Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Five machines mechanics hate, five cars mechanics love

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-11, 08:30 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Five machines mechanics hate, five cars mechanics love

Intersting article.

http://autos.ca.msn.com/specials/buy...entid=27350372
Old 01-24-11, 08:34 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

You could've at least posted the story here instead of doing a link......
Old 01-24-11, 08:38 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

That article and list is complete crap to add to my initial post.
It is the opposite a rational person would expect out of a list like this.

So they LOVE the cars that come in for service because they generate revenue? How about asking real mechanics how much they HATE working on German cars? That list is a disaster.

Dealerships and independent repair shops LOVE those cars because they're obviously good for business, being so unreliable. Mechanics hate them.
Old 01-24-11, 08:40 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

interesting list.. A lot of ToMoCo in the hate list
Old 01-24-11, 08:46 AM
LexFather

Here you go. I copied the luxury brands explanations. Crazy but Jaguar in EVO/CAR/Top Gear in long term tests has been horrid. They constantly complain about issues and the XKR-R is not working and the XJ had the windshield wiper fly off in the rain!

I think yall are confusing it. Mechanics LOVE those cars b/c they get paid to fix them whereas with the hate list, they never see them and can't make any money on repairs.

Mechanics love

Mini Cooper
BMW 135
Consumer Reports dependability rating: 100 per cent below average
The red flag for the BMW 1 Series is the fuel system. In fact, all BMWs with the 3.0-liter twin-turbo inline-six scored poorly. The 135i earned its twice-the-average score by also having electrical, brake and body problems. Eugene Lee, who works at SP Engineering, a repair shop in Southern California, leased a BMW with the twin-turbo six and had to make four trips to the dealership to have a fuel-pump switch replaced while it was under warranty. That is three trips too many, in his opinion.
E-class coupe
Consumer Reports dependability rating: 100 per cent below average
The Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe was hurt by poor showings in the engine fuel system, body hardware/fit and power equipment categories of the Consumer Reports survey. And it had a whopping 50 service bulletins in Hansville Repair's database. For comparison, the dependable Toyota Yaris had nine, most of them for pre-sale dealership procedures, touch-up paint, squeaks and tire pressure.
Audi A6 3.0t
Consumer Reports dependability ratings: 142 per cent below average
The Audi A6 3.0T suffered in the engine cooling categories, scored poorly in the body and power equipment categories of the Consumer Reports survey, and ended up a scant one per centage point from rock bottom. "Cars in trouble have the potential to stay in trouble," says Allen Otto of Hansville Repair, a small, rural repair shop in Washington state's Puget Sound region, "which is good for independent European specialty shops that have the proprietary tools to make money on the repairs. The more high-end and exclusive the car, the more high-end, exclusive and expensive the repair."
Jaguar XF

Larger image
Photo: Justin Couture

Consumer Reports dependability rating: 143 per cent below average
The Jaguar XF is the biggest loser here, scoring nearly 2.5 times worse than the average in the Consumer Reports rankings. The Jag's scores suffered because of substantial transmission, drive line and electrical problems. It also scored poorly in the body integrity (noise) and power equipment categories. While the XF does not represent a big chunk of the market - only a few hundred are expected to be sold this year in Canada - its poor showing is sure to get shop owners licking their chops.

Mechanics hate

Toyota Yaris
Scion xD
Honda Fit
Honda CR-V
Lexus LX 570
Consumer Reports dependability rating: 60 per cent above average
When it comes to luxury SUVs, the Lexus LX 570 has only 40 per cent of the problems experienced by other vehicles. It has the advantage of Toyota's tradition of reliability coupled with the higher expectations inherent in the Lexus brand. Jotech's Tran says the overall attention to detail from design to the production line, and the use of tried-and-proven component systems are the reasons this Lexus is the scourge of wrenches far and wide.

Old 01-24-11, 09:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

A interesting article, but probably doesn't tell us much more of what we already know about auto reliability. The most reliable cars are relatively simple Japanese designs (except for the complex LX570, and the most unreliable are upmarket, European-designs. European designs also often have unreliable or defect-prone electrical components and wiring.
Old 01-24-11, 09:06 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

the use of tried-and-proven component systems are the reasons this Lexus is the scourge of wrenches far and wide.
Therein lies the main reason Japanese vehicles tend to be more reliable. They find components that are reliable and stick with them. What they lack in cutting edge technology they make up for in tried and tested.
Old 01-24-11, 09:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think yall are confusing it. Mechanics LOVE those cars b/c they get paid to fix them whereas with the hate list, they never see them and can't make any money on repairs.
True, but that also depends on how the shops those mechanics/technicians work for are run. Some shop owners simply pay each one a flat salary no matter how many vehicles they work on, or for what reasons. Others pay by the number of vehicles they work on and/or type of repair it is. Many shops use a standard repair-guide-book that suggests X-number of labor-hours a typical repair will need, such as an alternator replacement, timing belt, wheel bearing, etc..... and charge the customer that rate no matter how many hours or minutes the mechanic actually spends working on the car. Different auto manufacturers also (probably) have different rates at which they reimburse dealerships for the warranty work they do. And, last, it must be kept in mind (and the article doesn't say this) that while mechanics may "love" complex, upmarket Euro-designs because of their tendency to have defects, actually getting to some of those problems underhood can be a real PITA for them because of the way the underhood compartments are designed....super-tight fits, big plastic engine/component covers that hide everything, and little or no room to actually reach anything or to access components. The simple Japanese designs in the article may not break down as often, but when they do need something, it is usually easy to get to. That is why, in my auto reviews, I usually describe the underhood-layout, how well it is laid-out, and how easy or difficult it is to reach things.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-24-11 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-24-11, 09:26 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting perspective (from mechanics/shopowners) and viewpoint of what's already known about reliability of certain cars.
Old 01-24-11, 11:25 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So...all the cars I'm interested in/would want to own on that list will break down all the time...great...
Old 01-24-11, 01:07 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
You could've at least posted the story here instead of doing a link......
If you're too lazy to click the link go elsewhere to read. (I have no idea how to link a slide show....no need to be a richard.)

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Apparently reading comprehension needs some work. Thanks Mike!
Old 01-24-11, 01:12 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
If you're too lazy to click the link go elsewhere to read. (I have no idea how to link a slide show....no need to be a richard.)
Yes I was wondering about being a "richard-cranium"....

Fun article.
Old 01-24-11, 02:00 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can vouch for mechanic's hatred for the Toyota Yaris. Yesterday, I passed 100,000 miles on my S sedan and the car has had nothing but oil changes done. Everything looks, runs, drives, and feels like new. I feel that it's the most trouble free car in history, in part due to its simplicity.

Some may also remember the Yaris that did well over 400,000 miles with nothing but an alternator replacement.

Here's my dash...

Old 01-24-11, 02:03 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a former tech with Lexus, Audi, jaguar and Nissan, I can say I loved the Japanese cars because they were a money maker. All we had to do was regular maintenance which paid reall well. It's e German cars we hate because they are so hard to work on that we always lost money on them. Give me timing belt services on Lexus cars all day long!
Old 01-24-11, 05:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
As a former tech with Lexus, Audi, jaguar and Nissan, I can say I loved the Japanese cars because they were a money maker. All we had to do was regular maintenance which paid reall well. It's e German cars we hate because they are so hard to work on that we always lost money on them. Give me timing belt services on Lexus cars all day long!
indeed, i thought article would be on how hard is to work on cars... and Toyota's are notoriously easy to work on while ze germans are freaking nightmare... i used to own alarm install shop, and dear god please do not send us bmw/MB/audi!

Quick Reply: Five machines mechanics hate, five cars mechanics love