Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

car shipping?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-11, 11:00 PM
driftfx1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car shipping?

anyone shipped on trailer before... if so any good places.... seems i need to ship a car from south carolina to pearland tx... lmk
Old 01-30-11, 04:31 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The dealer arranged shipping for my car. I wish I would have arranged it myself as I probably could have had enclosed shipping with a reliable schedule for the price I paid for an open trailer, a vague delivery schedule, and (likely) an extra dent.

Decide if the car is worth an enclosed trailer or if you can accept open. Do a search here and on other enthusiast forums like corvetteforum.com to get shipper names. "Reliable" is one company that comes to mind. Try to deal with an actual trucking company rather than one that just arranges shipping with independent truckers. Some folks have reported good results with FedEx, who probably hires independent truckers but does a good job screening the independents and tracking the shipments. Heck, watch a few episodes of "Chasing Classic Cars" on cable and you'll get the names of 3-4 auto shipping companies from the companies he uses.

Good luck and be sure to post pics.
Old 01-30-11, 06:04 AM
TOPSECRTIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have shipped 3 cars through Honesty First Auto Transport and they are awesome. Ask for Nicole, she is extremely helpful. She can explain the whole broker / transporter / central dispatch relationship.
Old 01-30-11, 06:16 AM
TOPSECRTIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

In a nutshell the broker (Honest First Auto Transport) will give you a quote for say $400 to ship your car.

$100 of that is the broker fee which is paid upfront to Honesty First Auto Transport to reserve the carrier.

Then your car is put up on the central dispatch board for $300 and different carriers have the choice to pickup your car. If the broker gives you a crazy low price for the move, it will sit on the board for a long time until there is nothing else to choose from. Why would they want to move your car for $200 when they can move another the same distance for $300.

So they ask you when you need the car by and they will figure what a good price is to get it moved in time. I had a car shipped for IL to FL and it was $600 and it was there in 2 weeks, I had a car shipped from TX to FL and it was $400 and so on.

Then when the carrier arrives with your car, you pay the balance in cash, ie the $300.

I was a newb to auto shipping and Honesty First showed me the ropes. I'm sure other members have had good/bad experiences with auto shippers so lets hope they chime in. This is just my $.02.

-Ryan
Old 01-30-11, 10:45 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I used Plycon Van lines to do cross country delivery of my old car: http://plycongroup.com/ Great service and prices back then. I was extremely happy with them.
Old 01-30-11, 12:25 PM
SRI
Rookie

transportreviews dot com .

This website contains customer reviews of auto transport companies, and a variety of search options
Old 01-30-11, 02:57 PM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Moving

I used Enclosed Vehicle Transport. Outstanding service
Old 01-30-11, 08:13 PM
ISThree
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Select 1 Transport

this is where your car will be in
Old 02-01-11, 02:13 PM
ekc
Pole Position

Lots of good information here. I'll definitely save this thread for future use.

I always use Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS) for quoting purposes. They have an online quotation system which gives you some rate ideas.
Old 02-01-11, 09:16 PM
driftfx1
Rookie

Well my uncle picked up the car for me got it in a day lol
Old 02-01-11, 09:34 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

Originally Posted by ISThree
Select 1 Transport

this is where your car will be in
if my car is gna b in that, id go with this... hopefully they ship fast along with their protected shipping truck
Old 02-01-11, 09:50 PM
driftfx1
Rookie

fyi but if u want to ship a car believe me don't leave ur cell phone number... i had about 30 calls a day different ppl **** was insane and they were persistent... use email only and or call them personally
Old 02-06-11, 09:16 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ekc
Lots of good information here. I'll definitely save this thread for future use.

I always use Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS) for quoting purposes. They have an online quotation system which gives you some rate ideas.

I have used DAS enclosed service before, one carrier from start to finish, no handing off like footballs.
Old 11-06-11, 12:47 PM
JoanD
Driver School Candidate

I shipped my car from Germany to Russia with a APS - it provides international trucking services. They are pretty good - cheap and fast...

Last edited by JoanD; 05-19-13 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-06-11, 01:48 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

watch out,some brokers will sub out to a crap wagon.when they get paid they dont care who ships your car.mine was shipped buy a russian owned company and no preinspection and 500 dollars worth of damage.the shippers contract is iron clad.they are not resposible for anything,remember its shipper beware.when you sign a broker they make it sound like they care and they only deal with proven shippers ,dont believe any of it.when i found out who they contracted to pick up my car i googled the shippers company and it had a poor rating from the better business bureau.they dont respond to complaints.if you can drive it to where it needs to go.was a factory spoiler there and i had to replace the windshield.if this name is on the side of the truck (advanced car carrier corporation) your screwed.
Attached Thumbnails car shipping?-pb160019.jpg  

Last edited by jimbosr1; 11-06-11 at 02:04 PM.