Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Mercedes S-Class spied in Germany

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-11, 12:38 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I disagree; I really dislike the current generation simply because of those ridiculous wheel arches. I can already tell the next-gen model will be better-looking.

you really can't tell anything from these camo pics. It's just a bland-*** car.

but i'm guessing they'll carry over similar character lines from the E class and CLS, specifically those rear fender haunches.
oh, and the upright massive ugly grille.
Old 02-04-11, 12:59 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
you really can't tell anything from these camo pics. It's just a bland-*** car.

but i'm guessing they'll carry over similar character lines from the E class and CLS, specifically those rear fender haunches.
oh, and the upright massive ugly grille.
You can't tell any styling details, you're correct. However, even with the camo, it looks as though the wheel arches are definitely gone or are much smaller. Plus, the camo does not hide the overall shape/profile of the car or the window line, which is a bit different than the current model. The grille does look more upright as well.

I think styling will be a mix of CLS and E Class cues.
Old 02-04-11, 03:35 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

The most fuel-efficient S class on the market now is the 4-cylinder S250 CDI. It gets 5.7 l per 100 km which translate into roughly 41 mpg.

I've only read a handful of reviews about the car, but the driver remarked how this S250 CDI feels more agile and faster than his late 1960s Mercedes 300SEL 6.3 sedan - which was the fastest sedan in the world in its day.

One thing that struck me as interesting was how none of the drivers felt the car was in any way underpowered. Although I've not driven the car, and most likely never will, with so much torque on tap and intelligent gearing, I pretty much expected the S250 CDI to perform quite well.
Old 02-04-11, 04:25 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I can't tell anything from those pics but what I do know is the S-class is boss. Period.
But the Lexus LS is King IMO, I know many will disagree.

I know top end AMG's rule, but that's irrelevant to me because that doesn't represent the core market in which these cars sell, just a tiny niche.

Give me a LS460 over an S550 any day.

Originally Posted by DustinV
The most fuel-efficient S class on the market now is the 4-cylinder S250 CDI. It gets 5.7 l per 100 km which translate into roughly 41 mpg....
Imagine a 4-banger S-Class in the US? LOL

Americans would never stand for that. Even a 6 cylinder in an S-Class is embarrassing to this market. Not really my opinion but that of the general public.
Old 02-04-11, 05:46 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DustinV
The most fuel-efficient S class on the market now is the 4-cylinder S250 CDI. It gets 5.7 l per 100 km which translate into roughly 41 mpg.

I've only read a handful of reviews about the car, but the driver remarked how this S250 CDI feels more agile and faster than his late 1960s Mercedes 300SEL 6.3 sedan - which was the fastest sedan in the world in its day.

One thing that struck me as interesting was how none of the drivers felt the car was in any way underpowered. Although I've not driven the car, and most likely never will, with so much torque on tap and intelligent gearing, I pretty much expected the S250 CDI to perform quite well.
Lol okay
But virtually any car today is faster than a car from forty years ago

Originally Posted by J-P-L

Americans would never stand for that. Even a 6 cylinder in an S-Class is embarrassing to this market. Not really my opinion but that of the general public.
Personally, a 6-cylinder S class (or any full-size luxury/premium vehicle) is the bare minimum.

For me, the S280/S300 is a minimum. I would most likely never settle for anything less than that.

Old 02-04-11, 08:46 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-

I'm pretty sure my father would buy one if it were offered in the US. You're getting a Mercedes S class with a more efficient engine, that's all. Back in the early 1980s my father drove a 300SD Turbodiesel, which was a 5-cylinder engine, and he loved it. It remained in my family until it was stolen in the early '90s.

There are many people in the market that want a luxury car but aren't craving performance. If they can obtain a luxury car that's nicely equipped and has an efficient motor, they'll go for it. I doubt this S class will make it over, but I think Mercedes is introducing their V6 diesel S class in the US pretty soon.
Old 02-04-11, 08:50 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blackraven
But virtually any car today is faster than a car from forty years ago
Of course cars today are going to be quicker, there's no question about that.

The only difference is that the 300SEL 6.3 was the top-of-the-line S class back in its day. The S250 CDI is the entry-level S class in Europe. The performance of the S250 CDI seems to be quite satisfactory anyway.

If I were in the market for an S class, I think the S250 CDI is pretty appealing. I'm getting a nice car with tons of features and an efficient engine. It's what I want. I don't care about performance in the slightest. I don't care about the guy in the V6 Camry next to me at the light who wants to race (that's pretty childish anyway). I buy my cars for my needs and don't care what anyone else thinks.
Old 02-04-11, 08:52 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
But the Lexus LS is King IMO, I know many will disagree.

I know top end AMG's rule, but that's irrelevant to me because that doesn't represent the core market in which these cars sell, just a tiny niche.

Give me a LS460 over an S550 any day.
They both have their ups and downs.

The S550 drivers better, its a lot more confidence inspiring at high rates of speeds. Its engine feels torquer.

LS on the other hand is far better made, with much better interior, much more elegant looking, with better controls, etc.

If it was my money, I'd put it on the LS, especially if buying a slightly used one.

Lets wait and see what this new S class looks like. Hopefully the new LS will be introduced soon as well.
Old 02-04-11, 09:06 AM
LexFather

I buy a S-class to be boss, not to be a gas miser. Otherwise if I want a Benz and want to be a miser I'll get this. Thoughts of a 4 cylinder S-class make me want to puke.

Go big or go home

Old 02-04-11, 09:27 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

^^^ A diesel 4 cylinder none the less
Old 02-04-11, 10:18 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Go big or go home

V12 FTW!
Old 02-04-11, 10:25 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES

V12 FTW!
S63 would be my top choice for the S class AMG instead of the V12 S65.
Old 02-04-11, 10:25 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

V12 FTW!
Here here.

Four cylinder diesel S-class is for pussies. When it comes to mercedes benz, AMG is where it's at *****es

You gotta be pimp and bad-*** to get in the game
Old 02-04-11, 10:29 AM
LexFather

V12 FTW!
Bingo

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
S63 would be my top choice for the S class AMG instead of the V12 S65.
S63 is still boss
Originally Posted by Blackraven
Here here.

Four cylinder diesel S-class is for pussies. When it comes to mercedes benz, AMG is where it's at *****es

You gotta be pimp and bad-*** to get in the game
lol!!! I mean seriously, a 4 cylinder S-class. Its like the girl you perceive to have big uns but its a push-up bra

(watches as Lexus will probably debut a 4 cylinder LS in the future lol)

Old 02-04-11, 10:31 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

lol!!! I mean seriously, a 4 cylinder S-class. Its like the girl you perceive to have big uns but its a push-up bra
Don't you hate when that happens? Such a wtf moment

Quick Reply: 2013 Mercedes S-Class spied in Germany