexus' and that adds WEIGHT. i haven't checked the CT weight but i bet it's a lot higher than the prius. plus, everything about the prius was done to conserve weight and be aerodynamic. the CT, not so much. so expecting prius fuel economy in the CT is completely unrealistic.
Curb Weight
Prius: 3042
CT200h: 3130

ohh, this much I do understand…but really, are all these factors enough to diminish 10mpg for the CT? I would still be happy if the CT dropped 5mpg to the Prius, but a whole 10mpg’s?

I can high-rev on my next tank of gas and doubt I would lose 10mpg from my more conservative driving now…

I guess in the end, I was just expecting so much more from this vehicle to make me excited about purchasing it later this year. all the releasing factors hasn’t kept that enthusiasm going and has only left me with disappointment and not even giving it much consideration anymore.

as I said in the CT forum, I still plan to give it a good review and maybe that may sway some disappointment…but that sticker on the window is surely going to shoot it right back up!

time to hunt the lots for a certified HS…probably hard pressed to find a loaded one in the $30k range too
Old 02-09-11, 12:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by baddis es
Curb Weight
Prius: 3042
CT200h: 3130

ohh, this much I do understand…but really, are all these factors enough to diminish 10mpg for the CT? I would still be happy if the CT dropped 5mpg to the Prius, but a whole 10mpg’s?

I can high-rev on my next tank of gas and doubt I would lose 10mpg from my more conservative driving now…

I guess in the end, I was just expecting so much more from this vehicle to make me excited about purchasing it later this year. all the releasing factors hasn’t kept that enthusiasm going and has only left me with disappointment and not even giving it much consideration anymore.

as I said in the CT forum, I still plan to give it a good review and maybe that may sway some disappointment…but that sticker on the window is surely going to shoot it right back up!

time to hunt the lots for a certified HS…probably hard pressed to find a loaded one in the $30k range too
thats just EPA mpg ... actual numbers will be close to Prius... CTh doesnt have the aero of base prius with 15" wheels.

on the other hand, in europe, where 15" wheels are available on both CTh and Prius, they have almost the same mileage.

In US, you get only 17" CTh, and mpg for Prius is for lower weight model with 15" wheels.

Quick Reply: lexus CT configurations...