tires made from mostly orange oil instead of crude... - Club Lexus Forums

Log In 

tires made from mostly orange oil instead of crude...

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-07-11, 09:29 AM   #1
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
 
bagwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: back in Denver
Posts: 8,759
Default tires made from mostly orange oil instead of crude...

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/e-spec.aspx

I wonder what it smells like when you light'em up? LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
tires made from mostly orange oil instead of crude...-orange.jpg  

Last edited by bagwell; 02-07-11 at 09:34 AM.
bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-11, 10:30 AM   #2
bad co
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Ridge IL
Posts: 2,485
Default

Light a orange peel up and see what happens
bad co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-11, 11:27 AM   #3
ABC
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 1,319
Default

I wonder if they use "old" or "used" oranges... or if this is goign to be like ethanol and using our food for fuel.
ABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-11, 02:58 PM   #4
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
iTrader: (18)
 
bitkahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Present
Posts: 49,024
Default

could be good for florida.
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-11, 02:58 PM   #5
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: tech capital
Posts: 14,100
Default

sweeeet, I guess.
IS-SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-11, 03:12 PM   #6
DustinV
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Stuttgart
Posts: 1,651
Default

This is somewhat off-topic, but there was an interesting documentary on TV yesterday about how some manufacturers, notably Audi, Porsche, Volkswagen and Mercedes create their interior plastics out of maize starch mixed with other renewable resources. The process is apparently quite environmentally friendly and uses less energy in contrast to the industry standard of relying on crude oil to create plastics.
DustinV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-11, 03:59 PM   #7
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
 
bagwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: back in Denver
Posts: 8,759
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS-SV View Post
sweeeet, I guess.
some are, some aren't
bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-11, 06:50 PM   #8
spwolf
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 18,138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinV View Post
This is somewhat off-topic, but there was an interesting documentary on TV yesterday about how some manufacturers, notably Audi, Porsche, Volkswagen and Mercedes create their interior plastics out of maize starch mixed with other renewable resources. The process is apparently quite environmentally friendly and uses less energy in contrast to the industry standard of relying on crude oil to create plastics.
http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/environme...special02.html
spwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 12:33 AM   #9
Jetfire
Royale with cheese
iTrader: (3)
 
Jetfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,098
Default

burnouts never smelled so good.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 05:52 AM   #10
geko29
Oil Burner
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: IL
Posts: 3,433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMut View Post
I wonder if they use "old" or "used" oranges... or if this is goign to be like ethanol and using our food for fuel.
Citrus oil is in the rind, so the ideal situation would be buying the waste skins from a company like Tropicana that wants to harvest the juice.
geko29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 07:54 AM   #11
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: tech capital
Posts: 14,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwell View Post
some are, some aren't
I won't be tasting my tires to know for sure.
IS-SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 12:55 PM   #12
ekc
Pole Position
iTrader: (6)
 
ekc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
Citrus oil is in the rind, so the ideal situation would be buying the waste skins from a company like Tropicana that wants to harvest the juice.
Good use of an otherwise waste product.
ekc is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:39 PM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved