Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

07 997 GT3 or 07 911 turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-11, 05:09 PM
DiauR1
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 997 GT3 or 07 911 turbo?

Hello everyone, my wife and I are trading in our 2006 350z for either one and we would like to hear your opinion and feedback of each vehicle. Both vehicles are in the same price range. The wife will be driving our ISF and the porsche is also used as a DD. We dont do track days but who knows in the future.
I know the turbo has tons of tq for DD and who can not love the screaming sound of the gt3.......
Old 02-01-11, 05:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

for DD and no track, i would go with turbo. the gt3 is a screaming machine, and it's also a stripped down one too. louder interior, less insulation, it's just more "raw". turbo is a better everyday car between the two imho
Old 02-01-11, 05:14 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cannot beat the feeling of the GT3, some people use as a DD and say they are fine, others say the GT3 as a DD is just to rough

Drive both and pull the trigger
Old 02-01-11, 05:14 PM
DiauR1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
for DD and no track, i would go with turbo. the gt3 is a screaming machine, and it's also a stripped down one too. louder interior, less insulation, it's just more "raw". turbo is a better everyday car between the two imho
maintanence wise, would the gt3 be more reliable because its N/A?
Old 02-01-11, 05:56 PM
rai
Lead Lap

IMHO, I would rather have a GT3 but not as a DD.

I have driven both turbo and GT3 and far prefer the GT3 and can say it's one of my best rated cars to drive. I especially like it's connected to the car feel. Not a lot of isolation from the road. It's fun and fast. However I would not own one if it was going to be a sole DD. If you say you have another car for winter or some boring HW comute or rainy days than I think the GT3 is one of the best second cars.

The turbo is a great all around comfortable GT-like car (not a raw sports car like the GT3). I did not drive an 07, was a 2004 or 05 I drove. But it was quite boring. Yes it was fast but was not much fun, as you could drive it quite fast on a b-road and it didn't really feel like it was going that fast. The car did everything you want to, but it felt like I was just on for the ride not like I was driving. for year round rain or shine the turbo is a better do it all car but not anywhere near as much fun.

I also like my M3 which (I think) is somewhere in between, it's not as raw as the GT3 but not as planted to the road like the Turbo. I don't mean to put the turbo down, but the AWD (I think) makes it overall very good and safe but not as able to get it to push the rear out (which I think makes a car fun at times) and part of the reason RWD for fun driving.

How much are these cars going for?
Old 02-01-11, 06:06 PM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

dd=turbo, weekend toy=gt3. drive them back to back and you will see why. i actually think a regular carrera is more fun to drive (handling) than the turbo. however, if youre more into straight line power, cant beat the turbo.
Old 02-01-11, 06:17 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

other bonus is the 07 gt3 has been hanging into value very well and the rs even better
Old 02-01-11, 07:30 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I am starting to notice a trend here. Turbo pleases all except people that the GT3 is made for.
Old 02-01-11, 07:37 PM
DiauR1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by J.P.
other bonus is the 07 gt3 has been hanging into value very well and the rs even better
the 07 gt3 and the 07 turbo are both in the range of $75,000-85,000....similar price with the 2010 GTR which was my initial selection. After reading numerous transmission defect (a few under 10,000 miles) we didnt want to risk the chance especially after the warranty expires.

There are numerous 911 turbo for sale with only a handful of gt3 after doing weeks of researching. I dont mind using the gt3 as a dd because my business is literally less than 10 miles away and the weather condition in Williamsburg isnt as harsh compared to other states...

thanks for everyones feedback
Old 02-02-11, 01:13 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

get both .......................................
Old 02-02-11, 05:31 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

For DD, +1... GT3 will grind on you daily, but sure is fun

Seems like you've made you decision tho... can't go wrong!!!
Old 02-02-11, 11:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
For DD, +1... GT3 will grind on you daily, but sure is fun

Seems like you've made you decision tho... can't go wrong!!!
yeah, i love the gt3, the raw power and the philosophy behind the car. just now sure if i want to drive it every day to work
Old 02-02-11, 12:21 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I'd do the Turbo, ideally with a long factory-backed warranty.
Old 02-02-11, 12:23 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

yeah, i love the gt3, the raw power and the philosophy behind the car. just now sure if i want to drive it every day to work
I also wouldn't want a GT3 for a DD. Fun car yes, but if it's going to be a DD I have to have Tip or PDK....since the wife can't drive a stick and I have no interest in teaching her in cars of this level and power.

I wonder if she'll let me have a fun, track toy that she can't drive.
Old 02-02-11, 01:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I also wouldn't want a GT3 for a DD. Fun car yes, but if it's going to be a DD I have to have Tip or PDK....since the wife can't drive a stick and I have no interest in teaching her in cars of this level and power.

I wonder if she'll let me have a fun, track toy that she can't drive.
hehehhee, i think i am lucky that my wife said the m3 has to be 6mt

Quick Reply: 07 997 GT3 or 07 911 turbo?