Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2011 Nissan Juke

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-10, 08:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Great review Mike!
Thanks.

Nissan/Infiniti can't design a SUV if their life depended on it so don't beat them up too much
The mechanicals and general build-solidness, actually, are pretty good. But, judging from the looks of the Juke, Murano, and Armada/QX-56, you may have a point in the styling department.

Price seems solid.
Yes, the Juke doesn't cost a ton of cash....but some of that low-price shows up in cost-cutting and the lack of some convienence-items.

I know cargo room is not why people will buy this but do you think its too small ala Infiniti EX? It seems very tiny.
I didn't physically measure each one, but, in general, both looked about the same in interior cargo-volume. The EX (I did an EX review a couple of years ago) sits up higher, is wider, and is done on a somewhat larger chassis/platform, but has an even more-restrictive rear-roofline/hatch-angle than the Juke, which, by proportion, restricts even more cargo room.

Would love to see this drivetrain/engine in a Sentra SE-R or Altima coupe or something.
Yes, I agree. I mentioned to Hoovey2411, above, that I thought it would be a good powerplant for a Sentra SE-R...or, better yet, a Versa SE-R, which would be lighter, quicker, and more agile than a Sentra SE-R.

I still remember the original Sentra SE-R of 1990-91, and what a hot seller it was...being at a local Nissan/Mazda dealer and watching SE-Rs go out the door like free beer. I saw 4 or 5 of them delivered in just one afternoon. Its 140 HP and 5MT, in the compact-car class, was considered a fair amount of spunk back then.
Old 12-10-10, 08:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Any insight on the quality of Nissan paint jobs nowadays?

How are the paintjobs on newer nissans? Are they also inferior?

In general, Nissan paint-jobs, IMO, like those of GM, have improved enormously since around 2000-2004, when Carlos Ghosn's famous cost-cutting regimen, IMO, caused many Nissan vehicles (and even some Infiniti models) to be a clear embarassment. The interiors, despite a little cost-cutting in the Juke's interior-trim, have, in general, improved even more. As far as the paint colors themselves go, though, I wish that Nissan would use some brighter and more cheerful shades on its sedans/SUVs.....though not all, too many of the colors are out of Murphy's Funeral Home.

On the black Juke I reviewed, the general quality of the paint-job, IMO, was excellent....ditto for the silver one parked next to it. Both were smoothly-applied, even in texture, devoid of drips/overruns, and lacked significant orange-peel. The paint-jobs on many of the other Nissan vehicles on the lot were fairly impressive, too.

One of my favorite nissan cars is the older Maxima (97-00), I've driven many of them, they are fantastic cars, but every single one had unacceptable amounts of rust... on the wheel wells, roof, inside every door, inside the trunk, hood, side skirt.... basically every panel, every bolt, underneath the car, you name it; it's everywhere.

Here, in Illinois, where salt is used during winter, I can expect a bit of rust on a 10+ year old daily driven car, but in my opinion the amounts of rust I have seen on these Maximas is simply excessive in every way. It's what's kept me from buying one.

I can't necessarily predict how the Juke's paint-job is going to look after 10 years of a Midwestern winter and salt/abrasives, but it seems well-done, right from the factory. Also, consider that most automakers now warranty their body-panels/sheet-metal/paint-work for 5-10 years and 100,000 miles or more on a rust-through (meaning an actual rust-hole, not just a brown stain or bubble).

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-11-10 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-11-10, 02:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This may (?) be my last review for a little while...I don't know for how long. I know I still have CL-member review-requests pending for the new Ford Explorer, Ford Focus, and Hyundai Equus (the Explorer and Focus still have not been released yet). But doctors discovered a significant blockage problem last week in one of my heart-mains (big, but not critical), and it looks like I might have a by-pass operation soon....possibly next week. Apparantly only one of the heart-mains has a bad blockage...the others, fortunately, are OK. If I'm gone for several days, and don't post, you'll know where I am.

Actually, I feel great, am in good health otherwise, and don't seem to have any problems, even with mild excercise....although I did notice some minor chest pains if I got too involved in swimming or walking briskly. But, if this blockage-problem is not taken care of now, it could lead to some serious problems later....maybe a heart attack.

I'll let you guys know when it's done, I'm back home, and how it went.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-11-10 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-11-10, 02:58 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Very nice review Mike. Take care of yourself and let us know if we can do anything for you! We'll be thinking about you.
Old 12-11-10, 03:10 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck Mike - hope it all goes well. If it's any consolation I know a couple of people who have had by-passes and they've both bounced back to rude good health very quickly.
Old 12-11-10, 10:17 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best of luck Mike!
Old 12-11-10, 10:46 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I think Nissan is doing a big disservice to our young crowd by interjecting new styles that are so distasteful. Young genners are often hungry (and gullable) for something new, so they take up these things without knowing any better. Scion started this with the first xB. Then suddenly driving a mini Astro van was a cool thing. So now driving a squatting, bug-eyed turd is now supposed to be cool? This is not smart for our kids. I'm all for new things, but not ones that are this harsh. What's even worse is the front end's attempt to be butch, while the rear end is extremely femminine. It's time for adrogony!
BTW, doesn't Volvo make a turdmobile with a very similar back end? US Postal Service delivery van roof taillights and all.
Old 12-11-10, 11:14 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, best of luck with the medical procedure and a speedy recovery.

Last edited by IS-SV; 12-11-10 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-12-10, 01:48 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Speedy recovery to you, Mike.
Old 12-12-10, 03:18 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SO SEXY !!!!

hubba hubba.

What the young generation needs is the FT-86. not this crap.
Old 12-12-10, 08:29 AM
Dlewbell
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review. I stopped to check one out the other day (just curious, not shopping), and liked some things, but was disappointed with others. It's awkward looking, but I almost like it. The seats were decent, & I didn't dislike the interior, but was disappointed to see that a center armrest is not even available on the top trim (also an issue with the new CR-Z). In addition, the cargo area is disappointingly small. Nissan lists Juke's cargo volume as 10.5/35.9 (rear seat up/down) For comparison, my Mazda 3 has 17/42.8 and the Mazda has a more usable opening. Size-wise, the Juke seems somewhere in-between the Mazda 2/Fiesta & Mazda 3/Focus, only with a suspension lift.
Old 12-12-10, 10:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks to all the well-wishers. Tuesday I go to a preliminary appointment, and I'll know more about what (and when) will come later. But it looks like I'll be getting major treatment of some kind...probably a by-pass.
Old 12-12-10, 10:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

great review as always. interesting product. given its looks it may well become known as the 'puke' rather than the juke.

i think the 'noticable road noise' as you say is a turn off, but is probably done (using less sound proofing) to keep weight and fuel economy reasonable.

but on a much more important note, best of luck with the op, which these days has become pretty routine although the recovery will be no fun i'm sure - and we all look forward to seeing your posts again soon!!!
Old 12-12-10, 01:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
great review as always.
Thanks, Paul.

interesting product. given its looks it may well become known as the 'puke' rather than the juke.
First time I've heard that one. A more common description is "Joke" rather than "Juke".

i think the 'noticable road noise' as you say is a turn off, but is probably done (using less sound proofing) to keep weight and fuel economy reasonable.
Yes, it's probably skimping on the insulation a little (both for weight and cost-cutting). But. to some extent, this type of vehicle (with a open rear-end and cargo area) tends to transmit road noises from the rear-wheels and axle into the cabin because there is simply less of the car's structure behind the rear seats to block it. Road noise, I remember, was sometimes a problem even in the big station wagons I remember from the 60s and 70s, for that reason. The Lexus RX series, of course, rides quietly in spite of having this type of structure, but Lexus, of course, has always been a master at noise control.

but on a much more important note, best of luck with the op, which these days has become pretty routine although the recovery will be no fun i'm sure - and we all look forward to seeing your posts again soon!!!
Thanks. I probably won't know the details until later in the week. I hope to be done and recovered by Christmas.
Old 12-12-10, 01:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dlewbell
Thanks for the review.
Sure...anytime.

In addition, the cargo area is disappointingly small. Nissan lists Juke's cargo volume as 10.5/35.9 (rear seat up/down) For comparison, my Mazda 3 has 17/42.8 and the Mazda has a more usable opening. Size-wise, the Juke seems somewhere in-between the Mazda 2/Fiesta & Mazda 3/Focus, only with a suspension lift.
The cargo area is small for two reasons. First, the small size of the vehicle itself (it is built on the Versa's platform), and Second, the down-and inward styling of the rear roofline and deck-hatch angle. If you want max cargo efficiency in an SUV, you usually have to go with square, shoe-box styling. Some SUVs do; some don't. But the designers of the Juke probably knew that....they weren't trying to build a mini-Suburban, but something attractive to those who wanted different, look-at-me styling and didn't need a lot of cargo room.

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2011 Nissan Juke