Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai plans to become "modern premium" brand

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-10, 08:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by chikoo
Most people might be unaware (or not) but Lexus benchmarked it's Luxury ride not on MB or BMW but Buick. It is later on that they started providing a slightly firmer ride in cars such as IS250 to attract BMW cross-shoppers. The ES350 is still following the Buick benchmark.

Even though the IS250 has a firmer ride, it still follows the damping benchmark of a Buick. You will never find the regular IS250 harsh on any type of road, nor will you see any "jiggling your tummy fat" ride like that of an Infiniti or other harsh sport cars.

My 2 cents...
First, please use the multi-quote feature (bottom right side). Second you are completely and 100% wrong here. Read the Lexus story (book) or any review, Lexus went after Benz with the LS, the ES actually won a 10 best award but moved toward Benz in ride. Buick wasn't thought of at all. The 2GS and then 1IS really went after BMW sedan wise. The SC drove very well and sporty at the time.

Buick benchmark? lol

Old 12-12-10, 10:11 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

^I'm actually reading that book now "The Lexus Story". I've noticed a couple small errors in it, such as when they said the SC300 had a V6.

As for the book though they pointed out that they studied Ford's manufacturing technique and went on to improve it and make that system much more efficient with introducing "just in time" manufacturing. But for the most part yes, their comparisons and competition was with MB, BMW, and Jaguar. I don't think I saw Buick mentioned once in the book.

Anyway, completely off topic, back on topic now.

Last edited by Jewcano; 12-13-10 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-13-10, 09:57 AM
vipism
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't say much for branding, but the current sonata has to be the best 4 cylinder drive train out there. It's shifting points on the 6 speed tranny is spot on and make the car feel very nimble, responsive and quick.
Old 12-14-10, 12:18 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Overall cabin build quality and materials approach Lexus standards. Interestingly enough, Toyota says it benchmarked Hyundai's Genesis sedan for interior refinement. How times have changed.
http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/se..._features.html
Old 12-14-10, 04:31 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hyundai definitely have the potential to make upscale cars. I was highly impressed when I sat in the Genesis at last yr's auto show. They do need to remove the negative image so that ppl can see themselves paying $50+k for a Hyundai.