Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Driving German cars + Snow = Useless ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-10, 10:19 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Driving German cars + Snow = Useless ?

So I were at a party Saturday night and since a couple folks had MB & BMWs, allot of folks were saying that with a little bit of snow these expensive cars are useless and they have to park it up for someone with a FWD car to pick them up etc.

I started saying that the correct tires with good thread depth makes a HUGE difference with how a car drives in snow. I inquired if these cars had a dry weather performance type tire or a good all weather tire? No one knew the difference as they were females and family members and not die hard enthausis!?! I then stated if the cars have summer performance tires, then there's a good chance they will not have a good experience in the white stuff. And the cars are all rear-wheel drive & not all-wheel drive models.

Note: Please do not respond like such: It's the driver or were they speeding, etc. I'm looking for more factual experienced responses, thanks.

I'm inquiring whether the "winter mode" if available on these cars are useless?

So my questions is, for those of you that actually own a german can or have had enough time behind one.....and, this is not blizzard driving but more small snow falls...

- How do these RWD cars drive in the snow?
- What type of tires do you have that allows for easy and safe snow driving
- What's your tire depth like (if you remember)
Old 12-20-10, 10:22 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

SNOW mode + blizzaks.....
Old 12-20-10, 10:58 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Winter mode probably changes transmission to start off in 2nd gear to reduce spinning tires or reduces low rpm torque or even both. High performance summer tires are ineffective below 40degrees. Wide tires float on snow & water, narrow tires press thru to the road surface. It's all about weight pressing down on the tires, rear engine w/ rwd is great in snow.
Old 12-20-10, 11:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

not only german cars. plenty of people complain about their gs and ls in snow. imho, rwd just isn't a good idea in snow overall
Old 12-20-10, 11:53 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Snow tires make all the difference. I believe in many european countries snow tires are required by law during winter time.

These days with all the "sporty" fad, and low clearance, huge rims with low profile near slick high performance tires its no surprise people are complaining about snow performance. These wheel setups just aren't cut for snow.
Old 12-20-10, 12:05 PM
1JZsoarer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Snow tires make all the difference. I believe in many european countries snow tires are required by law during winter time.

These days with all the "sporty" fad, and low clearance, huge rims with low profile near slick high performance tires its no surprise people are complaining about snow performance. These wheel setups just aren't cut for snow.
Snow tires are required between december 15th to march 1st in Quebec and IMO should not even be a law but simply logic.

After all, even with the greatest car, you are still only held by 4 relatively small patch of rubber to the road.
Old 12-20-10, 12:14 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZsoarer
Snow tires are required between december 15th to march 1st in Quebec and IMO should not even be a law but simply logic.

After all, even with the greatest car, you are still only held by 4 relatively small patch of rubber to the road.
Many people (at least in the US) simply do not know about the existence of snow tires and the benefits they provide. I am an enthusiast, and even then the fist time I tried snow tires was last winter, and I was simply amazed at the difference they make. The only way I would get stuck on them is if the snow was too deep and I was getting belly stuck, or on smooth ice.
Old 12-20-10, 12:36 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

I have seen and spoken to several C63 AMG owners who regualrly drive in snow up to 8"... put DEDICATED snow tires (Blizzaks, Pirelli Sottozero, or Dunlop Wintersport D3s) on most any German, Japanese or American... they will drive BETTER than any AWD on summer rubber... all-seasons are even worse in many instances...

I'd be more concerned with clearance in deep snow, NOT traction... D3s or Blizzaks for me
Old 12-21-10, 07:24 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ice and snow??? That's where 4WD/AWD comes in
Old 12-21-10, 09:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
I have seen and spoken to several C63 AMG owners who regualrly drive in snow up to 8"... put DEDICATED snow tires (Blizzaks, Pirelli Sottozero, or Dunlop Wintersport D3s) on most any German, Japanese or American... they will drive BETTER than any AWD on summer rubber... all-seasons are even worse in many instances...
Well, yes, true to an extent, but, of course, dry-pavement high-performance rubber is not meant to be used in the winter. Subaru, for example, puts a disclimer to that effect on the stock WRX/STi/Legacy GT tires. But, for a RWD vehicle, even with traction/stability control, to outperform an AWD vehicle with worn or crappy tires in the snow, that RWD vehicle in the snow had better have some darn good winter tires, or, better yet, tire-studs. Unfortunately, many regions outlaw studs.

All-season tires, BTW, can do very well in snow if properly designed. The Bridgestone RE92 all-seasons, for example, particularly combined with AWD, are quite good in snow when new or lightly-worn, but fall off somewhat as they age and wear. (I've had long-term experience with RE92s on two different vehicles)

The tire's-profile, among other things, also can make a difference. In general, the lower-profile the tire and the wider it is, the less wet-snow traction it will have. Taller, narrower tires usually do better in wet/snowy conditions because they are less-likely to hydroplane.

I'd be more concerned with clearance in deep snow, NOT traction... D3s or Blizzaks for me
Yes, you have a point about the snow-clearance (that's one reason why I drive a high-clearance Outback), but even Monster-Truck clearance won't do you much good if you don't have the traction to go along with it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-21-10 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-21-10, 10:05 AM
JessePS

AWD/4WD - all year round
FWD - winter
RWD - summer

There was a picture of this 1-Series in Germany, with chains on the front tire and the car RWD, like thats going to do any **** Also a good set of winter tires always help

I am happy that Lexus is finally selling a FWD vehicle (i.e CTh)

Honestly... If I had the money, I would buy myself a similar Toyota Hilux that was used in the Top Gear special.

Last edited by JessePS; 12-21-10 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-21-10, 10:39 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

It's not so much a German car thing as it is a RWD thing. It's just that German cars a most commonly RWD. There's nothing worse than constantly fish tailing on slippery roads in a RWD car. It's a very dangerous setup.

As others have said, winter tires are an absolute must for these cars. Actually, they should be used with all cars. The grip is night and day compared to "all-seasons". People are greatly mistaken to think all-season actually means all season capability. They are garbage. If you thing they're OK, then you haven't driven on snow tires.

I'm currently running Continental ExtremeWinterContacts. Great European winter tire. One of the Tire Rack's best winter performers. And very affordable as well.

Here's some good testing videos from Tire Rack using BMW's...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=123

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=135

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=125
Old 12-21-10, 10:44 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

My GS is RWD, and I have winter tires on. I never use the snow mode! Its like a mini tank in snow, just wont get stuck. And the car is lowered. So, the winter tires do make a huge difference.
Old 12-21-10, 01:04 PM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get some proper winter tires and you will never get stuck on snow or ice.

I got 18" Nokia Hakkapeliitta 5 studded winter tires on my IS250 right now (Second winter with this set) and they are great.

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...akkapeliitta+5
Old 12-21-10, 01:15 PM
LexFather

They are fine, it snows like crazy in Europe where they mostly sell and people buy them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6yX7...layer_embedded

And of course more proof many have no idea their car is RWD...here are snow chains on teh front of a RWD car

Last edited by LexFather; 12-21-10 at 01:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Driving German cars + Snow = Useless ?