Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

InsideLine Video: 2011 Infiniti M56 vs. 2011 BMW 550i Comparison Test

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-10, 10:24 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Post InsideLine Video: 2011 Infiniti M56 vs. 2011 BMW 550i Comparison Test

InsideLine Video: 2011 Infiniti M56 vs. 2011 BMW 550i Comparison Test

http://www.insideline.com/bmw/5-seri...ison-test.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkyuJ...layer_embedded

Summary:

1st Place: 2011 BMW 550i
From its lag-free twin-turbo V8 to its slick eight-speed automatic and adaptive suspension, the new 550i is a smooth operator. It's also gained about 400 pounds, and as such has lost a share of its handling edge.
2nd Place: 2011 Infiniti M56
Infiniti paints the M56 as a serious sport sedan, and it definitely has the handling numbers to back up its intentions. The M56's modern interior is fancy, but the stiff suspension grows tiresome.
Old 12-27-10, 11:29 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW is underwhelming, Infiniti is less interesting to drive everyday, seems like BMW sort of won cause of the long standing badge
Old 12-28-10, 06:28 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
BMW is underwhelming, Infiniti is less interesting to drive everyday, seems like BMW sort of won cause of the long standing badge
The BMW 550i is simply a better all-around sedan. Infiniti may have figured out the sport sedan piece of the formula, but BMW is better at making a sport sedan that you can live with. We like a tightly wound sedan as much as the next enthusiast, but we don't want to be reminded of the car's capabilities every time we head to the office. It's a fine line for sure, but one the Infiniti still needs to work on.

With the 550i, you get the refined driving experience along with plenty of sport sedan capability. Should it weigh less? Yes. Would we prefer more precise steering? Yes again. The new 5 Series is by no means perfect, but it still puts all the pieces together in a way that makes it feel like a proper luxury sport sedan. The Infiniti is close, but the BMW is already there.

The review sounded honest to me. They acknowledge that the M56 is the better sports sedan, but mention that the BMW is also dynamically capable and easier to live with on a daily basis due to being more comfortable and balanced.

I've ridden in cars that were as sports-biased as the new Infiniti M and I can tell you that for long-distance driving or even a short drive to work, such a hard (and noisy suspension) can really manage to annoy you.

Take my 118d for example with its sports-tuned suspension. It's a great car for the city but for longer journeys the suspension is to noisy and stiff - it gets to you after a few hours. Thankfully, I've managed to tour the most interesting sights of Europe with my previous ride, a very comfortable Mercedes E230 sedan!

I think one reason why the Infiniti M has never sold well is because it was never really a comfortable car. The majority of shoppers want something comfortable, not sporty. Most BMW 5er customers are just interested in the badge, it seems, not the dynamic driving capabilities (and it seems BMW listened to the market for a change and engineered the new F10 5er to be more comfortable than sporty). Only a small portion of the market actually cares about driving dynamics and these people have traditionally eyed the 5er, the M and perhaps the A6. At any rate, I think the new Infiniti M will sell better than the previous generations and the new 5er will find more appeal thanks to its new-found comfort qualities.
Old 12-28-10, 06:39 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

"... Might have something to do with the extra 287 pounds of ballast the 4,380-pound 550i carries versus the M56. Seriously, what's a 5 Series doing weighing nearly 4,400 pounds? This is "EfficientDynamics?"
This is my whole issue right now with BMW... they keep claiming this (witness the slogan on the ALL makes, but also include X6M, X5M, AND X6 hybrid)... I would like to see the corporate definition of "Efficent Dynamics" when, outside of the 335d and X5 35d and 750 hybrid I just don't see it... throwing turbos on everything... does it mean "performance" or "green"
Old 12-28-10, 06:47 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever that front lip is on the M56, it's positively hideous and looks downright cheap. They used two different M56s in the review, too.
Old 12-28-10, 07:52 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see a lot of new 5 series around here in Silicon Valley, but I think they go largely unnoticed from a styling standpoint (some of it is due to the very conservative colors on 98% of the cars sold). I personally like the understated look of the new 5.
Old 12-28-10, 07:55 AM
LexFather

First off you can't go wrong with either and the BMW only won by 2.2 points so it wasn't a landslide or anything. Its great both offer big V-8s.
The 5 looks better to me even though derivative, the Infiniti looks like a wavy female fish. The bodykit is horrid, like a snow plow up front. Personally I also prefer the more German interior to the dizzying/wavy Infiniti interior. Both are very well put together.

I agree with the findings having driven both. The 5 has more mass and there is no denying it drives bigger than the last model but it just feels "complete" and like the superior car. The ride is fantastic, it handles fine, acceleration is great. The interior is well done as well. The backseat is bigger as trunk room. It feels worth the money.

The M56 is lighter but feels more artificial. The ride is horrid with the 20" wheels. The interior is well done and fit and finish is fantastic. It has more standard features to the BMW. Surely it will be more reliable. It feels overpriced. It lacks image/prestige to the BMW.

Last edited by LexFather; 12-28-10 at 11:08 AM.

Old 12-28-10, 07:56 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

They are both shi, get a GS

There, I said it
Old 12-28-10, 08:35 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

to me the 5 is a clear winner, i just never feel right with the m56
Old 12-28-10, 09:04 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
They are both shi, get a GS

There, I said it
Excellent choice. Love the GS.

Old 12-28-10, 09:13 AM
LexFather

I would have to wait for the new GS, the current one is on the way out next year.

Old 12-28-10, 09:15 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
Excellent choice. Love the GS.

LOL, good one
Old 12-28-10, 11:03 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

one thing's for sure.

the m56 needs bigger side skirts, which the test model had.
Old 12-29-10, 06:56 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd take BMW base on exterior looks alone. It's not a LOOK-AT-ME styling and the kit on the M56 looks tacky, it doesn't need that honestly to look sporty. Outside the interior, I honestly think the Infiniti lacks appeal, I think many aren't feeling the car either, I see a good amount of new 5-Series or E-Class everyday VS it. I can see Infiniti probably slash prices soon like what they did with the FX soon.
Old 12-29-10, 08:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusChris
I'd take BMW base on exterior looks alone. It's not a LOOK-AT-ME styling and the kit on the M56 looks tacky, it doesn't need that honestly to look sporty. Outside the interior, I honestly think the Infiniti lacks appeal, I think many aren't feeling the car either, I see a good amount of new 5-Series or E-Class everyday VS it. I can see Infiniti probably slash prices soon like what they did with the FX soon.
i thought infiniti have been cutting prices on their m3/5?

Quick Reply: InsideLine Video: 2011 Infiniti M56 vs. 2011 BMW 550i Comparison Test