Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Subcompact sales fail to impress; Ford Fiesta and Chevy Aveo selling similarly

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-11, 04:00 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
how can Fiesta have same value as Corolla/Civic? It is one size smaller car that is least versatile among its peers.
Sorry.

I meant Yaris/Fit. Noted and edited.
Old 01-27-11, 07:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Let's see if a solid run-up in gas prices sticks long enough to pump-up these small car sales. Holiday gas price spikes for a few weeks alone won't do it.
And I'm not sure that gas prices alone are really an issue here. The Fiesta, for example, gets 40 MPG on the road, but one can walk right down to the other end of the Ford showroom and look at the Fusion Hybrid, which gets 41 MPG on the road, and is a far bigger, more comfortable car, with a LOT more space inside. Granted, the Fusion Hybrid costs more, and has a more complex hybrid drivetrain, but some of that initial expense is returned in the tax-credits given alternate-fuel vehicles, and in many areas of the country, hybrids have HOV-priviledges for commuters and carpools as well.

In my review of the Fiesta, I also wasn't impressed with its interior-materials quality and the very tight rear-seat room and cargo area.......forget carrying any real adults in back with either the hatchback or sedan. The twin-clutch automanual transmission version also had a noticeable driveline surge/rubber-banding on acceleration, though it was hard to tell whether it was in the transmission's characteristics or a very lean, surge-prone fuel mixture (possibly) required for that high 40-MPG rating without a diesel or hybrid.

However, that's not to say that the Fiesta is a piece of junk, or a sub-standard vehicle....far from it. It has a number of good points to it, and, of course, a relatively low price that will make it affordable to a lot of people.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-27-11 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-27-11, 07:24 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My theory is that subcompact cars are mainly bought by young people and, given the struggling economy, there are few young people buying new cars. It would be interesting to see the breakdown by age ranges of new car buyers in a month.
Old 01-27-11, 07:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caddyowner
My theory is that subcompact cars are mainly bought by young people
That, and perhaps some older retired people on fixed incomes. Not every senior-citizen can afford a high-level Buick or Cadillac....that is a long-held stereotype.

One thing, though, that does drive the sale of larger, heavier cars to older people (and this is not stereotype, but fact). The Defensive-Driving instructors in the classes that many of these senior-citizens take emphasize the role of weight and vehicle-size in crash protection........they often encourage the the people they teach to buy full-size cars. And, of course, many older people like the generally smoother rides that, all else equal, bigger and longer-wheelbase cars provide.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-27-11 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-28-11, 08:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
I was a big fan of the Fiesta until recently when I spent some time with it at the autoshow.
I still like it for style and efficiency but there's a major problem that I think is the sales killer here in the US. Its interior space, or lack thereof.

The Fit and Versa are huge inside - the Versa's interior is actually classified as midsize and it's a sub-compact. The Fit's cargo space looks like an SUV but with a nice deep floor. And the Yaris is Just as roomy as a Corolla. The Japanese are genius space makers.

If you're an adult, forget about riding in the back of the Fiesta. It's a neck breaking procedure getting in. Even the front is cramped.
as i said, style over substance...
Old 01-28-11, 10:28 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

So if car size is classified by interior volume, I'm curious to know what the IS is rated at. In the back it sure feels like a sub compact ... I always tell my friends, it's just a coupe with 4 doors!
Old 01-28-11, 10:40 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
So if car size is classified by interior volume, I'm curious to know what the IS is rated at. In the back it sure feels like a sub compact ... I always tell my friends, it's just a coupe with 4 doors!
Not that it has anything to do with Fiesta, but IS is rated as subcompact based on interior volume, I also view it as a 4 door coupe with easy entry/exit.
Old 01-28-11, 10:45 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And I'm not sure that gas prices alone are really an issue here. The Fiesta, for example, gets 40 MPG on the road, but one can walk right down to the other end of the Ford showroom and look at the Fusion Hybrid, which gets 41 MPG on the road, and is a far bigger, more comfortable car, with a LOT more space inside. Granted, the Fusion Hybrid costs more, and has a more complex hybrid drivetrain, but some of that initial expense is returned in the tax-credits given alternate-fuel vehicles, and in many areas of the country, hybrids have HOV-priviledges for commuters and carpools as well.
I wasn't suggesting gas prices alone are only issue. But if US gas prices spiked to $4-5+ per gallon, I would expect Fiesta sales (and other cars in this class) to jump up in a huge way. 2008 gas price spike and corresponding car sales were strong evidence of what can happen.
Old 01-29-11, 09:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Official Government vehicle size-ratings (EPA, DOT, NHTSA, etc...), yes, are done by interior volume, but car magazines and other reviewers are free, of course, to describe and rate any vehicle as they see fit.

But, remember, interior volume measurments alone don't necessarily tell you much....a lot depends on how that volume is designed and packaged. A vehicle can use its available interior volume very efficiently, like the Honda Fit, Honda Element, Scion xB, Kia Soul, Toyota Matrix, and many square-bodied SUVs, or it can use that volume very inefficiently, like the Mercedes CLS, VW CC, and a number of sports cars.

While there are a number of factors involved (like hybrid battery-packs, for example), in general, the closer a vehicle comes to classic shoe-box styling, the more space-efficient it will be inside.
Old 01-31-11, 08:03 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My roomate got a Fit...it is not a good car. But he's happy, so I'll keep my mouth shut. The Fit is $2k more expensive than the Fiesta sedan...which the whole point of him getting a small car was for the mileage...so he got the more expensive of the two. The one that gets fewer MPGs. And the one with less HP....It makes no sense!!!!!