Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM CEO: Toyota Prius is a "geek-mobile" that "I wouldn't be caught dead in"

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-10, 06:41 AM
LexFather

Post GM CEO: Toyota Prius is a "geek-mobile" that "I wouldn't be caught dead in"

Big talk from Government Motors. Some of us wouldn't be caught dead in a GM vehicle Mr. Akerson.

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/12/13...uldnt-be-caug/

During a public appearance last Friday at the Economic Club of Washington, the chief executive officer of General Motors, Dan Akerson, slammed the Toyota Prius, calling the best-selling hybrid a "geek-mobile" that he wouldn't own or drive. The outlandish comment by Akerson, who recently took the helm at GM, could be construed as a remark that's aimed at turning the attention away from Toyota's hybrid and towards the Chevrolet Volt, but his words certainly won't sit well with the millions of current Prius owners.

Akerson's shot at the Prius rang out like this:
We commonly refer to the geek-mobile as the Prius. And I wouldn't be caught dead in a Prius.
GM's CEO then turned his attention to the Volt, stating, "This actually looks good."

Akerson's blunt comment, directed at a rival manufacturer, is common in the industry, but rarely is the world's best-selling hybrid the target of such negativity. Maybe Akerson's speech was meant to show that GM is – after accepting a government bailout, emerging from bankruptcy and losing the position of the world's top automaker to Toyota – ready to duke it out and go toe-to-toe with its competitors once again, but why pick on the Prius? A geek-mobile? Call it what you want GM, it's still hugely popular.

Last edited by LexFather; 12-14-10 at 07:26 AM.

Old 12-14-10, 07:17 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I bet he would take the 135,000-140,000 annual sales though...
Old 12-14-10, 07:27 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know of anyone alive who'd love to be in a GM product...
Old 12-14-10, 08:18 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just another reason why my dollars don't support GM.

When I needed to buy a truck last week I just couldn't bring myself to support a company that didn't get it and couldn't keep itself afloat on its own. Ford is the only American company that deserves to exist, as they kept their fingers out of the cookie jar. Hence why I spoke with my dollars and bought an F150.
Old 12-14-10, 08:34 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

very stupid comment to make when a lot of Prius owners WOULD be interested in the Volt.

I love my Prius --- sure it's no beauty like a Ferrari, but I like the looks with the 17s and love the car for doing exactly what its supposed to do very efficiently, quiet, and comfortable (my 600 watt sound system also makes the ride more enjoyable!).

IMO, Prius stands for hi-tech, hi-mpg, high reliability.

Last edited by bagwell; 12-14-10 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-14-10, 08:38 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Eh, sorry GM say what you want to say but I will not buy a product from you, if I had to go with an American car maker give me Ford but more likely i'll stay to the Japanese products, thanks. GM should have never been bailed out sorry.
Old 12-14-10, 08:47 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexusChris
Eh, sorry GM say what you want to say but I will not buy a product from you, if I had to go with an American car maker give me Ford but more likely i'll stay to the Japanese products, thanks. GM should have never been bailed out sorry.

Originally Posted by bagwell
very stupid comment to make when a lot of Prius owners WOULD be interested in the Volt.

I love my Prius --- sure it's no beauty like a Ferrari, but I like the looks with the 17s and love the car for doing exactly what its supposed to do very efficiently, quiet, and comfortable (my 600 watt sound system also makes the ride more enjoyable!).

IMO, Prius stands for hi-tech, hi-mpg, high reliability..
Exactly, a lot of Volt talk on Prius Chat. What a dumbass. Do they really think the Volt is any more "cool"?

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES

When I needed to buy a truck last week I just couldn't bring myself to support a company that didn't get it and couldn't keep itself afloat on its own. Ford is the only American company that deserves to exist, as they kept their fingers out of the cookie jar. Hence why I spoke with my dollars and bought an F150.

Old 12-14-10, 08:50 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Prius = 10 years of proven win.
Volt = All this hype for $40k?
Old 12-14-10, 10:02 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Ford is the only American company that deserves to exist, as they kept their fingers out of the cookie jar.
Originally Posted by LexusChris
yep, when my neighbor bought a traverse, I gave her hell and asked why she didn't buy a ford instead
Ford is the only domestics that I'll support also-besides, they have much "cooler" cars
Old 12-14-10, 10:03 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

pretty ballsy for GM's CEO, who needed help from the government to prop them back up. but at the same time, a good chunk of america probably say the same thing about GM products. i did get to test drive the volt on one of chevrolet's promo tours, and though i liked the full use of electricity, i would much rather have a solid hybrid in place that has proven its effectiveness for the past decade.
Old 12-14-10, 10:11 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually like the latest gen Prius, (something I couldn't say about prior gens).

And I selected a Ford to replace my old Jeep last summer, no GM vehicle was on my radar.
Old 12-14-10, 10:45 AM
vipism
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, the american's do design tougher looking stanced out cars.
it's important to them.

look at chevy malibu, buick lacross, chevy camaro. No weakling, timid designs there.

but let's see how american quality holds up, too early to say.

I can say the lacrosse tranny is pretty pathetic.
Old 12-14-10, 10:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

prius owners are unlikely to buy volts because they cost TWICE AS MUCH!
but the GM CEO is an idiot for dissing a MAJOR competitor.
it's just a bad idea.
he should have said the prius is successful but the volt is better, because....

oh wait, maybe it isn't. oh and it's not available yet.
oh and it's unproven.

fail.
Old 12-14-10, 01:01 PM
TEXASMAJOR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a tasteless comment.
Poor choice of words from someone in his position.
Although, I do find the Prius to be VERY "geeky" because of its technology and gadgets and I would LOVE to be found dead in one over any GM product....except maybe the ZR1, maybe.
Horrible sportsmanship but its expected when you're number one.
Old 12-14-10, 01:38 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i wouldn't buy a prius.
but the volt is a pretty damned ugly car i wouldn't be caught dead in.

Quick Reply: GM CEO: Toyota Prius is a "geek-mobile" that "I wouldn't be caught dead in"