Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

the gasoline thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-07, 08:29 PM
mdw131
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use to use Citgo b/c it was right near where I got my hair cut...Been using Mobil because its near the gym but I also use BJ's now that my hair cut place moved.

http://autos.msn.com/everyday/gassta...?zip=&src=Netx
Old 06-08-07, 11:17 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

I alternate between shell and chevron. Both have excellent detergents, and switching between the two allows them to clean up after one another.
Old 06-09-07, 08:45 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Exxon or Mobil first (got stock in XOM), then Chevron and Texaco (the latter since the merger), then BP or Shell or Sunoco. I try to avoid Hess and Giant and Costco, etc. No Conoco or 76 around here.
Old 06-09-07, 08:53 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
I stick exclusively with Sunoco. It's been like that for several years now. Can't remember ever having bad gas from them.
Sunoco I have heard has the cleanest gas, my RX ran much smoother than Chevron with it when I was in the U.S.
Old 06-10-07, 01:57 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read that it was best to pick one brand and stick to it for every car. So that's what I've been doing, I use Shell V-Power. In my area there are Shell stations everywhere so I do it not just for the additives in Shell but also for the convenience. Add to the fact that with a Shell card I get money back on every gas purchase.
Old 06-10-07, 02:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by nabisco
Chevron for me. You should make this a poll.
We've done a number of CL polls on this. Chevron and Shell, among American brands, usually come out on top....not surprising since they, in general, have the best detergents.
Old 06-10-07, 02:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Sunoco I have heard has the cleanest gas, my RX ran much smoother than Chevron with it when I was in the U.S.
Are you talking about fuel you purchased here in the U.S.? The Chevron brand they sell in Mexico may or may not the same Chevron formula they sell in the U.S. ( I'm guessing...I don't know that for a fact). Mexican gas is often (not always) lower in octane than American gas, and it doesn't have to be blended for EPA and CARB emission requirements.

In the U.S. however, Chevron is generally considered to be the best overall brand. In fact, automakers and engineers rate it as the Tier 1 industry standard, or the ideal fuel, for many U.S.-market spec new vehicles.

Another thing that could have affected your engine....both here or in Mexico. If you gassed up at any station, no matter what brand they sell, while a tanker truck was still pumping, or less than 5-10 minutes after it was done, you could have picked up water bubbles or dirt in the fuel, which can cause problems. These contaminants settle to the bottom of the tank after the truck is done but are stirred up by the truck's high fuel pressure while pumping....always give it a few minutes.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-10-07 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-10-07, 02:20 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
We've done a number of CL polls on this. Chevron and Shell, among American brands, usually come out on top....not surprising since they, in general, have the best detergents.
Shell is not an American company. Shell is headquartered and incorporated in the Netherlands. Shell does have one of the best detergents in their gas I agree...
Old 06-10-07, 02:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trexus
Shell is not an American company. Shell is headquartered and incorporated in the Netherlands. Shell does have one of the best detergents in their gas I agree...
OK...fine. I didn't know the Dutch owned it. Just shows you how globalized everything has become today.
Old 06-10-07, 03:44 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Are you talking about fuel you purchased here in the U.S.? The Chevron brand they sell in Mexico may or may not the same Chevron formula they sell in the U.S. ( I'm guessing...I don't know that for a fact). Mexican gas is often (not always) lower in octane than American gas, and it doesn't have to be blended for EPA and CARB emission requirements.

In the U.S. however, Chevron is generally considered to be the best overall brand. In fact, automakers and engineers rate it as the Tier 1 industry standard, or the ideal fuel, for many U.S.-market spec new vehicles.

Another thing that could have affected your engine....both here or in Mexico. If you gassed up at any station, no matter what brand they sell, while a tanker truck was still pumping, or less than 5-10 minutes after it was done, you could have picked up water bubbles or dirt in the fuel, which can cause problems. These contaminants settle to the bottom of the tank after the truck is done but are stirred up by the truck's high fuel pressure while pumping....always give it a few minutes.
I should have been clearer, I was talking about Chevron in the U.S.

By law in Mexico, since the 1930s, only Pemex may distribute gasoline in Mexico (though there are exceptions for racing gasoline and natural gas).

Mexican gas comes in diesel, 87 octane regular and 92 octane Premium. I use the 92 octane Premium, even though I am at high altitude, because the 87 octane, for lack of a better word, sucks. High sulfur content, well over 400 ppm minimum, with that being sold in Mexico City being around 400, while other areas are much higher. Meanwhile, the Premium has gone from about 220 ppm a year ago minimum in Mexico City, to a remarkably improved 30 to 80 ppm now, known as UBA (Ultra Baja Azufre or Ultra Low Sulfur).

At the border, I immediately fill up on Chevron for daily driving, but for track use I would use Sunoco. We have a 93 octane Premium Sunoco we can get here for track use, but very expensive, and would cost well over 100 USD to fill up my tank on it. This is something I do once a year unless I am going back to the U.S. for vacation, so that I can clean out my system. I also like to use a small amount, about 1/4 tank when I do bi-yearly emissions tests here (voluntary, but you get to drive every day of the week without hassle if you pass).
Old 06-10-07, 05:43 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I've never seen a Chevron station.

I just went to the corporate website to search the closest one to Massachusetts and none were within the 300 mile search limit.

Where are these Chevrons?
Old 06-11-07, 12:03 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SDLexus
I read that it was best to pick one brand and stick to it for every car. So that's what I've been doing, I use Shell V-Power. In my area there are Shell stations everywhere so I do it not just for the additives in Shell but also for the convenience. Add to the fact that with a Shell card I get money back on every gas purchase.
It's best to stick to one brand for a few months, then switch to another brand. You want to switch up additives/detergents every now and then.
Old 01-13-11, 11:24 AM
CalMike
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's Your Favorite Brand of Gasoline?

So where does everybody usually like to pump from? 76, Chevron, Shell, Exxon/Mobil, Amoco/BP, Texaco, Arco, Valero or a different station I've left off? I'd like to turn this into a poll if possible, as with the octane poll. Apologies in advance if this is a redundant thread, I ran a search though and didn't notice a similar one.
Old 01-13-11, 11:31 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

VALERO ftw
Old 01-13-11, 11:32 AM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i go wherever 91 is cheapest...usually RaceTrack or HessExpress.

Quick Reply: the gasoline thread