Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

RWD Subaru FT-86 (aka 216a) Coming to Geneva Autoshow in March

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-11, 10:25 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
A Subaru with rear-wheel drive = FAIL
A heavier, more complex, more expensive, less fuel efficient awd sportscar may be a fail too for Subaru.

The SVX was fwd/awd and sold poorly because it was pricey, heavy, not very fast, and kind of out of place in the coupe/sportscar market(I liked it though). The mostly rwd competition were much quicker and better performers.

A lighter less complex less expensive rwd sportscar would make a interesting model in Subaru's lineup, they can always offer a awd version if customers want it. Just because Subaru never offered a rwd sportscar does not mean they never should, I don't believe Toyota ever offered a flat 4 sports car either. I would think a Subaru fan would be excited about this car.

Last edited by UDel; 01-16-11 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-17-11, 07:55 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blackraven
No it isn't. Subaru is more than 90% ALL WHEEL DRIVE. The less than 10% are composed of front wheel drive cars (like the Justy, R1 and R2 and so on).

AFAIK, there was never a rear wheel drive Subaru (anyone correct me if I'm wrong).......and IMHO, there doesn't need to be.

Subaru is primarily All wheel drive. The Symmetrical All Wheel Drive is part of their identity.

Hence, Subaru does not need rear wheel drive. It is fine for other carmakers to use RWD but for Subaru, it isn't needed.

and what for?

Subaru has primarily stayed with AWD and for more than thirty years at that.

Hence, there is no point for a rear-wheel drive Subaru
From what I've heard, Subaru has only marketed themselves as an AWD-only brand in NA. Other markets have FWD cars already. NA has had FWD Subarus before too so it's not like it's something they've never done before.

That being said, Subaru's biggest market is probably NA so the options I see here are:
1. They sell it in NA with RWD base and AWD optional (STI trim or something along those lines), this will also help reduce their EPA rating
2. They only sell the Toyota version in NA and the Subaru versions will be sold in other markets.

I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal for Subaru to use FWD or RWD in NA. AWD is a drain on fuel economy and is mostly a niche market, to be a larger player in NA you need to have different options, otherwise they'll block themselves out of the market.

I hope Toyota's version comes with a AWD turbo optional, return of the All-trac!(although it sounds like they will not be resurrecting the Celica nameplate for this vehicle and will use something with the 86 moniker in it)
Old 01-17-11, 01:11 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
A heavier, more complex, more expensive, less fuel efficient awd sportscar may be a fail too for Subaru.

The SVX was fwd/awd and sold poorly because it was pricey, heavy, not very fast, and kind of out of place in the coupe/sportscar market(I liked it though). The mostly rwd competition were much quicker and better performers.

A lighter less complex less expensive rwd sportscar would make a interesting model in Subaru's lineup, they can always offer a awd version if customers want it. Just because Subaru never offered a rwd sportscar does not mean they never should, I don't believe Toyota ever offered a flat 4 sports car either. I would think a Subaru fan would be excited about this car.

Well no but.......

FR, Flat (boxer) 2 cylinder.
Old 01-17-11, 03:25 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rwd subie, interesting