Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

IIHS Gets it Wrong Again, but good news for Hyundai and VW Marketing Departments

Old 12-22-10, 10:51 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,835 Likes on 2,324 Posts
Default IIHS Gets it Wrong Again, but good news for Hyundai and VW Marketing Departments

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Hyunda....html?x=0&.v=5

Hyundai/Kia and VW top the awards. I think the awards are a load of crap and posted on Yahoo exactly what I think of their awards.

What a load of hogwash. TEST results? Who really cares how a perfectly placed and restrained dummy fares? If they really gave a crap about reality, they'd collect actual injury statistics from cars with real people involved in real accidents and publish those numbers. I couldn't care less how a test dummy fares because I'm not a test dummy nor is anyone else I know.

Having seen what airbags do to real people will open your eyes about the idiocy of having a test dummy (completely immune to the chemicals used to deploy an airbag which do temporarily blind and occasionally cause permanent damage to real people) evaluate what happens in real accidents.

It annoys me to no end that the insurance companies have actual data from real people's injuries, but the only way you can see it is if you ask for a quote - cars that hurt people will have higher med pay premiums - and they're never going to publish this data for consumers because it would be detrimental to the car manufacturers.

For a great reality check, just drive down the road and observe how many times you see people with their feet ON THE DASH right over an airbag, completely oblivious to the concept they'd LOSE THEIR FEET if the airbag deployed. Or how about how many people have a key ring hanging from their ignition key putting their keys right inline with the knee airbag - guess what? If the knee airbag deploys, where do you think those keys will end up?

The stupidity of these awards just underscores the arrogance of IIHS. Really? Test results? Total hogwash.
Old 12-22-10, 11:02 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My brother was involved in a rollover accident last week, and ironically the only injuries he sustained are from the airbag.
Old 12-22-10, 11:06 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What a load of hogwash. TEST results? Who really cares how a perfectly placed and restrained dummy fares? If they really gave a crap about reality, they'd collect actual injury statistics from cars with real people involved in real accidents and publish those numbers.

The stupidity of these awards just underscores the arrogance of IIHS. Really? Test results? Total hogwash.

Are you saying that safety, even in a perfect case scenario, is nothing to shake a stick at? There are hundreds of ways a person can be in a car, not to mention the thousand variables in weight, size, and health of the passengers. Normalized testing, in a word, normalizes the issue.

And we pay dearly for life (mounting medical expenses and lifelong care), because it's cheaper if someone dies (funeral expenses only). It's the honest truth.
Old 12-22-10, 11:11 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually we do not even need front facing airbags.

The one and only reason why we even have those front facing airbags are because people are stupid enough to not wear seat-belts.
Old 12-22-10, 12:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,835 Likes on 2,324 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

Are you saying that safety, even in a perfect case scenario, is nothing to shake a stick at? There are hundreds of ways a person can be in a car, not to mention the thousand variables in weight, size, and health of the passengers. Normalized testing, in a word, normalizes the issue.

And we pay dearly for life (mounting medical expenses and lifelong care), because it's cheaper if someone dies (funeral expenses only). It's the honest truth.
No, I'm saying testing is ONLY done in a perfect scenario, but the IIHS members have detailed information about how real people fare in accidents across their insured. Wouldn't it be a lot more valuable to know if more short/tall/thin/fat people are injured in a certain vehicle or even class of vehicles from actual accident results when you're deciding which car to buy from a safety perspective?

Testing with dummies is wonderful for the engineers because everything can be controlled and measured. I'm very skeptical their results reflect what happens in the real world where people do all kinds of things no engineer would permit in a testing scenario. Witness the issue with the explosives residue from airbags. No dummy is impacted by this, but I know from first hand experiences this really DOES impact real people.