Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

McLaren prices MP4-12C at $229,000

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-09, 12:38 AM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

It doesn't really scream supercar at me.

Oh, and I think this takes second for the worst name or most confusing..... "Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 Spyder"
Old 09-09-09, 02:30 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car looks great!
Old 09-09-09, 03:40 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kind of name is that?
Old 09-09-09, 04:33 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LF-A will have more torque than this from NA engine.
I am just saying
Old 09-09-09, 06:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

looks like F360 sorta.
Old 09-09-09, 07:42 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I like it, & I don't care what they call it ...
Old 09-09-09, 08:47 AM
LexFather

Old 09-09-09, 08:50 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UDel
Looks very plain and kind of frumpy for a quarter million dollar supercar, it does not even really have mid engined proportions and looks more like a cross between the Hyundai Genesis coupe and the new Lotus v6 sports car(forgot the name). Interior is very boring and uninspired. Car will probably perform well but does not look anywhere near as nice or striking as the new Ferrari 458 Italia coming out. Have not really read too much about this car, wonder if Gordon Murry was involved with this car.
lol wut..........

Old 09-09-09, 11:01 AM
MelF1fan
Driver

This car was never meant to succeed the Iconic F1. An F1 replacement is rumored to be in the works currently.

The MP4 designation is linked to their formula one car designations which started in the early 80's.

A bit of history - The actual Mclaren MP4-12 was their formula one car used in 1997 driven by Mika Hakkinen and David Coultard. Hakkinen, who eventually became a 2 time world champion was to acheive his first F1 win in this car.

I do think the MP4-12C designation is a bit much for a road car though. Maybe they should have just stuck to 'MP4' instead. The "C" suggests that there could be a cabrio variant.

I do think it's a bit generic but i'm sure opinions will change with more 'real world' pictures and when seen in the "flesh".

The big news with this car is it's supposed 'single piece' Carbon tub thats supposed to weigh just 176 pounds. The mlcaren's performance should be quite competitive with other new offerings.

It's a good time to enjoy all these new performance machines:

Mclaren Mp4-12C
Ferrari 458 italia
Mercedes SLS
LEXUS LFA
New Lotus Espirit
upcoming Lambo Murcielago replacement
New BMW mid engined sports car (though this will be more an R8 competitor
Old 09-09-09, 01:39 PM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was gonna say. This car doesn't even come close to the iconic F1 in styling. So they are developing the new F1 model???
They have got to produce a killer car to hang in the exotic car club now.
New Ferrari, New lambo, LF A, GTR, & Porsche world. Not to mention Aston martin Vanquish etc. blah blah blah.

Last edited by PAULGS430; 09-09-09 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-09-09, 02:18 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

where is the trademark 3 seats? One in front, 2 in back, until they get that right its just another supercar, nothing more.
Old 09-09-09, 04:33 PM
MelF1fan
Driver

It's been well documented since the first reports of this project then known as the 'P11' that it was not a successor to the million dollar F1, that this car was to compete at performance and price points of the F430, Gallardo etc.

I'm sure many of us that read car blog sites can recall this as this was mainly due to economics and world economy in general. And with the Mclaren / Mercedes road car partnership ending (SLR) Mclaren wants to start to produce a line of it's own cars. So if the car is successfull they may look into expanding the range with possibly a halo car to Truly replace the F1.

FYI, there are reports that Gordon Murray, ex Mclaren F1 designer (and F1 race car designer), is looking to design his own car that is a successor to the F1. He has since left Mclaren and started his own design consultancy firm and is supposed to release a small city car like the smart for two
Old 09-09-09, 04:59 PM
LexFather

Correct just think of it as a Mclaren and not a replacement for anything.

He is working on his city car he says will revolutionize cars. Of course since it doesn't make 700 hp, I haven't seen one thread on it anywhere.
http://www.reuters.com/article/press...09+PRN20090227
http://www.gizmag.com/gordon-murray-...nterior/12721/

Possible

Old 09-09-09, 09:49 PM
MelF1fan
Driver

Yep, i was gonna look for a pic of that car haha.

There's your center driving position on a budget.

Looks like a clever way to maximize interior space.
Old 09-09-09, 11:40 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Here are some more specific specs, based on this Edmunds article:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...leId=156967#44

The engine is supposedly built by Cosworth. If that is true, I would worry about reliability problems, as Cosworth has quite a reputation in that department.

Top speed is reported to be 220 mph, roughly the same top speed that the LF A is supposed to have. Very interesting.

The paddle shifters turn with the steering wheel; they don't remain stationary like in the LF A or in Ferrari models.

Originally Posted by MelF1fan
This car was never meant to succeed the Iconic F1. An F1 replacement is rumored to be in the works currently.

The MP4 designation is linked to their formula one car designations which started in the early 80's.

A bit of history - The actual Mclaren MP4-12 was their formula one car used in 1997 driven by Mika Hakkinen and David Coultard. Hakkinen, who eventually became a 2 time world champion was to acheive his first F1 win in this car.

I do think the MP4-12C designation is a bit much for a road car though. Maybe they should have just stuck to 'MP4' instead. The "C" suggests that there could be a cabrio variant.

I do think it's a bit generic but i'm sure opinions will change with more 'real world' pictures and when seen in the "flesh".

The big news with this car is it's supposed 'single piece' Carbon tub thats supposed to weigh just 176 pounds. The mlcaren's performance should be quite competitive with other new offerings.

It's a good time to enjoy all these new performance machines:

Mclaren Mp4-12C
Ferrari 458 italia
Mercedes SLS
LEXUS LFA
New Lotus Espirit
upcoming Lambo Murcielago replacement
New BMW mid engined sports car (though this will be more an R8 competitor
Originally Posted by MelF1fan
It's been well documented since the first reports of this project then known as the 'P11' that it was not a successor to the million dollar F1, that this car was to compete at performance and price points of the F430, Gallardo etc.

I'm sure many of us that read car blog sites can recall this as this was mainly due to economics and world economy in general. And with the Mclaren / Mercedes road car partnership ending (SLR) Mclaren wants to start to produce a line of it's own cars. So if the car is successfull they may look into expanding the range with possibly a halo car to Truly replace the F1.

FYI, there are reports that Gordon Murray, ex Mclaren F1 designer (and F1 race car designer), is looking to design his own car that is a successor to the F1. He has since left Mclaren and started his own design consultancy firm and is supposed to release a small city car like the smart for two
I don't know if it is true for sure, but Edmunds claims that this is supposed to succeed the McLaren F1.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention, the man who designed this new McLaren is an ex-Ferrari designer.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 09-10-09 at 01:07 AM.

Quick Reply: McLaren prices MP4-12C at $229,000