Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Minimum Price To Finance (In House, Bank or Loan)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-11, 06:42 AM
oinkus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Incredible
Well, regarding my MPG.

I first filled 19 gallons of gas, and then added 3 more gallons, and finally 8 more gallons after that (it could be give or take a gallon)

With 29-31 gallons of gas, I was able to drive 658.7 miles, which translates to 22.71-21.24 mpg!

The current 2011 LS460 gets 23-24 mpg, and my 1990 LS400 is able to get 21-23 mpg also, is pretty damn amazing.

I bet if I was driving an LS460, I would be able to push the mpg to way more than 24 mpg, but that's just cause I drive like old ***** (65 mph, cruise control), lol.
regarding your mpg, when I read your first post, I knew right away you were calculating your mpg incorrectly.

22.5 gal is max capacity of your fuel tank. your gas light comes on early to warn you so you wont run out of gas when you drive. there's a reserve.

so next time you pump gas, reset your trip odometer to zero. drive until your gaslight is on. pump gas. record how much gas you just put in. take mileage from trip odometer and divide by how many gallons you just put in.
Old 01-28-11, 07:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

So, I'm going to start the Snowball method of paying off my debt starting next month.

I owe around $1,200 for one of my credit cards, and plan to have it paid off in August.

While I'm paying off that card, I'm going to pay slightly the minimum (min=$114, gonna pay around $150) towards my other credit card, $3,100. Once the smaller balance is paid off, I'm going to try to pay off this credit card even faster.
glad to hear that before you even think of purchasing anything else!

Once I pay off my small credit card, I'm going to apply with Bank of America. At least their APR is between 12-20%, and they have NO PENALTY APR, which is amazing.
there's nothing amazing about interest, or 'no penalty apr' - you're getting screwed either way if you pay interest. think of it this way - imagine you got a 20% sales tax added to everything. how's that feel? that's what you're doing (even worse right now).

I plan on applying for them this summer, and hopefully it all goes well.
i say you plan on living with NO balances on your card(s) for 6 months, and start saving!
Old 01-28-11, 09:23 AM
Raralith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what your method is called, but I hope you are just paying the most you can on your highest interest rate and minimums on those that aren't. You'll eventually pay off the highest and than you'll have a new highest to focus on.

I need to pay off and cancel my credit cards with Chase. The APR they've given me is 29.99%, and I think they're going to increase it to 30.24% sometime this year, which makes no ****in sense! I've been paying over the minimum for my cards for the past year, but these guys are just screwin with me!

Once I pay off my small credit card, I'm going to apply with Bank of America. At least their APR is between 12-20%, and they have NO PENALTY APR, which is amazing.

I plan on applying for them this summer, and hopefully it all goes well.
Don't cancel your credit cards as this is going to hurt your credit even more. Firstly, 15% of your credit score is based on the longevity of your credit history. I have a credit card that my mother got me in my name, but under her account (so she was liable if I missed payments) simply so I could start having a record. I bought her gas with it and nothing else, she would call the credit card company annually, and get my maximum raised.

The maximums lead to the second point, your total available limit (adding all your credit card limits together) and the total used is 30% of your credit score. Let's just assume that you have 5 credit cards with $5k limits on each - your total credit limit is $25k (5 credit cards * $5k limit each). Let's say you owe $4k on each credit card so your total debt is $20k with a debt to credit ratio of 80%. If you paid off 2 cards, and cancelled 2 cards, you would have a limit of $15k (3 credit cards * $5k limit), have debt of $12k (3 credit cards * $4k owed), and your final debt to credit ratio is still a crazy high 80%. In this situation, the best thing to do is to pay off the 2 cards, and keep all 5 so now you still have a total credit limit of $25k, your debt is now 12k, and your new debt to credit ratio is now 48%. This is also why you should ask for your credit card to raise your maximums, and from my experience, I've never hard a hard pull on my credit from Bank of America or Chase because they use internal records since I've got quite a history with them. In a very basic sense (skipping the complications), this ratio is what will make or break you assuming you pay your credit card on time and with at least the minimums (35% of your score).

Lastly, don't get another credit card if your purpose is to improve your credit. Another credit card hurts your score because you are getting a hard pull on credit history (10% of credit score), you'll worsen your average card history (15% of credit score), and honstly, your credit score is so ****ty that they will either deny you or give you an absolutely terrible credit limit. This also means that while you can theortically get a better interest rate (if they even give you a card), your limit would be hiliariously low that you would hit the limit in a few months.

Last edited by Raralith; 01-28-11 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-28-11, 10:21 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I say sell the LS for 3-4k, buy a 95 Honda Civic with the money and get another lexus in a few years...if you are worried about gas right now, this is the only thing that makes sense.