Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rumormill: Mitsubishi to sell rebadged Infiniti M... new Diamante in the cards?

Old 09-22-11, 08:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
You might wanna try getting closer to the back of the car before you guess what it is from a distance an LS looks like a Corolla
Not sure where it says in the internet manual to immediately counter a statement with the usual "oh well the LS looks like a Corolla". If the LS looks like a Corolla to anyone, they probably also think Paula Adbul and Christina Hendricks look the same b/c they both have arms, legs and *****. They also think George Bush and Barack Obama could be twins separated at birth and a shark and an elephant looks the same from a distance.

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Of course it's a failure, your looking for a new car in a used car Mecca, if your looking for Chargers, 300, Impalas, Crown Vics, you can't miss them
No its a failure b/c no one wants it, not even to lease it. FYI if you didn't know Atlanta is Infiniiti's 7th biggest market and crucial to the brand. Back in May, sales in Atlanta were up 41% compared to 24% or so nationwide. For the exact same reasons of the cars you list, is why its so popular here.

Originally Posted by jwong77
I guess even sadder, I like the way the Maxima looks, but the new M not so much.
I am head over heels over how the Maxima looks, IMO both brands best looking vehicle. Masculine, sharp, aggressive and different in a good way.

Old 09-23-11, 01:40 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not sure where it says in the internet manual to immediately counter a statement with the usual "oh well the LS looks like a Corolla". If the LS looks like a Corolla to anyone, they probably also think Paula Adbul and Christina Hendricks look the same b/c they both have arms, legs and *****. They also think George Bush and Barack Obama could be twins separated at birth and a shark and an elephant looks the same from a distance.

No its a failure b/c no one wants it, not even to lease it. FYI if you didn't know Atlanta is Infiniiti's 7th biggest market and crucial to the brand. Back in May, sales in Atlanta were up 41% compared to 24% or so nationwide. For the exact same reasons of the cars you list, is why its so popular here.
Pretty much what I was saying, many a times a friend says hey is that a 3series and I reply well upclose its a 7 no one is hating on Lexus but a HS looks like a Corolla, which looks like an LS from a distance

Atlanta is a large used car market, in fact the southeast dealerships move inventory other areas wish they could, but it's still a used car market, but how large domestic crap that sells for what probably equals a couple weeks paychecks is even slightly compared to a 60k car, does not make sense
Old 09-24-11, 12:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The question is whether a rebadged Fuga will eventually come to the U.S. market. Mitsu reps have been saying that the company was going to drop all but the Lancer (minus the Evo) and the Outlander in the American market.

Mike (correctly) brings up the point that Fuga sales have been poor, but, for a number of reasons, bigger cars traditionally do better in the U.S. than in many other countries. It's true that the Diamante also did poorly in the U.S. (and was dropped a number of years ago), but that was before Mitsubishi had the name-recognition here that it does today. I myself am of the belief, though, that you can't sell what you don't offer.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-24-11 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-08-12, 07:31 AM
LexFather

Wow it is another rebadge..

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/07...d-dignity.html

SWB Nissan Fuga= Infiniti M= Mitsubishi Proudia
LWB Nissan Cima= LWB Infiniti M (we Dont get it here)=Mitsubishi Dignity

Wow

Old 07-08-12, 08:36 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

man what happened to Mitsubishi. Got rid of all their fun cars and now getting rebadged versions of cars that won't sell
Old 07-08-12, 09:19 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
man what happened to Mitsubishi. Got rid of all their fun cars and now getting rebadged versions of cars that won't sell
yea! Needs more Starion, GSX's and Evos!
Old 07-08-12, 12:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rkyat
yea! Needs more Starion, GSX's and Evos!
Seriously the fall of the Eclipse makes me SMH the most. AWD and turbo to lackluster in no time flat, not to mention neglected for years
Old 07-08-12, 12:55 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

It's sad that Infiniti is having to rebadge these things as Mitsus to get enough sales on it. I've never been able to figure out how and why the Infiniti M's just haven't sold well in the U.S. Between the established German brands and Lexus, is there just no more room in the mid-luxury segment? I know the M has gotten pretty good reviews.
Old 07-08-12, 03:49 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
It's sad that Infiniti is having to rebadge these things as Mitsus to get enough sales on it. I've never been able to figure out how and why the Infiniti M's just haven't sold well in the U.S. Between the established German brands and Lexus, is there just no more room in the mid-luxury segment? I know the M has gotten pretty good reviews.
The styling is a major reason it does not sell. The new one now basically looks like a slightly longer G37 with some more curves. It has no distinct styling and they priced it way too high. It also has a rough jarring ride and has received mediocre reviews. The previous M had its own distinctive look and styling and looked nothing like a G35, it had a nice ride, and did well in the marketplace, it received mostly good reviews, and was not priced too high.

I was extremely disappointed in the new M, I was really looking forward to it and when I finally saw it in person I could not believe how plain and conservatively styled it was. I hardly ever see them on the road though I did see a black one recently that looked decent. The older M is a much better design to me.

The Diamante went from a decent mid size entry level lux car in the mid to late 90's to a complete cheapened afterthought, basically like what happened to the Eclipse. A Infiniti re badge is not going to help. It is unfortunate what has happened to Mitsubishi. In the 90's they were a nice hot player in the sporty/performance car field and then they went cheap with all their designs and dropped the 3000GT, turbo eclipse, etc. The EVO was their only bright spot but it is too pricey and unrefined to make much of a dent. I don't see Mitsubishi cars lasting too long in the US unless something major happens. I wish they would have brought the FTO to the US, that was a neat little car.
Old 07-09-12, 11:00 AM
LexFather

wowzers lol

Old 07-09-12, 12:28 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does Nissan benefit from this...?