Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NHTSA proposes mandatory backup cameras by 2014

Old 12-03-10, 02:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default NHTSA proposes mandatory backup cameras by 2014

NHTSA proposes mandatory backup cameras by 2014

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is proposing new regulations to mandate back-up cameras in all passenger cars, trucks, minivans and buses with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less. If the proposed law goes into effect, automakers must get 10 percent of the fleet in compliance by 2012, 40 percent by 2013 and 100 percent of new vehicles by 2014.

These measures are being proposed by NHTSA to try and reduce the number of back-over fatalities and injuries that occur on a yearly basis. According to NHTSA, 292 people die every year from back-over accidents while another 18,000 are injured. Will making rearview cameras mandatory help curb this? Is it possible but is this another case where drivers are moving further away from knowing actual driving skills and closer to reliance on digital assistance?

In this case, perhaps not. Rearview cameras simply allow for a better picture of what's going on behind your vehicle, and with rollover standards and the increasing size of vehicles, rearward visibility in new vehicles seems to be getting worse, not better. Still, if NHTSA's proposal becomes law, there will be added cost passed on to consumers. Most luxury vehicles are already equipped with this technology – particularly those with navigation systems – but even if the systems aren't that expensive for automakers to install, they're likely to have a disproportionate impact on the MSRPs of inexpensive models.

U.S. DOT Proposes Rear View Visibility Rule to Protect Kids and the Elderly

Regulation Is Aimed at Preventing Accidental Fatalities and Injuries to Pedestrians in Low-Speed Back-Up Accidents

The U.S. Department of Transportation today proposed a new safety regulation to help eliminate blind zones behind vehicles that can hide the presence of pedestrians, especially young children and the elderly. The proposed rule was required by Congress as part of the Cameron Gulbransen Kids Transportation Safety Act of 2007. Two-year old Cameron Gulbransen, for whom the Act is named, was killed when his father accidentally backed over him in the family's driveway.

"There is no more tragic accident than for a parent or caregiver to back out of a garage or driveway and kill or injure an undetected child playing behind the vehicle," said Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. "The changes we are proposing today will help drivers see into those blind zones directly behind vehicles to make sure it is safe to back up."

The proposal, issued by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), would expand the required field of view for all passenger cars, pickup trucks, minivans, buses and low-speed vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of up to 10,000 pounds so that drivers can see directly behind the vehicle when the vehicle's transmission is in reverse. NHTSA believes automobile manufacturers will install rear mounted video cameras and in-vehicle displays to meet the proposed standards. To meet the requirements of the proposed rule, ten percent of new vehicles must comply by Sept. 2012, 40 percent by Sept. 2013 and 100 percent by Sept. 2014.

"The steps we are taking today will help reduce back-over fatalities and injuries not only to children, but to the elderly, and other pedestrians," said NHTSA Administrator David Strickland. "And while these changes will make a difference, drivers must remember that no technology can, or should, replace full attention and vigilance when backing up. Always know where your children are before you start your car and make sure you check that there is no one behind you before you back up."

NHTSA estimates that, on average, 292 fatalities and 18,000 injuries occur each year as a result of back-over crashes involving all vehicles. Of these, 228 fatalities involve light vehicles weighing 10,000 pounds or less. Two particularly vulnerable populations – children and the elderly – are affected most. Approximately 44 percent of fatalities involving light vehicles are children under five–an unusually high percentage for any particular type of crash. In addition, 33 percent of fatalities involving light vehicles are elderly people 70 years of age or older.

NHTSA is providing a 60-day comment period on this rulemaking that begins when the proposal is published in the Federal Register. The proposal and information about how to submit comments is at: http://www.nhtsa.gov/Laws-Regs
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/03/n...meras-by-2014/
Old 12-03-10, 02:38 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the idea

Plus ... it will help those who can't park
Old 12-03-10, 03:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Why don't NHTSA propose mandatory proper driver education and testing, instead of handing out licenses to every retard with half a brain.
Old 12-03-10, 04:32 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Why don't NHTSA propose mandatory proper driver education and testing, instead of handing out licenses to every retard with half a brain.
Now there is a good idea
Old 12-03-10, 05:15 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

It probably cost to much
Old 12-03-10, 05:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

Normally I would agree with you, but, given the poor (and sometimes very poor) rear-vision on some cars from the styling, mandatory cameras might not be a bad idea. It's not necessarily being a "retard" if you can't see out the back of some vehicles from low rooflines and thick C and D-Pillars.

I just wonder, though, if rear-camera operation is something that would be routinely checked in state safety-inspections (for the states, of course, that have yearly or periodic inspections). Inoperative rear-camera systems can be expensive to repair.
Old 12-04-10, 02:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Toyota has backup cameras on many cars they sell in Japan, they even tried to make them standard on current gen Corolla but couldnt fit it into price for lowest model.

Problem i see is with small cars such as Yaris, Corolla, etc... this will make them more expensive... they should make them mandatory for larger vehicles so customers do not have to pay extra in cheapo cars.

in any case, great for customers, as they are great option and it will lower the price of production...
Old 12-04-10, 07:07 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, this would be neat in a sense that this obviously lead to each car having a screen/monitor/display as standard (even on the cheapest cars).

Old 12-04-10, 10:48 AM
Raralith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Och
Having a backup camera is an amazing piece of technology, and while you could have proper driver education and testing, there are times where you just cannot see behind your car. After using mine for a few months, it enhances your ability by letting you see better in parking lots, when small kids are running around (blame the parents too sometimes *shrug*), and a slew of other things I love about it. Purely from a safety standpoint though, the NHTSA hits the nail right on the head - if you put rear view cameras on cars, you will more than likely not have the almost 300 dealths or 18,000 injuries; you won't fix it, but it will help a lot.
Old 12-05-10, 01:25 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they're just gonna make people lazier and not even do a 360 check when they have a backup camera.

a proper 360 check and a camera is useful, but people are lazy.
Old 12-05-10, 09:22 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Raralith
Having a backup camera is an amazing piece of technology, and while you could have proper driver education and testing, there are times where you just cannot see behind your car. After using mine for a few months, it enhances your ability by letting you see better in parking lots, when small kids are running around (blame the parents too sometimes *shrug*), and a slew of other things I love about it. Purely from a safety standpoint though, the NHTSA hits the nail right on the head - if you put rear view cameras on cars, you will more than likely not have the almost 300 dealths or 18,000 injuries; you won't fix it, but it will help a lot.
It is definitely a nice tech, and I have it on one of my cars, so I appreciate it. However making it mandatory on every car is stupid. It is going to either drive the cost of the cars up, or manufacturers might just sell it at their cost, which won't affect the price of the cars that much, but cut into their profits.

I think a better compromise would be for manufacturers to offer the backup camera as an option on all vehicles. Right now you can only get this feature pretty much only on premium cars.
Old 12-05-10, 09:37 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I've used backup cameras enough to know they they are only useful in some situations.

If you're trying to back out of your parking spot, there could be a car that is coming by (rather quickly), but you probably won't see them in your backup camera. Of course there will be caution and warning labels telling you to look around and not rely on the camera, but that's just a safety net for the manufacturers. We all know in reality, people have grown to be lazy and spoiled by technology so I highly doubt it's going to reduce accidents/injuries. If anything, it could increase that number.
Old 12-05-10, 10:41 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Och
It is definitely a nice tech, and I have it on one of my cars, so I appreciate it. However making it mandatory on every car is stupid. It is going to either drive the cost of the cars up, or manufacturers might just sell it at their cost, which won't affect the price of the cars that much, but cut into their profits.
I agree. You will not see the car companies cutting into their profits for something like this, and the majority of the drivers out there won't pay attention to it anyway. I also agree with the idea that more training on how to drive be required. If you are physically too small to drive the vehicle you want safely, you shouldn't be allowed to own it or drive it, IMO. There ought to be tests for people who want to buy large trucks, especially when they put big tires and hitches and everything else on them. If you walk around the vehicle, inspect what is there, and you still manage to hit it, you cannot buy it. PERIOD. Train, learn how to use mirrors, and get it once you can pass the test.

Big Mack
Old 12-05-10, 10:47 AM
LexFather

Reminds me of the guy that tried to sue Nissan b/c Infiniti lacked a back up cam.

http://www.automotivearticles.com/12...Daughter.shtml

Old 12-05-10, 10:50 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
that is far too logical for govt to wrap its head around

say hello to higher vehicle prices, insurance, and repair costs because these systems arent cheap nor are they free.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NHTSA proposes mandatory backup cameras by 2014