Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Some funny things people have said to me about cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-11, 12:20 PM
Rolexus600
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some funny things people have said to me about cars

People say some funny things in general, but these stick out in my memory...

"Acuras are very Reliable...Toyota makes Acura and they're reliable!" - Some kid who claimed to be a "car expert" around 1999

"You bought a Japanese car? Their motors seize up!!! You're just asking to break down. See here, Pontiac has been making cars for almost 75 years and they know what they're doin'... "- Some guy talking to me about my LS400 back in 2000

"You're looking at a Cadillac STS? Just get a, Infinti Q45...same thing" - A distant acquaintance of mine talking to a friend of mine in 1999

The next things were absolutely hilarious when they happened...

In 2002, a friend of mine had a 2000 or 2001 MB CLK 430. He bought it pre-owned. Neither of us were very familiar with the car when he stopped by my house one night and we took it for a little spin. A new MB S500 pulls up next to us and the driver motions for my friend to roll down his window. When he does, the S500 driver says "nice car, how much did you pay for the AMG sticker?" Apparently, my friend thought that the car came with the sticker from the factory. The S500 driver gave a cocky laugh when he heard this and raced us to the next stoplight with his girlfriend in the car. The 2 cars were dead even. Not happy with this, the S500 driver called my friend an a$$hole for no apparent reason. When my friend told him to calm down, the guy said "Whatever...your car sucks and I hope you get raped by a gorilla"...we sat silent because...well, because I don't know if there's a response to that!

About 10 years ago at a get-together, a friend asks us to come outside to look at his 1993 Acura Legend with aftermarket wheels on it. we all congratulate him. One intoxicated partygoer asks about the wheels but has a different term for them. "*****" is what he referred to them as. The silence was only broken by extreme laughter. That went on to be a running joke for years. While riding in a car, one of us would see a car with 22-inch wheels and would always exclaim "check out the size of those *****!" lol

Around the same time, A boss I were talking about some brake problems she was having on a Grand Cherokee. I mentioned how MB merged with Chrysler and she said "no wonder". When I aksed about what that meant she told me "We had a Mercedes and we hated it" (referring to her and her husband). When I asked why, she recited a list of things that had gone wrong and ended with a final complaint..."It smelled!" I laughed soooo hard. The look of genuine disgust on her face when recalling the odor of the car was hilarious. I asked which model it was and she just knew it had 4 doors, was leased in the late 90's and that she "thought it was cute". I had to know...and so I asked "what did it smell like?" she didn't seem to want to answer and was growing slightly irritated until she belted this out "what did it smell like?...It smelled like some 400 lb. hobo farted in the car and just left!"...if you thought I was laughing hard before...lololol.

And about 5 years ago, my neighbor had a G35 coupe. One night when I saw him outside, I congratulated him on the car and he was talking about the value for the money and the performance. Now, I've heard plenty of people refer to their car as having "*****" when it comes to speed. This guy chose a different body part to describe the performance...part of the female anatomy. "This thing is fast. Bro, I ain't gonna lie...this thing's got ****!" I think I laughed until I cried "did you just say what I thought you said?" He seemed surprised that I never heard that expression before.

I just thought this would be a nice piece of automotive humor.

Michael
Old 01-11-11, 12:34 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

LOL, the last two were good. I too laughed until I cried. ROFL.
Old 01-11-11, 12:42 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this thing's got ****,,priceless,,
Old 01-11-11, 02:21 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes sometime I am amazed at how ignorant the general public is on cars. But it make sense, if you are not into it and don't look into it, you just don't know.

My co-worker who drives a Camry didn't know Lexus is a premium brand of Toyota, he thought Lexus is an European brand.....wow Lexus been here for 20 years! I guess you just don't know if you don't pay attention to it.
Old 01-11-11, 02:57 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

FYI, the 2000-2001 CLK430 does come with the AMG logo in the rear. It came standard with the AMG body kit and badges.
Old 01-11-11, 03:15 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

shoulda seen the supraforums board after the fast & the stupid came out...

'whats double clutch?'

'when i turn 16 and get my lic. i want a 800hp supra~'

lets not forget the ever popular, 'stickers add horsepower'
Old 01-11-11, 03:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hah, I once had an argument with someone that claimed his Q45 was made by Toyota. The guy was so sure it was made by Toyota, he said there was even a Toyota badge somewhere on the interior. He sounded so convincing that I almost started to doubt myself. Only for him to come back the next day and say that I was right and the badge said "Touring"
Old 01-11-11, 03:21 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pvmike1
FYI, the 2000-2001 CLK430 does come with the AMG logo in the rear. It came standard with the AMG body kit and badges.
Standard AMG package, yes. But it didn't come with an AMG rear badge.

A LOT of those owners put a AMG rear badge on those cars, hence the confusion.

For that generation CLK, only the CLK55 comes with the AMG rear badge. That S500 dude was right, that AMG badge was an add on. I don't know what he was making fun of though, considering his S500 is also not an AMG.

Last edited by BNR34; 01-11-11 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-11-11, 03:47 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Hah, I once had an argument with someone that claimed his Q45 was made by Toyota. The guy was so sure it was made by Toyota, he said there was even a Toyota badge somewhere on the interior. He sounded so convincing that I almost started to doubt myself. Only for him to come back the next day and say that I was right and the badge said "Touring"
haha......people think all Japanese cars are made by Toyota, except my co-worker that doesn't know Lexus is made by Toyota

Don't be surprise though, as a lot of Japanese car manufacturers share components. I remember seeing a Nissan logo on the back of one of the interior trim piece out of my Subaru.
Old 01-11-11, 04:09 PM
Rolexus600
Driver

Originally Posted by Och
lol

It's funny when they argue with people that know cars. This brings to mind 2 more funny instances...

I had a guy proactively bash Lexus. He had incredible disdain for the ES300, calling it "the Camry Lexus". I was thinking about arguing with the guy when I realized it would be fruitless. He told me he likes his Infiniti Q30 more (he mistook the I30's script writing for Q30). To add insult to injury, he was glad that his "Q30" wasn't a rebadge of any Nissan vehicle.

One summer night in the late 90's, I went with a group of friends to visit a friend of a friend who lived in quite an amazing home. I mean this home was millions of dollars. The Father of the family came outside. This guy had a stained white spaghetti shirt, was drinking beer out of the can and had an extinguished cigar hanging from the side of his mouth. Think Captain Lou Albano meets cousin Eddie. Over the course of conversation, this guy would take any and every opportunity to talk about how "rich" he was. He points to his MB SL500 and keeps referring to it as "a $100,000 car". Getting a bit fed up, I ask why he didn't spring for the SL600. He insisted that there was no such thing and that I was confused. He told me more than once that he "only drives the best"...meaning of course, the most expensive. After insisting that the car existed and the guy growing increasingly angry, he turned to me and said something like this..."you wouldn't know...you're not on my level and your parents aren't either " and walked away. It was too funny to be insulted.

Michael
Old 01-11-11, 04:14 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
'when i turn 16 and get my lic. i want a 800hp supra~'
16 + 800 hp Supra =

Old 01-11-11, 04:30 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rolexus600
lol

It's funny when they argue with people that know cars. This brings to mind 2 more funny instances...

I had a guy proactively bash Lexus. He had incredible disdain for the ES300, calling it "the Camry Lexus". I was thinking about arguing with the guy when I realized it would be fruitless. He told me he likes his Infiniti Q30 more (he mistook the I30's script writing for Q30). To add insult to injury, he was glad that his "Q30" wasn't a rebadge of any Nissan vehicle.
This is funny. My brother in law have an I30, he swear he will never buy another Infiniti and he is a Lexus fan now

Originally Posted by Rolexus600
One summer night in the late 90's, I went with a group of friends to visit a friend of a friend who lived in quite an amazing home. I mean this home was millions of dollars. The Father of the family came outside. This guy had a stained white spaghetti shirt, was drinking beer out of the can and had an extinguished cigar hanging from the side of his mouth. Think Captain Lou Albano meets cousin Eddie. Over the course of conversation, this guy would take any and every opportunity to talk about how "rich" he was. He points to his MB SL500 and keeps referring to it as "a $100,000 car". Getting a bit fed up, I ask why he didn't spring for the SL600. He insisted that there was no such thing and that I was confused. He told me more than once that he "only drives the best"...meaning of course, the most expensive. After insisting that the car existed and the guy growing increasingly angry, he turned to me and said something like this..."you wouldn't know...you're not on my level and your parents aren't either " and walked away. It was too funny to be insulted.

Michael
From my observations, people that keep reminding other people that he is rich, usually mean he is actually not very rich. The truely wealthy people are afraid other people would know they are rich, so they pretend that they are not rich and they never talk about how rich they are and always try to hide any evidents that show they are rich

Now a days, I only chat cars with people that actually know cars. Everyone else, I just brush them off and say "oh yeah.....you are right.....oh that's nice, wow how you know so much about cars?" It is pointless to argue with anyone that doesn't know.
Old 01-11-11, 04:39 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I know both types of people:

A guy that always tells people he is so rich, he does live in a decent house in a highend neighborhood, then he leased a brand new Ford Taurus and start telling me how nice it is!

The other guy that never tells people he is rich, he was telling me he is going broke for spending too much money on cars, he is going to quit this car hobby. Then a few weeks later, he pay cash for a brand new $270k Ferrari F430, mind you he didn't sell any of the 5-6 fancy cars that he had before to fund the F430 purchase. I was like what was all that going broke talk huh?

Human mentality is a funny thing.
Old 01-11-11, 05:01 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i liked the slk430 vs s500. the gorilla line was gold.
Old 01-11-11, 05:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About 10 years ago, a woman was at the Ford dealer and pointed to the Ford Escape on the showroom floor and said to the salesman "it's got Firestone tires", I just laughed.

Quick Reply: Some funny things people have said to me about cars