Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which one for you?
Infiniti M56
49.12%
Mercedes Benz E550
33.33%
Sorry no choice for other but if you don't like either vote here
17.54%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

RT: 2011 Infiniti M56 vs. 2010 Mercedes-Benz E550 - Comparison Test

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-10, 09:27 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
The Infiniti is not over priced the E is, base E350 come with nothing on them for 50k, woohoo a Lexus ES350 has more options and power then the E350
The 350 also has a rough, unrefined motor. The old 320 was fine, and when I first drove the 350, I was surprised how awful the motor is. Not that Nissans 3.7 is smooth, but the 350 is just so not Mercedes like.
Old 12-05-10, 12:33 PM
LexFather

The execution between both cars could not be more different. The Benz is staid and all sharp angles with a redirect to its old heritage whereas the Infiniti is all curves and more curves.

As I found in my own test drive the M56 is simply asking for too much money and out priced itself sadly. The E-class is selling briskly and the new M37/56 is struggling. Funny but this relates to my "erosion" thread awhile back that people will simply buy German cars if prices are similar especially with a brand still struggling. That said I would take the M56 over the E550 here. The E-class does absolutely nothing for me inside and out.

I would take the XF, 5 series and CTS-V over both with no hesitation.

What is puzzling is once again, an Infiniti boasts the most or more power and the acceleration times are not faster.

Old 12-05-10, 03:29 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
As I found in my own test drive the M56 is simply asking for too much money and out priced itself sadly.
How exactly did it out price itself?
How much should they sell the M56 for? 35k?
Car for car, in direct comparison with the competition, please explain how Infiniti is asking for too much money with the M56..
Old 12-05-10, 03:37 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

the price may be justified for its amenities but the Japanese brands have always had a certain price advantage. At numbers that are comparable to Mercedes (a brand that is often seen as overpriced), most people would just choose the company with the better name and prestige (I know I would).

Most people wouldnt know that you spent over 60K for your M if you drive it out.
Old 12-05-10, 03:49 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Infiniti is an underdog brand; they are not a world-class Tier 1 luxury brand. They cannot afford to price their products so high.

A nearly loaded M56 for 68K is asking too much. Not even a loaded GS460 costs that much. Even a fully loaded GS450h doesn't reach 68K MSRP. A loaded 550i xDrive comes to around 68-70K MSRP. A regular 550i loaded is about 66-68K MSRP. A loaded E550 comes to about 68K MSRP, and a loaded E550 4Matic is about 70-71K.

When you're charging more than BMW for a loaded sedan, and the same as Benz, there is a problem.

With that said, if I had to choose between the two, I would take the E-Class over the M56 on looks alone. I cannot stand the goofy looks of the Infiniti M. Also I disagree that the E looks staid or conservative. IMO the E looks very sharp, very German, very in-your-face, while at the same time looking expensive and elegant. The market also has spoken, with the new E selling amazingly well. Part of the problem for me with the M is that it looks cheap; it doesn't look expensive.
Old 12-05-10, 04:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
How exactly did it out price itself?
How much should they sell the M56 for? 35k?
Car for car, in direct comparison with the competition, please explain how Infiniti is asking for too much money with the M56..
They need to undercut the competition with price (though the yen is killing Japanese companies). This is still a struggling brand and the car has changed so much off/on in 20 years it still has not established itself. The E class in contrast will sell no matter what it looks like or what its priced like. Its an E-class.

This is an old argument and you refuse to accept the clear answer that has been proven and stated time and time again year and year again. Infiniti makes good cars but they lack the prestige to command MSRP they are asking. We have seen year after year they rely on subsidizing leases and huge discounts off MSRP to sell. You posed this same question in the sales thread a few months ago and I posted and proved this continues to be true with this new model. Discounts out the gate and sales are 1/2 of what the last model sold.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-thread-2.html
If the price wasn't seen as too much money the cars would be FLYING off lots.They are not. Here are results so far with the new model

2010 Sales: M37/56
Mar -- 1,440
Apr -- 1,212
May-- 1,065
Jun -- 1,196
July -- 1,277
Aug -- 1,251
Sep -- 1,460
Oct -- 1,175
Nov -- 1,112 (2nd worst month since debut)

This is 1/2 the rate of the last model. Don't tell us its the recession b/c the 5/E class are selling like its 2005 and the super expensive Porsche Panamara is selling around 700 units a month. Now I don't expect the car or any other car in this class to sell like the 5/E. However it should be at least at 1500 units and even over 2,000 units its first year. It is a new car.

The price is too high. It is not entirely the cars fault, they have been hit hard with the crappy yen like Lexus has and Infiniti advertising/marketing is atrocious and does this car no justice.

Old 12-05-10, 04:17 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Also, if the M is not overpriced, then why is Infiniti offering such nice lease deals and discounts on the car?
Old 12-05-10, 04:19 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Review of the also-rans. Shame they didn't include the King in this competition.
Old 12-05-10, 04:39 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i to think this is a bit high for infinity
Old 12-05-10, 04:58 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
A nearly loaded M56 for 68K is asking too much. Not even a loaded GS460 costs that much. Even a fully loaded GS450h doesn't reach 68K MSRP. A loaded 550i xDrive comes to around 68-70K MSRP. A regular 550i loaded is about 66-68K MSRP. A loaded E550 comes to about 68K MSRP, and a loaded E550 4Matic is about 70-71K.
The M56 is actually a fair bit cheaper than an equivalent 550i. I built an M56 with Sport Touring, Sport and Technology Package for $67,425. Then to get a comparable 550i you have to have Active Ventilated Seats ($2000), Driver Assistance ($1700), Dynamic Handling Package ($2800), Sport Package ($2200), Sports Auto ($500), Active Cruise Control ($2400), Comfort Access ($1000), and Integral Active Steering ($1700). That comes to a grand total of $78,000. That's a $10,000 difference.

Even with the price discrepancy I would probably still go with the 5 though since I prefer the engine, interior, and exterior looks.
Old 12-05-10, 05:14 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

An absolutely loaded 550i with every option available has an MSRP of about 78-80K. I just built one on BMW's website. That includes the M-Sport package, and every other package available. That also includes some options that the Infiniti M does not have. I also went on Infiniti's website, and to get a loaded M56 equipped anywhere close to a 550i M-Sport, the MSRP for the M ends up at 70K. Even with that in mind, the M still lacks certain features and options that the 5 has.

So fair enough, a loaded 550i costs more, but that still doesn't change the ridiculous pricing that Infiniti has on the M. Infiniti is charging roughly as much as Benz is charging for a loaded E-Class and almost as much as BMW with a loaded 550i.

Yes you could load up a E550 to 74-75K as well, but it will have features that Infiniti can only dream of.

Apples to apples, feature for feature, a loaded M56 costs roughly the same as a loaded E550 and a only a bit less than a loaded 550i.
Old 12-05-10, 05:39 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

The M56 reminds me of a whale, and im not feeling the new e-class. please give me a alpine white 550i.
Old 12-05-10, 07:17 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

They need to undercut the competition with price (though the yen is killing Japanese companies).
It's your opinion that they need to undercut the competition, based on your own personal feelings of Infiniti and how you believe the world perceives them.

This is still a struggling brand and the car has changed so much off/on in 20 years it still has not established itself. The E class in contrast will sell no matter what it looks like or what its priced like. Its an E-class.
No, it's a Mercedes. That's why it sells. The C Class is a POS compared to the competition but it still sells ridiculously well (it shouldn't).

This is sort of a weird comparison, but the better car clearly won (Infiniti M). Based on your criteria though, the E Class should cost more because badge wh0res prefer MB 4:1 ?

This is an old argument and you refuse to accept the clear answer that has been proven and stated time and time again year and year again. Infiniti makes good cars but they lack the prestige to command MSRP they are asking. We have seen year after year they rely on subsidizing leases and huge discounts off MSRP to sell. You posed this same question in the sales thread a few months ago and I posted and proved this continues to be true with this new model. Discounts out the gate and sales are 1/2 of what the last model sold.
The product is priced right. Infiniti does not need to be the bargain basement luxury brand to move cars. There's nothing wrong however with offering lease deals to move product - they ALL do - some more than others (BMW anyone?). The point is, compared to the competition, the M56 is priced about right. We can't compare the GS pricing to the M because the next generation is bound to go upwards in price as well.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-thread-2.html
If the price wasn't seen as too much money the cars would be FLYING off lots.They are not. Here are results so far with the new model

2010 Sales: M37/56
Mar -- 1,440
Apr -- 1,212
May-- 1,065
Jun -- 1,196
July -- 1,277
Aug -- 1,251
Sep -- 1,460
Oct -- 1,175
Nov -- 1,112 (2nd worst month since debut)

This is 1/2 the rate of the last model. Don't tell us its the recession b/c the 5/E class are selling like its 2005 and the super expensive Porsche Panamara is selling around 700 units a month. Now I don't expect the car or any other car in this class to sell like the 5/E. However it should be at least at 1500 units and even over 2,000 units its first year. It is a new car.

The price is too high. It is not entirely the cars fault, they have been hit hard with the crappy yen like Lexus has and Infiniti advertising/marketing is atrocious and does this car no justice.
No doubt the higher price has resulted in lower sales, but it's probably due to several factors (as you mention, the yen), but probably mostly because they are eventually going to bring out a lower priced base M25 model (as they did with the G). A base M will bring in more buyers.
Old 12-05-10, 07:30 PM
LexFather

It's your opinion that they need to undercut the competition, based on your own personal feelings of Infiniti and how you believe the world perceives them..
Its not my opinion, its the markets opinion and the market has spoken. This isn't some new find.

No, it's a Mercedes. That's why it sells. The C Class is a POS compared to the competition but it still sells ridiculously well (it shouldn't).

This is sort of a weird comparison, but the better car clearly won (Infiniti M). Based on your criteria though, the E Class should cost more because badge wh0res prefer MB 4:1 ?
The C-class is not a POS. Its a fantastic car. In this comparo the better car won and it wasn't a landslide. Edmunds picked the E class over the M. So they are pretty evenly matched in comparisons. (and again I would pick it over the E-class)

Why are you mad at badge *****s? People have the right to purchase something they feel is better. Mercedes has worked hard to create that image and create a demand for their product Brands would LOVE to have the panache and prestige of Mercedes.

The product is priced right. Infiniti does not need to be the bargain basement luxury brand to move cars. There's nothing wrong however with offering lease deals to move product - they ALL do - some more than others (BMW anyone?). The point is, compared to the competition, the M56 is priced about right. We can't compare the GS pricing to the M because the next generation is bound to go upwards in price as well.

No doubt the higher price has resulted in lower sales, but it's probably due to several factors (as you mention, the yen), but probably mostly because they are eventually going to bring out a lower priced base M25 model (as they did with the G). A base M will bring in more buyers
Infiniti and BMW have subsizied leases like no one else for years now, this is nothing new. Infinit's until this car have always been a "Bargain" to the competition. Now that the price is higher, sales have suffered. I'm not even sure how the hell its a sustainable business model!

Again November had the 2nd lowest amount of sales since the brand new car debuted. That screams there is a problem and price is a part of it.

Old 12-05-10, 07:34 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Not so sure about Mercedes engines but the cars/brand is normally at the bottom of reliability surveys/data.

yes, but for the most part, those surveys only mention random dashboard lights blinking; not engines breaking down.

Benz owners are a bunch of whiners.

i always thought benz engines were pretty solid.

Quick Reply: RT: 2011 Infiniti M56 vs. 2010 Mercedes-Benz E550 - Comparison Test